Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #5,672 of 6,418
The above results are all driving 150 mV into a 32-Ohm resistive load
Is the load 32 ohm inductive?
It would be very convenient to see a text table with the results, instead of beautifully designed diagrams.

In fact, everything is somewhat more complicated.
Here is an example comparison of ibasso dx150 and lg g7 with es9218.
lg g7 - on the edge, even for many sensitive iem.
lg_g7.png

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pr...215=215&mh75=75&mh221=221&mh241=241&ma204=204

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #5,673 of 6,418
Is the load 32 ohm inductive?
It would be very convenient to see a text table with the results, instead of beautifully designed diagrams.

In fact, everything is somewhat more complicated.
Here is an example comparison of ibasso dx150 and lg g7 with es9218.
lg g7 - on the edge, even for many sensitive iem.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pr...215=215&mh75=75&mh221=221&mh241=241&ma204=204
We have only considered a 32 Ohm resistive load - for all devices. It takes hours to do just one measurement, so filling out a large matrix of data isn't appealing. Not without a lucrative corporate sponsorship :wink:

Interesting question about the quoted M0 specs. @Shanling/Frankie - is there a difference between models sold in the EU and elsewhere? Why is the M0 quoted as only 80 mV into 32 Ohm? Using a -1 dBFS test tone, I can get 800 mV into 32 Ohm from my M0 unit (running Vortex 2.3 firmware). Was there a typo in your specs and you're actually missing a zero?

P.S. The LG G7 is capable of much more power than is shown in that graph. It can be forced into aux or high-impedance mode (even for 32 Ohm headphones).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #5,674 of 6,418
32 Ohm resistive load
Is this load inductive (reactive) or just active resistance?

P.S. The LG G7 is capable of much more power than is shown in that graph. It can be forced into aux or high-impedance mode (even for 32 Ohm headphones).
This characterizes the operating mode at a load of 32 ohms while maintaining the level of distortion corresponding to the operation of the amplifier in class A mode.
More power is possible, but then it will be class B.
Judging by the diagram of maximum power while maintaining quality from es9218, the LG G7 can be achieved with a load of about 70 ohms.

Everything is more complicated.
The stronger the gain and the smaller the ohm load, the more distortion.
Class A will fail.
lg_g7_hg.png

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #5,675 of 6,418
Is this load inductive (reactive) or just active resistance?

32 Ohm resistive load = a 32 Ohm resistor. No inductive load. The setup is shown in the diagram at the top right of each slide.

This characterizes the operating mode at a load of 32 ohms while maintaining the level of distortion corresponding to the operation of the amplifier in class A mode.
More power is possible, but then it will be class B.
Judging by the diagram of maximum power while maintaining quality from es9218, the LG G7 can be achieved with a load of about 70 ohms.

Everything is more complicated.
The stronger the gain and the smaller the ohm load, the more distortion.
Class A will fail.

At some point everything will fail. Beyond a threshold, THD & IMD will both increase with output power. Balanced-armature headphones with large z(f) variations will add another level of complexity. But one has to be pragmatic. It's not possible to measure every permutation that exists in the known universe.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #5,676 of 6,418
@Shanling
Is there any chance that you will add some audiobook/podcast support?
Is it really so complicated to add a bookmark feature? And i know i'm not the only one who needs it.

Not sure. I always put it on my list of demands, was consulting with software team what features would there be needed, but still awaiting any result.

Interesting question about the quoted M0 specs. @Shanling/Frankie - is there a difference between models sold in the EU and elsewhere? Why is the M0 quoted as only 80 mV into 32 Ohm? Using a -1 dBFS test tone, I can get 800 mV into 32 Ohm from my M0 unit (running Vortex 2.3 firmware). Was there a typo in your specs and you're actually missing a zero?

Specification states 80mW, and it should be definitely correct. And multiple other devices using ES9218p, both our and from other manufacturers, are at 80 mW.

Of course, if you want to talk about volts instead of watts, then it would be different numbers.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 28, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #5,677 of 6,418
Specification states 80mW, and it should be definitely correct. And multiple other devices using ES9218p, both our and from other manufacturers, are at 80 mW.

