Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,216 of 2,460
Might be just me, but I had over 4 FiiO DAPs and none had any problems with their wheels - excellent service and control on every single one of them as far as my experience goes - this is why I'm fairly optimistic that the wheel on M2s will be just as good, if not better.

I think that having the wheel on the side will be an interesting transition for me, since I have been used with the wheel on the center, but no one complained about the wheel in any way so far - so I will stay really optimistic that it will all be great!

Totally! It would be fun to know how someone who uses it for every day will feel like about it!

I have the M5, it was shipped to me June 2016. My wheel works fine but the button in the middle is tempermental. It works fine, and then every once and a while, something inside there shifts and it becomes very hard to push, and pushing it hard usually ends up activating one of the functions that are accessed when you push the extremeties of the wheel. Something is moving around in there.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,217 of 2,460
Found out yesterday just how long the M2S will run on a full battery charge - ~9.5 hours.

A little after 10:00, I connected my Vido earbuds, dropped my M2S in a shirt pocket, and listened to Jazz at low to moderate volume levels - until the DAP shut down from low battery at ~19:25.
I was using HiBy Link to my Nexus 5 phone, so the M2S's Bluetooth was on, but the screen was off, throughout the day.

That's pretty good battery life for using the Hiby link, might even be better battery life using it instead of the M2s's screen. The Bluetooth probably uses less juice than intermittent screen usage. I love the link feature!

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,218 of 2,460
I have the M5, it was shipped to me June 2016. My wheel works fine but the button in the middle is tempermental. It works fine, and then every once and a while, something inside there shifts and it becomes very hard to push, and pushing it hard usually ends up activating one of the functions that are accessed when you push the extremeties of the wheel. Something is moving around in there.

Hmm, have had the M3 for about the same amount of time and use the wheel a lot during gym workouts and haven't had any issues. The wheel is a good piece of hardware on the M5 and M3, surprised to see you have a problem. I wouldn't be happy with that after 13 months of use.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,219 of 2,460
That's pretty good battery life for using the Hiby link, might even be better battery life using it instead of the M2s's screen. The Bluetooth probably uses less juice than intermittent screen usage. I love the link feature!

Interestingly enough, the smaller (and lower powered) Shanling M1, also running HiBy Link, still had one bar showing on its battery meter, after running for ~9.9 hours yesterday, while listening to Renaissance Festival music with **** PT15 earbuds (including 1 hour in a noisy restaurant at Lunch, when I switched to LZ A4 earphones).

EDIT: Was originally going to take the NiceHCK W1, but actually took the LZ A4 instead. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #1,220 of 2,460
I was at CanJam London yesterday and i am going today again. Been talking to the friendly Shanling team that answered anyone's questions and being a big help.
Their support is fantastic, and i am looking forward to they flagship release in the future.
I got an official support cable to connect my M2s to Hugo 2 and the quality is great.
20170715_153930.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,222 of 2,460
So, it's this little beauty or the Cayin N3 for me and I can't decide which one! With the HiBy link app all my podcast needs are met with both players, but I don't know if either have a suspend/resume feature so music and podcasts will start from where I leave them. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I think I'm leaning towards the Shanling for the 2 way Bluetooth feature. Has anybody used both and written a comparison? Cheers for any help you can give!

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,223 of 2,460
So, it's this little beauty or the Cayin N3 for me and I can't decide which one! With the HiBy link app all my podcast needs are met with both players, but I don't know if either have a suspend/resume feature so music and podcasts will start from where I leave them. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I think I'm leaning towards the Shanling for the 2 way Bluetooth feature. Has anybody used both and written a comparison? Cheers for any help you can give!

don't have any info on podcast thing unfortunately.

imo m2s has better build quality and ui. physical buttons feels more sturdy on m2s and they're more customer friendly.

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #1,226 of 2,460
I don't know if either have a suspend/resume feature so music and podcasts will start from where I leave them. Can anyone shed any light on this?
It could be set to resume playback from where it's been stopped, even after it's been turned off.
But it applies only to the track currently playing and it will not memorise location within track after you switch to another track.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,228 of 2,460
Wandered around the show until 5pm on Saturday(having been to the Shanling stand first thing)and promised to get an m1 to complement my m2s before I left(wonderful guys by the way and very enthusiastic). Ended up having to leave in a hurry and completely forgot to buy the m1 :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,229 of 2,460
Hi guys!!! I've discovered right now this DAP! The build quality seems great, but in terms of DACs, Preamp and overall power/sound quality, which is the best choice, in your opinion, between the M2S, the Cayin N3 and the Sony A-35?

Hope you can help me!

thank you,
ferdi

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,230 of 2,460
That decides it for me then, M2s it is. Now to find the best price in the UK...

We are the only official seller of the M2s in the UK (We sell direct, through Amazon and also eBay), so buying from anywhere else will mean if you ever have warranty issues you will need to deal with the place of purchase.

Wandered around the show until 5pm on Saturday(having been to the Shanling stand first thing)and promised to get an m1 to complement my m2s before I left(wonderful guys by the way and very enthusiastic). Ended up having to leave in a hurry and completely forgot to buy the m1 :frowning2:

We have the M1 in stock ready for dispatch :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back