SF South Bay Meet - Saturday, November 3, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2018 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

jazzfan

1000+ Head-Fier
Calling All SF South Bay Head-Fiers, this meet is finally happening!
[Last updated 11/02/18 - See New tag ]
Attendance is now at capacity, but check back for updates​

INTEREST THREAD for this meet.

What

2018 SF South Bay Head-Fi Meet

Admission: Free

This mini-meet is open to all, on a first come first served basis. Due to limited seating, attendance is capped at 12 max. and we are currently at capacity . If you wish to be placed on a waiting list, post a request in this thread and your name will be added to the list.

To all attendees, if your equipment is currently not listed below, list the equipment you wish to bring in a post to @jazzfan in this thread. I'll update the equipment section of this post as needed.

When

Date: Saturday, November 3, 2018
Time: 1:00pm to 5:00pm (Our time may be extended beyond 5:00pm if no one has the room booked after our meet)

Where

Central Park Library
2635 Homestead Road
Santa Clara, CA 95051

Parking: Free
Entering the driveway from the street, library parking is to your right (parking on the left is reserved for church parking only). Below ground parking is also available.

Sycamore Conference Room (located on the 1st floor towards the rear of the building on the right)

IMG_4582.jpg

Conference Room Accommodations
  • 1 large conference room table with 10 chairs
  • 8 electrical outlets in the center console of conference room table
  • 3 additional wall outlets around the room
  • 1 Whiteboard
  • 1 Wall-mounted Flatscreen Monitor
  • Free public Wi-Fi is available (Network name or SSID: CSC-Public - no password required)

Library Rules
  • Room capacity maximum 12.
  • No food is allowed. Covered drinks are allowed.
  • No additional chairs are allowed in the conference room.
  • Room must be clean upon leaving.

Meet Rules

Nametags:
These won't be needed. However unofficial Head-Fi name tents will be provided for each confirmed attendee. You may elect to write your given name on the name tent, but this is optional. Name tents will help people identify who you are if they would like to ask permission to try your equipment if you step away.

Permission:
Generally, a rig is set up to be shared, so people should be able to try your rig when it's available. However, if you prefer them to ask before touching anything, please indicate so on the name tent by your equipment. Remember before moving/reconfiguring any setup, always ask the owner first.

Theft/Liability:
Neither the organizer or the library are accountable for any possible theft or damage to your equipment. We encourage anybody that may notice something suspicious to say something. Look out for each other's items - such as somebody pocketing gear that you know does not belong to them. Challenge them to ask them where they bought it, or report them to organizer or the library staff.

Talking:
We will all be in one conference room so please use a 'moderate' voice so that people can do critical listening.

Remember to always treat fellow Head-Fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.

FAQs

Q: Can I bring a guest with me?
A: Yes, however be aware there is a library imposed limit of 12 people in the conference room. If we exceed that limit, library staff may ask that some individuals leave.

Q: Do I need to bring any gear?
A: It is recommended to contribute, but feel free to come just for the experience.

Q: What should else should I bring?
A: Make sure to bring your own power strip and extension cords if you are bringing gear.

Additional Tips

TIPS FOR THOSE NEW TO MEETS

Who

Attendees/Gear

@Howell Selburn

@JVal
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD800 w/Norne Audio Draug v3
Fostex TH900 w/Lawton Level 3 mod
Focal Utopia w/Norne Audio Draug
E-MU Teak w/Lawton mod and TH900 cups
AKG K812

Source/Amps/Misc
:
Gustard A20H DAC/Amp

@calbear
Headphones:
Stax 3010 (earspeaker and energizer)
Stax Lambda Professional
Stax SR Gamma Pro
Stax SRD-P ("portable" energizer run by 8 C batteries and two plugs for two earspeakers)
Stax SRS002 (portable energizer and in-ear earspeakers)
Koss ESP-9 and Koss E9 energizer (quantity of two sets)
Realistic HP-100 earspeaker and energizer (Stax OEM)
Hifiman HE400i
Sennheiser HD650

Source/Amps/Misc:
Chord Mojo
Chord Chordette Gem
Fiio E18

@Thunder240
Headphones:
Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts
Shure SRH-1840
Senn HD6XX
Senn Momentum

