Sennheiser PX 100: White or black?
Jan 8, 2006 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

vak

New Head-Fier
I was looking around for the Sennheiser PX 100 in stores and could not find it. I looked online and found that I can buy it at Circuit City, but it would be white. It is listed as a "PX 100W", but I assume the W is just because it is white, right? It is the same as the Sennheiser PX 100, right? White Sennheiser PX 100 headphones with a white iPod video is pretty cool though.

Here is the link: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sennh...oductDetail.do

I'm just curious, who has a Sennheiser PX 100 which is white, and who has a Sennheiser PX 100 which is black? Which do you prefer, and why?

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 49
We bought my Mom (with 5G Video iPod) the white ones and they look somewhat cheap, but match better with the styling of the white iPods. The gray ones are much nicer looking. Both come with the same case. I spent about 6-8 hours listening to the white and have at least 20-30 hours on the gray - they sound the same.

For the price, I don't think you can find a better headphone. They do require some burn-in time to open up and sound their best so take that into consideration the first time you listen to them.

You can get the gray ones from Headroom at headphone.com & Amazon.com. Steer clear of Circuit City.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 49
depends on your style. one of my siblings almost killed me after realizing that they made PX100s in white and didn't have to settle for the black (i like black).

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 49
Why steer clear of Circuit City? Besides, I can use their "get the headphones ready in 24 minutes or get a $24 gift card" and pick it up right there. Why not?

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 49
I have the black one, but I think I like the white better... looks clean...
580smile.gif

I bought mine on Amazon.com for US$40. I think thats about the best price you can get.

AintLDS is spot on to say that at this price, you won't get anything better than PX100. The Porta Pro will probably come close... some like Porta Pro better, but I stick to PX100...
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vak
Why steer clear of Circuit City? Besides, I can use their "get the headphones ready in 24 minutes or get a $24 gift card" and pick it up right there. Why not?

Circuit City - $59.99 (full list)
Amazon - $44.99 + free ship
Headroom - $49.99 + free ship + 30 day no hassle return policy

You have some options there. Good luck.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vak
White Sennheiser PX 100 headphones with a white iPod video is pretty cool though.

No, it's not cool
tongue.gif

I have the black one. This is my second black PX100 (I lost the first one). Some reasons off the top of my head:
- Black says "audiophile" moreso than white in my mind.
- I love the iPod but I'm getting tired of everything being made white to match the iPod. I'm glad Apple produced the black iPod video as a second regular color. I wasn't a fan of the U2 iPod.
- Out in public, I think black will be more low key and less attention seeking than the white one.

I intend to buy a black iPod video but that's got nothing to do with it. I may be vain but not vain enough to try to match the color of my headphone and DAP.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
No, it's not cool
tongue.gif

I have the black one. This is my second black PX100 (I lost the first one). Some reasons off the top of my head:
- I love the iPod but I'm getting tired of everything being made white to match the iPod. I'm glad Apple produced the black iPod video as a second regular color. I wasn't a fan of the U2 iPod.
- Out in public, I think black will be more low key and less attention seeking than the white one.

I intend to buy a black iPod video but that's got nothing to do with it. I may be vain but not vain enough to try to match the color of my headphone and DAP.

White would stand out, but maybe that's a good thing. ^^

I'm not sure. Heh, when I finally decide on a pair of headphones, now I can't decide on the color of the headphones. Also, if I go with white, I can just get it from Circuit City tomorrow.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 49
White wont stand out when it gets dirty. Black always looks black. I have had the blacks for 2 years. I use them for running and they sure have been though a lot of sweat and dirt...they still look...black/new?

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
No, it's not cool
tongue.gif

So what is your opinion of the AKG K701?

Why not search out the overpriced limited edition ones, the "HD-414 like" ones that have the yellow pads?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 49
I've got both black (purchased 2003) and white PX100's and use them with a Sony NW-HD5H portable.

Apparently Sennheiser changed the voice coil material from copper to aluminium some time in early 2005 and I bought the white version to see what difference it made to the sound - until quite recently, they were the only ones you could be sure of having the new material. If you are buying the black version you might want to check when they were made.

I prefer the 'new' sound - there is noticeably more presence and detail in the midrange and I don't get the feeling that the treble might be recessed like before. Bass is less prominent than before but probably more balanced. My old phones are sitting unused in a drawer now.

But black PX100's definitely look better on the head
orphsmile.gif
!

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Why not search out the overpriced limited edition ones, the "HD-414 like" ones that have the yellow pads?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've got some of them, but I got them at the same price as the ordinary black ones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Me like 'em lots!

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 49
The best-looking version is the Retro edition (with the yellow earpads), of course!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back