Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #212 of 2,447
This is a pretty big concern. 7 is so out of date.

I'd like to see an android player delivered with all the audio tech goodies, plus a state-of-the-art soc cpu. I want the latest and greatest, future-proof gadget.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #213 of 2,447
I'd like to see an android player delivered with all the audio tech goodies, plus a state-of-the-art soc cpu. I want the latest and greatest, future-proof gadget.
I don't think any manufacturer is going to use the latest mobile CPU - they simply don't have the purchasing power to be able to do that. I guess Sony could be an exception but even with them, the potential market for DAPs would make it an uneconomical proposition. For me, the limited lifespan of non-replaceable lithium batteries is a bigger concern as far as future proofing is concerned. Having said all that, Android 7 is taking it a bit too far in my opinion. As far as I'm aware, Google stopped supporting it a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #214 of 2,447
I don't think any manufacturer is going to use the latest mobile CPU - they simply don't have the purchasing power to be able to do that. I guess Sony could be an exception but even with them, the potential market for DAPs would make it an uneconomical proposition. For me, the limited lifespan of non-replaceable lithium batteries is a bigger concern as far as future proofing is concerned. Having said all that, Android 7 is taking it a bit too far in my opinion. As far as I'm aware, Google stopped supporting it a couple of months ago.

This whole android version thing is yet another reason I will stick with non-android DAP's. If I need to stream for some reason I will stick with my smartphone. You need to pay a premium for the latest hardware to run newer android versions which makes android based DAP's to expensive a proposition for me. Non-replaceable batteries are another reason I won't spend more than $300 CDN on a DAP which leaves most android based DAP's out of my price range.

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #216 of 2,447
This whole android version thing is yet another reason I will stick with non-android DAP's. If I need to stream for some reason I will stick with my smartphone. You need to pay a premium for the latest hardware to run newer android versions which makes android based DAP's to expensive a proposition for me. Non-replaceable batteries are another reason I won't spend more than $300 CDN on a DAP which leaves most android based DAP's out of my price range.
Can't they resort to rom ports just to give the android update? And have them customized to make everything work? If they can promise this to potential buyers, I'd definitely get one myself. But if not, I'll just add this model to my trash list

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #217 of 2,447
Yeah, I'm not really interested in Android DAPs either. I've only started considering them because so many of the latest models are running Android. I understand why they're doing it - because so many people use streaming services nowadays - but I still load my own files onto a Micro SD card so it's not relevant to me. However, if I did stream music, I'd be worried about the possibility of the apps not running on an unsupported version of Android at some point in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #218 of 2,447
Yeah, I'm not really interested in Android DAPs either. I've only started considering them because so many of the latest models are running Android. I understand why they're doing it - because so many people use streaming services nowadays - but I still load my own files onto a Micro SD card so it's not relevant to me. However, if I did stream music, I'd be worried about the possibility of the apps not running on an unsupported version of Android at some point in the not too distant future.
Which is why I’m sticking to my Q1 for local files and my phone and computer for streaming.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #219 of 2,447
Exactly. Most people looking for info regarding the M3x will surely be pointed here by their web search and having no promise of the OS which is so outdated from the start will definitely make them shy away from this model
they Shanling don't have resources to do that. totl uncompetitive death bron device + their traditional QC&Software issues.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #220 of 2,447
Can't they resort to rom ports just to give the android update? And have them customized to make everything work? If they can promise this to potential buyers, I'd definitely get one myself. But if not, I'll just add this model to my trash list

They can update the android version through a firmware update if they choose to. My guess is Shanling will update android on their DAP's at some point. Given the much more expensive M6 Pro was released with android 7.1 I have to believe Shanling has some kind of road map to move to newer android versions at some point. Whether that is an M3X firmware update and likely updates for their other android DAP's or perhaps an M3X Pro. It would be financial suicide for Shanling if they didn't update their versions of android on their current DAP's at some point. I would be shocked if they aren't working on the process even now.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #221 of 2,447
Which is why I’m sticking to my Q1 for local files and my phone and computer for streaming.

they Shanling don't have resources to do that. totl uncompetitive death bron device + their traditional QC&Software issues.

Shanling is a larger company than you think. They have been making audio products for decades and they have a good R&D department. It wouldn't make sense to release android based DAP's and then make them obsolete soon after. Fiio is still using version 7.0 on all of their M series DAP's including their M15. Hidizs is still on android 5.1 on the AP200 for gods sake. Hiby, ibasso and Sony are using newer versions on some or all of their DAP's so if it is that important stick with their DAP's. iBasso is a tiny company compared to Shanling so if they can afford to do it then Shanling certainly can. Also keep in mind that Hiby is a software company and iBasso is using Hiby's software as I believe Cayin still is as well so whatever Hiby has iBasso and Cayin should have access to. I would expect Hiby to lead the pack on android versions given their core business. Fiio and Shanling use to use Hiby's OS and are now doing their own so it will likely take them longer to adapt.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #224 of 2,447
Shanling is a larger company than you think. They have been making audio products for decades and they have a good R&D department. It wouldn't make sense to release android based DAP's and then make them obsolete soon after. Fiio is still using version 7.0 on all of their M series DAP's including their M15. Hidizs is still on android 5.1 on the AP200 for gods sake. Hiby, ibasso and Sony are using newer versions on some or all of their DAP's so if it is that important stick with their DAP's. iBasso is a tiny company compared to Shanling so if they can afford to do it then Shanling certainly can. Also keep in mind that Hiby is a software company and iBasso is using Hiby's software as I believe Cayin still is as well so whatever Hiby has iBasso and Cayin should have access to. I would expect Hiby to lead the pack on android versions given their core business. Fiio and Shanling use to use Hiby's OS and are now doing their own so it will likely take them longer to adapt.
i have Shanling products starting from t200 up to 6pro and some other stuff in between. Im familiar how exact "big" they are.Their products ALL i have + other come across are Simply dodgy & unreliable products. Obviously their R&D need fix .I'm certain m3x will be exact same "standard". 2021 yet hard for companies to create real good DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #225 of 2,447
i have Shanling products starting from t200 up to 6pro and some other stuff in between. Im familiar how exact "big" they are.THey ALL are Simply dodgy & unreliable products. Obviously their R&D need fix .I'm certain m3x will be exact same "standard". 2021 yet hard for companies to create real good DAP.
Why do you keep buying their products if you hate them so much? Life's too short to carry this much anger towards something you don't need to engage with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back