Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,181 of 3,594
You have too much faith in the average consumer, especially when they may not be exposed to many headphones beyond what's offered in big box stores. If I had the black and red I bet you that they'd ask "are those the new Beats?". :p

And yeah I've had enough black headphones too, even if it's just gunmetal, I'm ok with that colour, just no more black for a while. Although I may be tempted by glossy black...

Totally agree though, get it if you like it, don't make compromises for everyone else when you're the one living with them.

Oddly i never had anyone ask me that question, i have the black momentums (no ivory as far as i can see in canada yet)

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #3,182 of 3,594

You have too much faith in the average consumer, especially when they may not be exposed to many headphones beyond what's offered in big box stores. If I had the black and red I bet you that they'd ask "are those the new Beats?". :p

And yeah I've had enough black headphones too, even if it's just gunmetal, I'm ok with that colour, just no more black for a while. Although I may be tempted by glossy black...

Totally agree though, get it if you like it, don't make compromises for everyone else when you're the one living with them.

True, 

Black is quite common and mainstream for headphones these days but i still think they look hella good looking. I agree but I still think that an average person wouldn't assume that it's a pair of beats but rather ask "oh, what are those, they don't look like beats?". 
Well I'm getting a refund for my browns and purchasing a pair of either the black/reds or ivory's depending on if they can order in another colour or not. 
I'm getting them for a steal of AU$235 so I shouldn't complain either way if I don't have a choice in what colour I can get.

EDIT: I guess the hardest decision is if you'd get over the colour over time becasue after being on the replacement train for so long I'm kinda over getting the brown pair becasue every pair I've received have had defects (big or small)

EDIT: in fact I can actually order in any colour I like...well this makes it impossible ;3 lol I might just decide by picking a colour out of a hat haha.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3,183 of 3,594
Here's my take on the colours:

• Black/red - young professionals with audis/bmw's
• Ivory - Beach holiday hipsters
• Brown - Whiskey and carpet slippers

I've got the brown. At least I can wear it fashionably for the rest of my life.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3,184 of 3,594

Got a pair for my 16 year old daughter -- took her to the store and she immediately took the black pair.  

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #3,185 of 3,594

"beach holidays hipsters" I LOVE IT haha! it's such a unique way to describe it but it fits perfectly! 

Now, I've had a think about some people saying stuff like "black is generic" or "black is mainstream" 

Well, even tho that's partly true in most cases I still think that the design of the black momentums are so unique compared to other "black headphones" with the red accents, real leather components and lastly the steal construction. For example the beats by dr dre with the all plastic glossy goodness that scratches when you lay them on a mountain of feathers is probably a good example of a generic headphone as well as soul by ludacris headphones etc...Even tho some of those headphones do have red accents like the momentums. The construction of the momentums makes the red/black pair unique above everything else out there on the market in my opinion.

me too like the brown momentums, it's only because I've had a rough time with finding a good pair since all the exchanges iv'e had thus far has had marks on the ear cups, stitching mistakes and one pair with a hole in the headband. Sennhesier isn't happy to keep on exchanging them for which is the reason why I'm getting a refund. Also that I had a terrible experience at the store that I bought them from so I want to buy them else where. I'm probably very unlucky and I've received pairs from bad batches or I'm just very picky but I've heard from a gentleman above that the newer black/red or ivory colours may have better QC. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3,187 of 3,594
it was either that, or time-share my LCD-XCs with her, so I think I got off cheap.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3,188 of 3,594
I just assume that all girls chose red/pink/white headphones, so you can take my previous comment as being male-exclusive.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #3,189 of 3,594
  In my honest opinion, I think the Momentum DOES have superior sound in most ways (bass, texture, isolation, resolution) while the HD558 has superior soundstage, 'air'/treble and comfort.

But in a shop through a crappy source, the one that is going to 'wow' people is the one that has more treble, because it will appear to have more resolution/crispness to the sound. 
The fact of the matter is, the Momentum has plenty of resolution and good treble, but the treble is quieter - which makes sense for when it is used in the location it was designed for - busy streets and public transport.

When you're surrounded by noise, the first thing you will lose from your headphones is your perception of bass and bass texture/detail. So instead of having to turn up the volume or the bass on your DAP, the Momentum is a naturally 'dark' sounding headphone. It excels in it's natural habitat.

In a quiet home or shop, the HD558 will sound superior, as it's that kind of quiet environment is where it's sound will excel. 

There's more to A-B'ing headphones than simply trying them out quickly in a shop. 
wink.gif

Indeed. Focal recently released One Spirit S with enhanced bass stating that in noisy places, enhanced bass is necessary to get a neutral sound. Because when it's noisy around, bass is harder to hear than treble and mids.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3,190 of 3,594

Haha, I have a black/red Momentum and drive a BMW 3 series. :) I've never been stereotyped before, lol.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,191 of 3,594

Haha, I have a black/red Momentum and drive a BMW 3 series. :) I've never been stereotyped before, lol.

Wow, already a positive result!   
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,193 of 3,594
  I just assume that all girls chose red/pink/white headphones, so you can take my previous comment as being male-exclusive.

Funny you should say that, I was looking for a new pair of headphones/IEMs because my wife's old IEMs broken down. I saw the Momentums On Ears on sale for $109 and she immediately flocked to the pink ones. Waiting for them to come in now... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back