Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,711 of 2,460
Just finished and posted my Shanling M2s review, soon to be published on Head-fi

shanling_m2s-12.jpg

Btw, if some of you missed, MusicTeck is giving away one M2s and one M1, here.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,712 of 2,460
Beat me to the Punch! Big thank to @MusicTeck for the opportunity to hear this lovely little DAP. It's my first Shanling and so far I'm really enjoying it.

H0w98Ch.png

Firing up the ole Bar Graphs again! Sadly I no longer have the N3 for a detailed sound comparison, I did how ever have some data from my N3 vs HM601 comparison, which I've included in the above data! My impressions were done entirely with my SuperLux HD 668B, I'm not an IEM guy sadly and my closed back portable reference is being repaired atm

Overall, I'm very impressed

Bass Quality
The M2s isn't lacking I appreciated it's leaner lows, the impact was wonderful, drums had power and guitars and cello's had good clean body. And while It was able to resolve changes in vibrato present during decay and quicker transients, having more contrast between the attack and decay often it would omit some of the more nuanced transients that the 601 resolves but also emphasis others that the 601 sometimes hides

Mid-Range Purity
The M2s was never too thick or too slow, really it provided a consistently natural warmth. Free some both excessive decay and over emphasized attack, there were only very few times I had any excessive ringing, so unlike the Hm 601, the M2S won't aggressively smooth over any mid-range faults your headphones may have, rather it brings a mildly forgiving but still very clear presentation

Highs
The M2S has a little more energy up top compared to the 601, while this helps bring emphasis to macro details and ambient noise, with brighter headphones it can dull percussion a little. Though with darker cans adds a welcome sense of liveliness!

Imaging
More differences here than technicalities, the M2S was more spacious or 3D in comparison to the very intimate 601. Though the sense of space does contribute to a livelier slightly jumpy more exciting presentation overall

Resolve
The M2S's leaner faster presentation often simplified transients a little, how ever it also added a nice sense of tactility and impact in exchange for less resolve overall. The leading edge of horns, guitar strings and the like really pop out at you!

Speed
There was a better sense of time and pace with the M2s, the hm601 can be too slow and romantic at times. Though interestingly, while the M2S had better macro dynamics, the 601 did better with micro dynamics.

UI/Battery Life
I like rock box, the battery lasts me like a month vs 3 days with the M2S. Additionally, Rock Box has a para metric EQ that I enjoy, other wise ignoring Rock Box the native UI of the M2S is excellent, it doesn't stutter, the menu navigation is quick and effortless, play back and system setting menu's are super easy to navigate AND I can use it entirely with ONE hand!!! Something I wish I could say more often

Headphone Out
I was really impressed with how clean the onBoard amp of the M2s was. Though I hear it's output impedance is a bit to high for some of the more sensitive IEMS... which I don't own any of... either way the lack of digital filters I feel resulted in a more consistent output across devices. With the N3 I always had to swap between filters to see which worked best. Where as the M2S just sounds good with each headphone I have, there are differences between each but the DAP doesn't add to any of their faults, I suppose it doesn't compensate for them as strongly as the N3 Can/Could, but ultimately I enjoyed a constantly excellent sound from the simpler output options from the M2S. The HM601 in comparison sounds better SOME times and is nosier all of the time

Line Out
The M2S's down side is the line out... when fed into my Vali 1 while imaging and resolve improved, tonality and impact did not. Feeding the M2S into other entry level amps is just a game of compromises. Though feeding it into my Ember II or my Pico Power netted some actual across the board improvements over the onBoard amp. On the other hand, the N3's digital filters allowed for a quicker super detailed super lean output to be fed into a warmer entry level amp. Which ultimately netted improvements for the system as a whole, where as the M2S warmer more balanced output doesn't appreciate as much of the color that some entry level amps impart.

