Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,666 of 3,594
Quote:
confused.gif

I think what he's trying to say is that there is very little to no bass roll off, which probably created the illusion of quite a bassy headphone coming from cheaper headphones that always roll off early. 
Or that they quite simply defy the infantile efforts of modern science and we foolish mortals should come confidently out of our ignorance with this new knowledge.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,667 of 3,594
Quote:
If it weren't for the Soundmagics, the Momentums would be in my cross hairs. I really like the sound and comfort. I haven't heard the SMs yet, but the reviews I've read seem like a perfect match for my sound preference

Then again the AKG K550 fits my preference much better than the Momentums. I can't stand a rolled treble and exagerated bass. Funny how people think the Momentums are neutral. 

Splashy treble or rolled? I'm leaning towards splashy with more detail and a much bigger soundstage with subdued bass and lower price. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,668 of 3,594
Quote:
 I can't stand a rolled treble and exagerated bass. Funny how people think the Momentums are neutral. 

Rolled treble, yes, exaggerated bass, not quite. 
Momentums are almost neutral from 2000Hz all the way to the bottom. 
Take them outdoors into a busy street, and the rolled off treble makes a lot more sense when bass perception is the first thing to disappear amongst the bustle. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,669 of 3,594
Rolled treble, yes, exaggerated bass, not quite. 
Momentums are almost neutral from 2000Hz all the way to the bottom. 
Take them outdoors into a busy street, and the rolled off treble makes a lot more sense when bass perception is the first thing to disappear amongst the bustle. 

Which makes any grado instantly too bright without any use of the eq

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,670 of 3,594
You'd have to crank Grados up pretty loud if you were using them on the go in noisy environments...

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,674 of 3,594
But actually cranking up grados in a noisy place will hurt your hearing first before anyone within 1-2 feet of your headphones can hear anything because it's so noisy.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,675 of 3,594
I have my Momentums for about 2 weeks and have been noticing some crackling in my right earpeace. Should I get them replaced through Amazon or from Sennheiser?
Similar occurrenceshappen to mine too, although it usually ends up being the recording's fault :3. Also mine, every once in a while, randomly gets really staticky and I have to unplug it from my iPhone, and then plug it back in.

And sometimes it randomly pauses or skips a song. Although I have had this conspiracy theory over the past several years that Apple purposely stagnates the fluidity of the older Apple products by introducing glitches, etc that do happen after about a year and a half of owning an ios device. Same things happened with my iTouch 2G after about 1.5 years. Screen turns on at lowest screen brightness, pages in Safari reload every time you switch a tab for 2 seconds(even with my iPhone 4S), typing lags behind 5 clicks, etc.

I'm not paranoid, am I?

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,677 of 3,594
Quote:
Then again the AKG K550 fits my preference much better than the Momentums. I can't stand a rolled treble and exagerated bass. Funny how people think the Momentums are neutral. 

Splashy treble or rolled? I'm leaning towards splashy with more detail and a much bigger soundstage with subdued bass and lower price. 

They do not have exaggerated bass. You don't need too much bass whilst listening to a country song, for instance, and Momentum don't have too much bass in that kind of songs. But if it's a bass heavy genre such as drum'n bass or hiphop, then Momentums can certainly deliver the bass. It's not an unrealistic, disturbing bass like Beats or similar garbage. K550 have a wide soundstage but certainly falls behind Momentums in the bass department. It all comes down to preference in the end. A basshead would most likely prefer Amperior instead of K550 or Momentum.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,678 of 3,594
Quote:
Can anyone reccomend my a eshop where I can buy momentums?

I live in Lithuania and sennheiser stopped selling hi end headphones (including momentum) in my country..
frown.gif

www.amazon.de might be a good option...

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #1,679 of 3,594
Quote:
They do not have exaggerated bass. You don't need too much bass whilst listening to a country song, for instance, and Momentum don't have too much bass in that kind of songs. But if it's a bass heavy genre such as drum'n bass or hiphop, then Momentums can certainly deliver the bass. It's not an unrealistic, disturbing bass like Beats or similar garbage. K550 have a wide soundstage but certainly falls behind Momentums in the bass department. It all comes down to preference in the end. A basshead would most likely prefer Amperior instead of K550 or Momentum.

I have never tried the Amperior, but I have heard some people say that the Amperior is more neutral than the Momentums.

Quote from user KG Jag: "No the Amperior has a neutral sound signature.  It's the Momentum that is a semi-lifestyle can with more bass; but it's not enough more to make it a bassshead can."

I don't think any of those three headphones are bassy enough for any basshead to enjoy. I also wouldn't categorize either the K550 or Momentum as having exaggerated bass especially when compared to other headphones in this category such as the Sony MDR-1R, UE6000, Ultrasone Pro 900, or V-Moda M100 (those headphones definitely have more bass-emphasis than the AKG K550 and Momentum from my comparisons).

However, I thought there were slight differences in the bass between the K550 & Momentum when I tried them, so I can see that someone may prefer one over the other.

From my personal experience, I thought that the K550 bass extended deeper down to lower frequencies while the Momentums may have a slight bass quantity boost over the K550. I personally found the bass of the K550 to be nicer, more detailed, and textured compared to the Momentums, while the Momentums had slightly more bass quantity. However, they both sounded nice and also I feel like their sound is very dependent on their fit, so if the headphones don't fit well for you, you may not enjoy the sound as much.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,680 of 3,594
Quote:
I have never tried the Amperior, but I have heard some people say that the Amperior is more neutral than the Momentums.

Quote from user KG Jag: "No the Amperior has a neutral sound signature.  It's the Momentum that is a semi-lifestyle can with more bass; but it's not enough more to make it a bassshead can."

I don't think any of those three headphones are bassy enough for any basshead to enjoy. I also wouldn't categorize either the K550 or Momentum as having exaggerated bass especially when compared to other headphones in this category such as the Sony MDR-1R, UE6000, Ultrasone Pro 900, or V-Moda M100 (those headphones definitely have more bass-emphasis than the AKG K550 and Momentum from my comparisons).

However, I thought there were slight differences in the bass between the K550 & Momentum when I tried them, so I can see that someone may prefer one over the other.

From my personal experience, I thought that the K550 bass extended deeper down to lower frequencies while the Momentums may have a slight bass quantity boost over the K550. I personally found the bass of the K550 to be nicer, more detailed, and textured compared to the Momentums, while the Momentums had slightly more bass quantity. However, they both sounded nice and also I feel like their sound is very dependent on their fit, so if the headphones don't fit well for you, you may not enjoy the sound as much.

Hmm, I've never tried the Amperior either, but I've read some reviews saying they are more suitable for bassheads than Momentums, but obviously some of these reviews can be misleading.

K550 and Momentum are both amazing headphones. K550 is more suitable for home use though, and I have open back Q 701 for that. As much as AKG promote them as somewhat portable, they're too big to be truly so. Momentums are much more portable and fit better on my head, K550 is better for people with big heads.I like AKG but Momentum are better "portable, stylish headphones with a sound quality that can satisfy audiophiles".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back