Of course, if you want to talk about volts instead of watts, then it would be different numbers.
Whoops. My bad. Yep, I was talking about volts. Thanks for the clarification!

Ok, with a 32 Ohm load, 80 mW ought, in theory, to be able to supply a potential of approximately 1.6 V max. So 150 mV should be nowhere near maximum output. As to the effect of increasing output power on distortions, that would be useful information to see in the device specs, but that's a large matrix of test data to generate.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #5,678 of 6,418
@Shanling i'm just curious about low & high gain in terms of amp, what is changing exacly? Is there whole 2V in high gain? I'm asking because i hear better bass on 30 ohm iems on high gain and 2) there is less/ no interference when it's on gigh gain and connected to my amp (mini jack -> chinch)

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #5,679 of 6,418
@Shanling i'm just curious about low & high gain in terms of amp, what is changing exacly? Is there whole 2V in high gain? I'm asking because i hear better bass on 30 ohm iems on high gain and 2) there is less/ no interference when it's on gigh gain and connected to my amp (mini jack -> chinch)

Gain setting on M0 is affecting scale of digital volume controller.
Honestly, most people I talked about this in depth think High gain on M0 sounds better. I agree with it too.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #5,680 of 6,418
Make sure to turn off bluetooth if you're not using - i had mine paired to my phone to receive (using the M0 as a bluetooth headphone amp) and it kept reconnecting to my phone and killed battery in no time.
I turn it on and off when i need now (bluetooth) and i have normal usage

The same thing happens to me but that, I found out was caused by the device turning itself on when it gets pugged in to charge. That 'auto-power on for charging' is a really annoying 'feature' that I don't see the point of. I have to manually turn it off every time plug it in to charge. If @Shanling could explain the merits of this 'feature' would be grately appreciated. Better still, on a personal level, I'd rather it didn't have it at all for the next update.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #5,681 of 6,418
The same thing happens to me but that, I found out was caused by the device turning itself on when it gets pugged in to charge. That 'auto-power on for charging' is a really annoying 'feature' that I don't see the point of. I have to manually turn it off every time plug it in to charge. If @Shanling could explain the merits of this 'feature' would be grately appreciated. Better still, on a personal level, I'd rather it didn't have it at all for the next update.

It's pretty common behaviour, my phone does the same thing (it's Apple, but I'm pretty sure my Android one did as well).

I just powered up my M0 after a week or so when I haven't used it and the battery is showing more or less full. I don't think it's lost much charge since I last used it. If anyone is experiencing anything different, it sounds like a fault to me.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #5,682 of 6,418
I bought this player to listen to audio books. But I face two problems:
  • If I stop a track and start to listen again sometime later - after the player had been powered down - it always starts from the beginning of the track. Is there a setting to resume?
  • some guy answered my question on amazon whether cable android headphones would work to control the player with "it is in the specifications" but my xiaomi android headset won't work. should it work, or did I get a wrong information?
Thanks for your help.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #5,683 of 6,418
Yeah. It's disturbing for me too but I always turn it off manually immediately after putting it on charge (it's more than once a day, even when I let it off, my battery will soon die I guess). I really don't know what to do. I reset the settings to factory, settings removed the "sleep after inactivity" (not better) default setting, tried instead to use the auto power off (or not), not better... I'm lost. Running the 3.1 stock firmware.

It's one of the early M0s. May be the hardware has been improved at some point... and I just have an early lousy version ?

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #5,685 of 6,418
Some guy answered my question on amazon whether cable android headphones would work to control the player with "it is in the specifications" but my xiaomi android headset won't work. should it work, or did I get a wrong information?

Cable line-in controls from headphones don't work. I think @Shanling mentioned in this forum that there was no space to add the hardware inside so this option was left out.
They never claimed that cable controls do work. I'm not sure what that guy was talking about, unless it's the fact that the omission from specs means it doesn't have the option.
Bluetooth controls on any headphones do work correctly.

As an alternative, you can set the wheel button to play/pause on 2-clicks, skip song on 3-clicks. It does the job just fine.

Go to System > wheel shortcuts: and set Double click and Triple click to your desired behaviour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back