Function
I like the N3 for how well it plays with EVERYTHING you own, and on the flip side I like the M2s for how well it works by it self. The M2S is simpler, I feel it's headphone amp really it's best function. Especially for an efficient headphone user, it'll work with a variety of digital sources, and has Blu Tooth! While it will scale, it doesn't do so until you climb up the latter a little more. Ultimately the N3 kinda invites the upgradeitis as it'll start to scale even with some entry level amps, where as the M2S amazing on-board performance lends it self to more enjoyment and can discourage some entry level amp experimentation.

Overall I love the M2S for it's relatively clear and natural tone, that and the one handed operation make it a winner. I'll have a proper review to add here shortly as well!

Btw, if some of you missed, MusicTeck is giving away one M2s and one M1, here.

I did miss that thank you!!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,713 of 2,460
I'm not sure if I'm the only one getting this issue but it seems like the higher quality flac tends to play really loud. Most of my collection is in 16bits but I have a few albums in 24bit and they are really loud.

I have replay gain tags on all my tracks and it plays just fine on my other daps.

Wonder if there is any fix for this?

Attachments

• IMG_9723.JPG
    IMG_9723.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #1,715 of 2,460
You mean the replay gain function on the M2s doesn't work for you?

Yea replaygain is enabled but the volume on the high bit rate files goes way louder. I on high gain and most of my comfortable listening is at 70-80. When I listen to the 24bit albums I have to lower the volume to 50-60.

No idea why this is happening. The replaygain function works on the other tracks though.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #1,716 of 2,460
Wanted to test it out as a PC dac, but I got an error tonight trying to install the driver... can't say I'm a big fan of having to trouble shoot drivers... ever

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,717 of 2,460
Guys, what does the 'S' symbol mean when I'm using the DAP with my Bluetooth speaker?

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #1,718 of 2,460
Guys, what does the 'S' symbol mean when I'm using the DAP with my Bluetooth speaker?

it's operating with the SBC codec. If you see an "A" it is operating with APTX codec. APTX needs to be on your receiving device if you want your M2s to operate in APTX mode.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,719 of 2,460
Beat me to the Punch! Big thank to @MusicTeck for the opportunity to hear this lovely little DAP. It's my first Shanling and so far I'm really enjoying it.

I50n3dm.png

Firing up the ole Bar Graphs again! Sadly I no longer have the N3 for a detailed sound comparison, I did how ever have some data from my N3 vs HM601 comparison, which I've included in the above data! My impressions were done entirely with my SuperLux HD 668B, I'm not an IEM guy sadly and my closed back portable reference is being repaired atm

Overall, I'm very impressed

Bass Quality
The M2s isn't lacking I appreciated it's leaner lows, the impact was wonderful, drums had power and guitars and cello's had good clean body. And while It was able to resolve changes in vibrato present during decay and quicker transients, having more contrast between the attack and decay often it would omit some of the more nuanced transients that the 601 resolves but also emphasis others that the 601 sometimes hides

Mid-Range Purity
The M2s was never too thick or too slow, really it provided a consistently natural warmth. Free some both excessive decay and over emphasized attack, there were only very few times I had any excessive ringing, so unlike the Hm 601, the M2S won't aggressively smooth over any mid-range faults your headphones may have, rather it brings a mildly forgiving but still very clear presentation

Highs
The M2S has a little more energy up top compared to the 601, while this helps bring emphasis to macro details and ambient noise, with brighter headphones it can dull percussion a little. Though with darker cans adds a welcome sense of liveliness!

Imaging
More differences here than technicalities, the M2S was more spacious or 3D in comparison to the very intimate 601. Though the sense of space does contribute to a livelier slightly jumpy more exciting presentation overall

Resolve
The M2S's leaner faster presentation often simplified transients a little, how ever it also added a nice sense of tactility and impact in exchange for less resolve overall. The leading edge of horns, guitar strings and the like really pop out at you!

Speed
There was a better sense of time and pace with the M2s, the hm601 can be too slow and romantic at times. Though interestingly, while the M2S had better macro dynamics, the 601 did better with micro dynamics.

