Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #31 of 560
Today, firmware 2.4.22 was released, as was version 4.0.5 for the "Smart Control" app. This seems to have fixed the connectivity issues we had in the 2.3.9 firmware btw.

May 10, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 560
Today, firmware 2.4.22 was released, as was version 4.0.5 for the "Smart Control" app. This seems to have fixed the connectivity issues we had in the 2.3.9 firmware btw.
Hi mate, I did some testing and i think the same as you the ANC is just behind Sony but by putting foam tips on the MTW3 i think will make them equal in that regard.

what EQ settings you using and decided on. ? I do find the MTW3 are brighter than the 2 and seem less punchy than the sony

also i wish they had put some sort of case battery reading in the app like sony or in the iphone battery app as it seems silly to keep opening and shutting the case lid to see what the battery led colour is as they have removed the button to check like on the 2s,

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #33 of 560
Hi mate, I did some testing and i think the same as you the ANC is just behind Sony but by putting foam tips on the MTW3 i think will make them equal in that regard.

what EQ settings you using and decided on. ? I do find the MTW3 are brighter than the 2 and seem less punchy than the sony

also i wish they had put some sort of case battery reading in the app like sony or in the iphone battery app as it seems silly to keep opening and shutting the case lid to see what the battery led colour is as they have removed the button to check like on the 2s,
I use the standard "flat" EQ right now. I don't think that they're very bright, just very clean and detailed, spacious and airy sounding. I love that and I love their tuning. To me they are honestly one of the best sounding true wireless sets I have ever listened to so far, even though I can see why some people might prefer the B&O EQ or EX or even the B&W PI7. I don't.

Yes, they are brighter than the Sony but that's because the XM4 aren't bright whatsoever. Quite the opposite even. Also, I do find the MTW3 punchy! Just not as bloated and muddy in the bass as the XM4 in their stock EQ. It's a clean, well textured and elegantly tuned bass imo. Consumer friendly, yes, but not bloating into the mids while fairly fast and articulate. Just my cup of tea. It might take a while to get used to it if you come from the XM4 :D

Agree on the battery status of the case in the app, though. That would be really nice and is much better on the XM4.

May 11, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #34 of 560
I use the standard "flat" EQ right now. I don't think that they're very bright, just very clean and detailed, spacious and airy sounding. I love that and I love their tuning. To me they are honestly one of the best sounding true wireless sets I have ever listened to so far, even though I can see why some people might prefer the B&O EQ or EX or even the B&W PI7. I don't.

Yes, they are brighter than the Sony but that's because the XM4 aren't bright whatsoever. Quite the opposite even. Also, I do find the MTW3 punchy! Just not as bloated and muddy in the bass as the XM4 in their stock EQ. It's a clean, well textured and elegantly tuned bass imo. Consumer friendly, yes, but not bloating into the mids while fairly fast and articulate. Just my cup of tea. It might take a while to get used to it if you come from the XM4 :D

Agree on the battery status of the case in the app, though. That would be really nice and is much better on the XM4.
Hi there.

I have not used the Sony mx4 for weeks and went back to the mtw2. All I noticed was the mtw2 had a little more punch maybe it’s because the mtw3 have been cleaned up abit in there sound sig and more separation and may just need broken in, I need to get used to them.

The Sonys when I used them had alot of overly warm sound and did lose detail but you could dial them in with the eq but still sounded warm and less detailed to the mtw2.

The mtw3 I tried late last night and I was totally amazed how the ANC works on these as they are very close to the Sonys and think they would be on par with foam tips.

Going to try them today out and about and talking both the tmw2 and 3 out and keep swapping and see how they fair.

But these do sound Better than the tmw2

I have just tried these on a bus and they block a lot of sound out when moving just as good as the Sonys and miles better than the twm2 but what I really Don’t like about the ANC is adaptive ANC it keeps altering to your environment and I hope they add an option in the settings that let you have it full On as it feels like the i ears are changing pressure all the time because it keeps changing

Might send them an email asking to add this as there is no need not to have this option.

Also what happened to that setting where it let you use high sound quality

Also I wish they added a tip size between medium and large as one of my ears it feels a little small on the medium but gets a seal just and the large just are to big needed a in between size.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #35 of 560
Agree that it would be nice to have an option to manually put the ANC to "max" instead of just "adaptive" but I also haven't felt the pressure changing in the ear so far because of it.

I use the large tips and they seal well for me, luckily. No problems there. I think they have never provided a size between M and L, though, have they?

The "High End Sound Tuning" mode is honestly just another "refined" EQ setting to me and always has been. The MTW2 benefitted from it but their stock EQ also wasn't that great imo. So, it was good there. The MTW3 sound pretty great out of the box for me, so I don't mind the "HEST" not being there as an option. If Sennheiser feel like it improves the sound, they can still add it as an option later down the road but I don't see why they would really need to here.

May 11, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #36 of 560
Just been outside and went to work and the ANC picks up a lot of wind distortion even in a very very light breeze. I never noticed this with the 2s or the Sonys. I stood in one spot with the 3s with very slight and I mean slight breeze and it was sending distortions into the ear. Took them out and put the twos in and they don’t. Have this problem. Also the few weeks with the Sony I can jot remember them doing to u less it was very windy which is understandable.

Have you tried walking around outside ina slight breeze they seem to pick it up to much to me. Hope this can be fixed will compare with the Sonys tomorrow but I am sure they where not as sensitive to this

May 11, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #37 of 560
Just been outside and went to work and the ANC picks up a lot of wind distortion even in a very very light breeze. I never noticed this with the 2s or the Sonys. I stood in one spot with the 3s with very slight and I mean slight breeze and it was sending distortions into the ear. Took them out and put the twos in and they don’t. Have this problem. Also the few weeks with the Sony I can jot remember them doing to u less it was very windy which is understandable.