Source/Amps/Misc:
FiiO X17
Centrance Dacport HD
NuForce Icon HDP
Lake People G103 Amp

@arjubx

@Hobroblin
Headphones:
Meze Audio 99 Classics
Sennheiser HD 6XX

Source/Amps/Misc:
Bottlehead Crack
Staving Student Millet Hybrid
Schiit Fulla 2
Fiio X5 3rd Gen

@koven/@jmpsmash
Headphones:
ZMF Auteur w/Danacable/LCD-2 closed back

Source/Amps/Misc:
Tablet
TBD/Hugo2, WA8 Eclipse

@Audiofiend1

@chuckwheat
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD800S
Sennheiser HD650

Source/Amps/Misc:

Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball
Schiit Modi Multibit
Schiit Modi 2 Uber
Schiit Magni 2 Uber

@SomeTechNoob
Headphones/IEMs:
Sennheiser HD 6XX
AKG K553 Pro
Monoprice Monolith M1060C
Chi-Fi KZ ZS5 v1 & v2
Chi-Fi KZ ZST

Source/Amps/Misc:
Schiit Fulla 2
Schiit Magni 2

@elira
Headphones:
Grado PS500 w/Black Dragon cable
Ultrasone Edition 8
Cleer Next

Source/Amps/Misc:
Audio-gd R2R-1 DAC
PS Audio GCHA Headphone Amp

@jazzfan
Headphones:
STAX SR-009
Sennheiser HD800
AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbon

Source/Amps/Misc:
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (FLAC and Tidal)
iFi Audio micro iDSD
Benchmark Media DAC1 PRE
STAX SRM-727II

@Henrysharoop
Headphones:
ZMF Atticus

Source/Amps/Misc:
Laptop
Audio-GD NFB.29.38 Amp/Dac

@Rainstar
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD800S
Audeze LCD3 Fazor
Fostex TH-X00 Modded to TH900 Drivers with Custom Silver Cables

Source/Amps/Misc:
Laptop
Mutec MC3+ USB
Schiit Audio Black Yggdrasil Gen1 A version DAC (not yet upgraded)
Cary Audio Sli 80 Ultimate edition Amp

@morinu
Headphones:
ZMF X Vibro MKII Rusted Zebra
Focal Elear
Sennheiser HD 600
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee

Source/Amps/Misc:
Emotiva DC-1 DAC (balanced)
Chord Mojo DAC
Cavalli Liquid Carbon (1st Gen)
iBasso DX90 DAP
Pono DAP

Equipment On Vendor Loan

Periodic Audio
@DanWiggins
Headphones:
Magnesium
Titanium
Beryllium

Source/Amps/Misc
:
Nickel Amp

Massdrop (New)
Source/Amps/Misc:
Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier
Massdrop Balanced SDAC (prototype)

Waiting List (As openings become available, you'll be notified via PM. Note: Due to limited availability, please reply to your notification within 72 hours or forfeit your position)
@Alcophone
@Henrysharoop
@CEE TEE
@hselburn
@morinu
@Rainstar
@jmpsmash

@jwoohoowoo
@montrey
@gordec (New)

Contact Information

If you have further questions, or would like to make any changes, please direct all questions to myself @jazzfan (or in my absence @calbear), or you can PM me directly, as well.

Here's to another great community supported Head-Fi event!

Things To Do

Since you're going to be in the area, I thought I'd mention a favorite South Bay destination of mine. In my opinion, if you'd like to experience the best hand-made glazed donuts in the Bay Area, head directly across the street from the library to Stan's Donut Shop. If you are fortunate enough to try them in the morning when they're freshly made, you are in for a real treat. Just be prepared to get there early before they sell out!

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Stan's in any way. I'm just a loyal fan of their delicious fried dough. Yum.

Survey Question

If you had to name only one track, what would be your go-to "demo music" track, and why?

Survey Results (New)

SF South Bay Meet Periodic Audio Giveaway

Prizes

Three Periodic Audio IEMs, one of each model (open box), will be given away at the meet. The three models (see below) Magnesium (Mg), Titanium(Ti) and Beryllium(Be) retail for $99, $199 and $299 respectively, and are named for the metal used in the formulation of each models diaphragm material.