UI/Battery Life
I like rock box, the battery lasts me like a month vs 3 days with the M2S. Additionally, Rock Box has a para metric EQ that I enjoy, other wise ignoring Rock Box the native UI of the M2S is excellent, it doesn't stutter, the menu navigation is quick and effortless, play back and system setting menu's are super easy to navigate AND I can use it entirely with ONE hand!!! Something I wish I could say more often

Headphone Out
I was really impressed with how clean the onBoard amp of the M2s was. Though I hear it's output impedance is a bit to high for some of the more sensitive IEMS... which I don't own any of... either way the lack of digital filters I feel resulted in a more consistent output across devices. With the N3 I always had to swap between filters to see which worked best. Where as the M2S just sounds good with each headphone I have, there are differences between each but the DAP doesn't add to any of their faults, I suppose it doesn't compensate for them as strongly as the N3 Can/Could, but ultimately I enjoyed a constantly excellent sound from the simpler output options from the M2S. The HM601 in comparison sounds better SOME times and is nosier all of the time

Line Out
The M2S's down side is the line out... when fed into my Vali 1 while imaging and resolve improved, tonality and impact did not. Feeding the M2S into other entry level amps is just a game of compromises. Though feeding it into my Ember II or my Pico Power netted some actual across the board improvements over the onBoard amp. On the other hand, the N3's digital filters allowed for a quicker super detailed super lean output to be fed into a warmer entry level amp. Which ultimately netted improvements for the system as a whole, where as the M2S warmer more balanced output doesn't appreciate as much of the color that some entry level amps impart.

Function
I like the N3 for how well it plays with EVERYTHING you own, and on the flip side I like the M2s for how well it works by it self. The M2S is simpler, I feel it's headphone amp really it's best function. Especially for an efficient headphone user, it'll work with a variety of digital sources, and has Blu Tooth! While it will scale, it doesn't do so until you climb up the latter a little more. Ultimately the N3 kinda invites the upgradeitis as it'll start to scale even with some entry level amps, where as the M2S amazing on-board performance lends it self to more enjoyment and can discourage some entry level amp experimentation.

Overall I love the M2S for it's relatively clear and natural tone, that and the one handed operation make it a winner. I'll have a proper review to add here shortly as well!

I did miss that thank you!!
how does UI different from Function?

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,722 of 2,460
how does UI different from Function?

The User Interface is the software that operates and make use of the functions of the hardware. The User Interface on Rock Box is brilliant, but functionally with the HM 601's hardware it's a bit limited

Where as the Shanling M2s UI isn't as powerful as Rock Box, but the hardware/software combination offers MUCH more functionality

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,723 of 2,460
The User Interface is the software that operates and make use of the functions of the hardware. The User Interface on Rock Box is brilliant, but functionally with the HM 601's hardware it's a bit limited

Where as the Shanling M2s UI isn't as powerful as Rock Box, but the hardware/software combination offers MUCH more functionality
in other words, if after all I end up with M2S, then I should stick with M2S's UI right?
I've been using Rockbox with my current DAP Sansa Clip zip, and I'm not really happy with it. I don't know how to quickly add songs to playlist, how to create/edit playlists....

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,724 of 2,460
in other words, if after all I end up with M2S, then I should stick with M2S's UI right?
I've been using Rockbox with my current DAP Sansa Clip zip, and I'm not really happy with it. I don't know how to quickly add songs to playlist, how to create/edit playlists....

You won't have any choice. There is no Rockbox port for the M2S. Anyway the Shanling UI is excellent. The only thing you're losing relative to Rockbox is the parametric EQ, but Shanling equalizer is good.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,725 of 2,460

I'm with @dlayman the stock Shanling UI is excellent, it's a lot more user friendly honestly. No need to upgrade or change it

Made some adjustments to my charts, included a Build/User Interface metric and combined the Battery life an Graphic User Interface sections

hopefully it makes more sense!

H0w98Ch.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back