Have you tried walking around outside ina slight breeze they seem to pick it up to much to me. Hope this can be fixed will compare with the Sonys tomorrow but I am sure they where not as sensitive to this
I had a similar experience with the Beoplay EQ in windy conditions . They were very sensitive for that in my experience.

The MTW3 do have an "anti wind" mode but you need to activate it in the app only. Might be of help if it is windy!

Edit: I was just outside and it's been pretty windy here, despite being warm and sunny :D I only had the left bud in my ears, though, and there was no noticeable wind noise at all! I will now test it with both buds in and see if there's a difference for me...

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #38 of 560
I had a similar experience with the Beoplay EQ in windy conditions . They were very sensitive for that in my experience.

The MTW3 do have an "anti wind" mode but you need to activate it in the app only. Might be of help if it is windy!

Edit: I was just outside and it's been pretty windy here, despite being warm and sunny :D I only had the left bud in my ears, though, and there was no noticeable wind noise at all! I will now test it with both buds in and see if there's a difference for me...
It’s not even wind its just a breeze. I know about the wind option but never needed to use it on the Sony unless you could feel the wind. Also the 2s as you know are weak ANC but they don’t have the wind problem when I tried both in the same Place.

Going to compare them to the Sonys with them next time to see if they do it but I am sure the Sonys did not as I tend to notice stuff like that.

When I use the wind option does it still use the same level of ANC ?

Anyhoo I think they need to tweak it and make less sensitive to very light breeze as it’s interfering with the audio and it’s distracting you should
Only need to use the wind setting in windy conditions not a very very light breeze

Also there’s a bug in the app when you use wind option and then Go to anc on it still stays in wind option you need to turn it off then go to on for it to select the right setting

I had to do a hard reset this morning to as the sound went really weak but this only happened when I was jumping from the 2s and 3s to test them out so not to sure if the app sent some settings from the 2s to the 3s and borked something. The app does not seem to like two different sets as it gets abit fuzzy

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #39 of 560
It’s not even wind its just a breeze. I know about the wind option but never needed to use it on the Sony unless you could feel the wind. Also the 2s as you know are weak ANC but they don’t have the wind problem when I tried both in the same Place.

Going to compare them to the Sonys with them next time to see if they do it but I am sure the Sonys did not as I tend to notice stuff like that.

When I use the wind option does it still use the same level of ANC ?

Anyhoo I think they need to tweak it and make less sensitive to very light breeze as it’s interfering with the audio and it’s distracting you should
Only need to use the wind setting in windy conditions not a very very light breeze

Also there’s a bug in the app when you use wind option and then Go to anc on it still stays in wind option you need to turn it off then go to on for it to select the right setting

I had to do a hard reset this morning to as the sound went really weak but this only happened when I was jumping from the 2s and 3s to test them out so not to sure if the app sent some settings from the 2s to the 3s and borked something. The app does not seem to like two different sets as it gets abit fuzzy
So, the wind was definitely much more audible with both buds in and ANC adaptive activated. I then switched on anti wind mode and it was much better. Seems like as of now at least, anti wind might be needed in these situations. Not sure if anti wind offers the same ANC level, honestly. Haven't really tested that yet. They will hopefully improve that still in future firmware updates.

The (fairly new) app definitely also needs some more polish, for sure!

May 11, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 560
been looking at some tips and i think the spinfit cp360 fit these i cannot seem to find the dimensions of the tips for the 3s but i tried to measure and they look like

original
mediums 13mm wide by 7 or 8mm high not sure on hight
large 15mm wide by 7 or 8mm high not sure on hight

i need to get the specs on the tips to make sure what size they are.

I need something in between as one of my ears does not fit to snuggly

the XL spinfits are 14mm wide by 8,5 high

so trying to find different sizes between the mediums and large of the originals but i am not sure if i need wider or longer

cannot see anything which is the same 13mm wide but by say 9 to 10mm higher or 14mm wide to 9 to 10mm higher. adn not sure on the size of the centre for the fit but looks like the MTW3 are the same tips as the 2s .

hope someone can post some suggestions for different sizes in that area.

May 12, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #42 of 560
Do you think rubber bands that help with the fit would also will help with passive ANC as the will give you a 2nd seal on the outside of the ear possibly?
Great question! No they are primarily for stability. Also, housekeeping notes: passive cancellation is not a thing, as cancellation is always a powered endeavor in a battery-operated headphone/earphone, as the DSP requires a power source. You're thinking of isolation, which occurs passively via the ear coupling. However it has been called passive cancellation for years now so it's common to see.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 12, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #43 of 560

The new design's rounded edges reduce wind noise—aerodynamics FTW!

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 12, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #44 of 560
For anyone interested, I'll be unboxing a set of Momentum True Wireless 3 aka MTW3 LIVE on Thursday, May 12th at 7:30pm New York Time on the Pyro Audio Instagram. I'll have an MTW2 on hand, and the trusty calipers, too!

May 12, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 560
The new design's rounded edges reduce wind noise—aerodynamics FTW!
Well it’s not Working as any slight breeze introduces interference into the ear and starts to interfere with the sound. They are way to sensitive at picking this up and it needs correcting as it’s making these unusable outside for me with ANC on. And I don’t think the wind option should be used here until it’s well very windy.

And it goes by turning of ANC but if your going to do that I might as well just go back the Version 2s

The Sony xm4 don’t have this problem. And they have the same wind option if needed which I used to use in very windy days not breezy days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back