Shanling H5 - Portable DAC/AMP/Player, AKM AK4493S DACs and sweet warm tuning
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #286 of 309
Also curious about the volume on the device. If I turn on the device without headphones plugged in, it’ll show whatever volume. But when I plug the headphones in, it’ll change to a different volume. Any explanation for this? Is it sensing the headphone connection and changing the volume automatically?
In case no headphones are connected, it outputs via RCA on the back. Thus RCA volume control.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #288 of 309
Nice write up!
For me my biggest complaints are:
1) incompatibility with Apple TV bluetooth
2) edict player doesn’t recognize iso files

Also curious about the volume on the device. If I turn on the device without headphones plugged in, it’ll show whatever volume. But when I plug the headphones in, it’ll change to a different volume. Any explanation for this? Is it sensing the headphone connection and changing the volume automatically?
Wow! Apple TV BT connectivity would be awesome. You could have filled sized cans for your TV that doesn’t bother anyone. That would be a cool feature.

Regarding the different volumes with the headphone unplugged vs plugged. While I haven’t tried it or tested it, it seems like it would be a safety feature, so you don’t blast your ears. I did that once with a chord mojo and ripped the usb cable out of the device to stop it.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #289 of 309
I was thinking about writing about the RCAs in the back, but I want to try using the H5 as an external DAC and Source with a phone remote for my Xudoo TA-22. Thanks @Leairve for the reminder to try that.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #290 of 309
Wow! Apple TV BT connectivity would be awesome. You could have filled sized cans for your TV that doesn’t bother anyone. That would be a cool feature.

Regarding the different volumes with the headphone unplugged vs plugged. While I haven’t tried it or tested it, it seems like it would be a safety feature, so you don’t blast your ears. I did that once with a chord mojo and ripped the usb cable out of the device to stop it.

Actually I found the experience to be the opposite. If I adjust the volume to a safe level, then plug my headphones in, I was unaware of the change, so it was at a super high level.

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #291 of 309
Supposedly it will be fixed in the next update but until then every time you connect Apple device via Bluetooth it will be SBC. You have to go to the Bluetoooth menu disconnect & then reconnect and AAC will appear on H5 display. Apple AAC sound quality is actually really good and I never experienced any connectivity issues in AAC.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #292 of 309
With no headphones plugged in it you can set the volume to whatever you want, but it will revert to your last plugged in setting once you plug headphones in. Not really a feature it’s just the way it is. I developed the habit of always lowering the volume before unplugging my headphone or always checking volume after I plugged in.

In case no headphones are connected, it outputs via RCA on the back. Thus RCA volume control.

👍🏻 RCA volume… duh… never used it lol

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #296 of 309
Hello all, how does the H5 do driving something like a Senn 660s on the balanced outputs? Would it have enough juice do you reckon?? Thanks in advance
I have the HD58X, also 150 ohms like your HD660S. Using a 4.4mm cable and the H5 on medium gain is more than enough.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #297 of 309
Yeah, no problem. Both HD650 and Arya Stealth were driven really well. For HD660s all you need balanced is medium gain I'd guess. :)

I have the HD58X, also 150 ohms like your HD660S. Using a 4.4mm cable and the H5 on medium gain is more than enough.
Cheers guys much appreciated. Went for the H7 in the end, got it arriving tomorrow I believe. Very exciting times!

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #298 of 309
Hello all, how does the H5 do driving something like a Senn 660s on the balanced outputs? Would it have enough juice do you reckon?? Thanks in advance
I have a HD650 and a HD6XX, the H5 runs them perfectly well and sounds really good from this little portable amp.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #299 of 309
I would add that i don't like the sound from my LCD2Cs going through the H5 tho, but this are notoriously wonky planar HP, so I'm not blaming the H5 for sure.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #300 of 309
Cheers guys much appreciated. Went for the H7 in the end, got it arriving tomorrow I believe. Very exciting times!
Moah powah!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back