Sennheiser voids your warranty if you buy at too much of a discount????
Jan 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thatonedude

New Head-Fier
I was told it was something like 10% but hat seems odd to me. Any dealers know of this info for their top top line". I've seen reputable dealers selling at much greater discounts,

Thanks

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 7
I bought a pair of HD 555s a few years ago heavily discounted (new though) sold by Amazon. When they had the inevitable cracking issue, they replaced them with the new 558s without an issue. As long as you buy from a legitimate authorized dealer you should be fine. I don't know if their policies have changed, but this is from my first hand experience. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes, this information came from headamp.com, whom I've done business with in the past, It pertains to hd800s.

Thanks

I bought through Meier, which from the MSRP is more than 10% cheaper, no problems to speak of.
Specifically at that time I paid $1320.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 7
Maybe it has more to do with accredited (official?) dealers or something?  Some headphones or any products are called grey market, instead of passing through an official distributor, some just order a batch from wherever (at a lower price), and then sell them, then the distributor which is often who honors the warranty, well, obviously doesn't have to honor the warranty...  And yeah usually grey market products cost less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 7
  Maybe it has more to do with accredited (official?) dealers or something?  Some headphones or any products are called grey market, instead of passing through an official distributor, some just order a batch from wherever (at a lower price), and then sell them, then the distributor which is often who honors the warranty, well, obviously doesn't have to honor the warranty...  And yeah usually grey market products cost less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

I think this is on target, after taking a look at the Sennheiser warranty for the USA.

It reads in relevant part -
(the full warranty statement: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-services-warranty-conditions):

WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER
Counterfeit or "Grey Market" product or products purchased from any non-authorized Sennheiser dealer.
Damage or inoperability caused by inadequate repair work performed by the end user or any non-authorized repair center.
Products where the identification label, serial number or safety label has been removed or altered.
Other manufacturer's equipment or reimbursement for said equipment that has been used in conjunction with a Sennheiser product.
Inoperability due to lack of reasonable maintenance and care as determined by SEC. Accessories or consumable items such as, but not limited to:
  1. Batteries
  2. Ear bud covers
  3. Ear cushions and/or headphone padding
  4. Cable clips
  5. Foam microphone windscreens
  6. Cases
Damage: This warranty does not cover any physical and/or electrical damage resulting from, but not limited to:
  1. Accident
  2. Misuse
  3. Abuse
  4. Malicious destruction
  5. Acts of nature
  6. The temporary or permanent affixing of any items supplied or not supplied by the manufacturer with any adhesive, fastener or the like.
  7. Use of batteries, power supplies or any other sources of power not specifically recommended by the manufacturer.
  8. Inadequate repair work performed by the end user or any non-authorized repair center.

[Emphasis added]

That's it - the entire "Warranty Does Not Cover" section.
And that''s for all Sennheiser products sold in the USA, according to another section of the warranty
(available at the link above).
Quite definite, concise and clear; IMHO.

Moreover, there's nothing indicated on any dealer site or anywhere, actually,
about the warranty being void or reduced solely because of purchase at a discount.

If I were the OP, I'd question headamp.com about this issue a bit further
to see if and how they claim it as a fact.  Because I don't see any backup
for it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back