Sennheisser MX 980 vs. IE 8
Apr 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

nengerlf

Head-Fier
I did a very short and quick comparison of my Sennheiser MX 980 and IE 8.

Here is my conclusion:

MX 980 is earbud version of IE 8
or the other way around
IE 8 is IEM version of MX 980

At least it sounds like this for me :)

Is it possible that both share the same driver / transducer?
For me they sound so close to each other that it could be like that.
I think someone who like the sound of MX 980 also will like IE 8 and vice versa.

Of course there are noticeable differences.
I think it is not possible that there are no differences because one is earbud and the other IEM.

But still they sound so similar to me that it is amazing :)

IE 8 is quite comfortable for an IEM, but MX 980 is even more comfortable.
MX 980 has strong cable noise whereas IE 8 has only little if any cable noise.
IE 8 has more bass, more deep and more strong but I like the bass on MX 980 as well and consider it as quite neutral.
With MX 980 music is a little more far away from your head.
MX 980 sounds more open what I like very much.
IE 8 sounds more full and rich.

So there is no clear winner.
There are advantages for both and disadvantages for both compared to each other.
But still they sound very close to each other from the way I feel the music when I listen to them.

Please be aware that I only did a real little comparison, nothing deep or scientific :)
I just did listen to a few songs with both and did listen how it sounds to my ears.

Overall conclusion so far:

I like both very much and they sound to my ears like sharing the same or at least a similar driver.
I feel I am pretty good prepared for all kind of music with these two fantastic earphones.

Due to the fact that I dont like to feel an IEM in my ear channcel, even if IE 8 is really very comfortable in this regard, and the fact that MX 980 sounds more open - I prefer in general open headphones over closed headphones - I think I will use MX 980 more often. This does of course not mean that IE 8 is inferior.

For me somehow both match each other soundwise.
I think some of you may disagree in this regard but for me it looks like that and I am quite happy with both :)

Any comment, own experience or additional information is welcome!

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 88
This is what I've been waiting for
smily_headphones1.gif
finally an impression of MX 980, can you describe more about it's sound? And it would be good if you could give a comparison between MX 980 and PK1, since I'm interested in both
tongue.gif
thanks

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 88
They definitely do not share the same transducer since IE8 uses a 9mm transducer than is too small for MX980. IIRC, Jude said that MX980 uses the same type of transducer found on Senn. MX-W1, so it is probably a 14mm dynamic driver.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 88
I agree that MX 980 are great earbuds, the only thing I disagree with however, as I said before, is the cable noise, which to me is quite non-existent. But maybe that is because I'm coming from CX 870 which had horrible cable noise
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by emti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I've been waiting for
smily_headphones1.gif
finally an impression of MX 980, can you describe more about it's sound? And it would be good if you could give a comparison between MX 980 and PK1, since I'm interested in both
tongue.gif
thanks

Sound of MX 980 is fantastic.
Please see this post for my first impression:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/y...ml#post6560961

I am also interested in the comparison between MX 980 and PK1.
Unfortunately I don't own any Yuin earbud and so can not compare my MX 980 to it.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They definitely do not share the same transducer since IE8 uses a 9mm transducer than is too small for MX980. IIRC, Jude said that MX980 uses the same type of transducer found on Senn. MX-W1, so it is probably a 14mm dynamic driver.

Thanks for this information!
From where you have the information regarding 9mm transducer in IE 8?
Do you have any additional information about IE 8?

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review. id get these soon

Thanks!
But please dont't forget that it was no scientific review and so take it with a pinch of salt please :)

It's just my personal impression and maybe also guided a little by the fact that I am a real earbud lover.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@nengerlf, any mid-bass hump in MX980?

I'm not sure, but at least I did not notice this till now.

To be honest I not know how exactly to test this in a good way to give a reliable answer to your querstion. Do you have any idea or maybe a specific song which would be good for testing this?

Till now I consider overall bass quality of MX 980 as quite good.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by nengerlf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure, but at least I did not notice this till now.

To be honest I not know how exactly to test this in a good way to give a reliable answer to your querstion. Do you have any idea or maybe a specific song which would be good for testing this?

Till now I consider overall bass quality of MX 980 as quite good.

Sorry I can't explaine well too. Here is a link to frequency graph of IE8. You will notice several decibels higher at around 100Hz, which is the mid-bass hump. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Phones with mid-bass hump tends to have a muddier sound, vocals lacking clarity, or some strings can sound too thick. I suggest trying some male vocals or some bass guitars. However, to some ears the mid-bass hump is never an issue. If you compared a neutral and good transparency IEMs with IE8, you will realise the infamous mid-bass hump of IE8
normal_smile .gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 88
I have both the MX980 and IE8 and I don't hear at all that the MX980 has the mid-bass hump that the IE8 somewhat suffers from. Although I find it can be difficult to compare the sound of IEM's vs. earbuds, I do much more prefer the sound of my MX980 over my IE8.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by nengerlf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this information!
From where you have the information regarding 9mm transducer in IE 8?
Do you have any additional information about IE 8?

I once saw a thread on a Chinese forum by a brave soul who cracked open his IE8 just to have a look. The mechanical design for the bass port is fairly intriguing but it is a relatively small transducer.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will notice several decibels higher at around 100Hz, which is the mid-bass hump. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Phones with mid-bass hump tends to have a muddier sound, vocals lacking clarity, or some strings can sound too thick. I suggest trying some male vocals or some bass guitars. However, to some ears the mid-bass hump is never an issue. If you compared a neutral and good transparency IEMs with IE8, you will realise the infamous mid-bass hump of IE8
normal_smile .gif

Thanks for this very good explanation!

I did just now compare the two again and I can confirm that IE 8 sounds like suffering from this mid-bass hump but MX 980 does not suffer from it, not at all.

IE 8 really sounds somewhat muddier than MX 980.
And even more noticeable, human voices sound more clear and more natural with MX 980. Most of all the male voices.

With some songs I really NOT like the reproduction of human voices with the IE 8, but I like and enjoy it with the same songs with my MX 980 :)
I did not find any song where it is the other way round.
Human voices always sound as good as or even clear better with MX 980 than with IE 8.
A big advantage for MX 980.

The more I compare both the more I prefer MX 980 over IE 8.
The overall impression of sound both deliver looks like very close to each other, at least in the beginning.
But the more deep I compare them the more MX 980 beats IE 8 for me.

Yesterday I told there is no clear winner.
Today after additional comparison I have to revise my conclusion:
The clear winner for my ears is MX 980.
For me a new king is born :)

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the MX980 and IE8 and I don't find at all that the MX980 has the mid-bass hump that the IE8 somewhat suffers from. Although I find it can be difficult to compare the sound of IEM's vs. earbuds, I do much more prefer the sound of my MX980 over my IE8.

I 100% agree!
No comment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back