10185142_thumb.png

10185143_thumb.png

10185144_thumb.png

Official Giveaway Rules
  1. Eligibility: You mush be one of the 12 registered attendees of this event. All attendees actively listed in the "Who" section of this meet announcement post are eligible.
  2. How to Enter: Submit a post to this thread, or contact @jazzfan via PM to express your desire to attend. All attendees will be selected on a first come first served basis.
  3. Winner selection: Winners will be selected by a random drawing at the event. You must be present to win.
  4. Winners List: The Head-Fi member name of the winners will be posted in the post-meet impressions thread.
  5. Sponsor: The sponsor of this giveaway is Periodic Audio.

IMPRESSIONS THREAD for this meet.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 97
I'd like to be on the waiting list. There's a concert I'm going to that night, so I can bring only some smaller items (no Yggy).
You're first on the list! Thanks for letting me know.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 97
Just a heads up, I'll be a bit late to the 1:00 time as my uni class ends at 12:45, after which I'll grab a quick lunch and then head over.

Also my M1060C should be listed under headphones.

Thanks for setting everything up!

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 97
Just a heads up, I'll be a bit late to the 1:00 time as my uni class ends at 12:45, after which I'll grab a quick lunch and then head over.

Also my M1060C should be listed under headphones.

Thanks for setting everything up!

Thanks for the heads up and for the correction. The list has been updated.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 97
Thanks @jazzfan for setting this up. I can bring:

Headphones:
Meze Audio 99 Classics
Sennheiser HD 6XX

Source/Amps/Misc:
Bottlehead Crack
Staving Student Millet Hybrid
Schiit Fulla 2
Fiio X5 3rd Gen

Thanks for bringing your equipment and I'm glad you could make it.

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 97
I think I’ll look at bringing the following:

Amps: FiiO Q5, Fostex HP-A4BL, and the Little Bear B4 with Burson V5i Dual Op-Amp upgrade

Headphones: Flexible among my collection (I’ll try not to repeat others so I’ll wait and see). I think 3 tops to keep transporting it all manageable. Open to requests against my list in signature as well.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 97
I think I’ll look at bringing the following:

Amps: FiiO Q5, Fostex HP-A4BL, and the Little Bear B4 with Burson V5i Dual Op-Amp upgrade

Headphones: Flexible among my collection (I’ll try not to repeat others so I’ll wait and see). I think 3 tops to keep transporting it all manageable. Open to requests against my list in signature as well.

I've added your amp selection. I'll update your headphone list once you've finalized your decision. Thanks!

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 97
Thanks for putting this together, jazzfan. I'll be bringing a gustard a20h for dac/amp, but undecided yet on which headphones I'll be bringing. Will update when I decide.

You're welcome and thanks for the update. As the meet draws closer, let me know whatever you decide to bring. I look forward to meeting you at the meet.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 97
To All,

It's almost the middle of September, and our meet is still a month and a half away. Since we have some time, I thought it might be fun if I conducted a survey to get a sense of the musical listening tastes of the members attending our meet. As my Head-Fi name implies, I'm a fan of Jazz. I'll listen to all forms of Jazz, but mostly enjoy Jazz from the 50s and 60s in general, and live acoustic Jazz trios in particular. Jazz is my preferred music of choice, but I also appreciate discovering and listening to music from a multitude of other genres. With that in mind, I'd like to expand my library of demo music evaluation tracks by asking everyone attending our upcoming meet the following question:

If you had to name only one track, what would be your go-to "demo music" track, and why?

Post your answers here, or if you prefer, send me a PM with your response. I'll collect all responses and post the names of each track on our meet impressions thread. It will be interesting to listen to and discuss these tracks at the meet. If there is enough interest, I'll create a poll so we can all vote for your favorite among the list. But for now, I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on your go-to demo music track.

Thanks for participating in the survey!

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 97
I would say that my go-to track would be Diana Krall, Devil May Care, Live in Paris. You can hear all the nuances of her voice and breaths, the separation and soundstage of the instruments and with the right equipment, the feeling that you are right there in the performance. Plus the song isn't half bad :ksc75smile:

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 97
Hey folks I'm still abroad -AND- currently relocated from California, so I won't be able to make this one. Jazzfan, nice spruce up to my introduction template. Feel free to mention my name after the "@" sumbol to share post-meet impressions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back