Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Mar 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #242 of 2,447
Ahh,,, now I get it. I've read the entire thread. So I get it about wanting the latest Android release and support moving forward. I take a different view than many so I what I write here is entirely my perspective, mine alone, and I'm not trying to convince anyone of it.

For me I buy a DAP solely for music playback. The great appeal of Android based DAPS is for their ability to access the play-store and therefore get Tidal, Spotify, etc....
for me personally, I care less about that and am more interested in SQ and Battery life, its why I love my M5S - and am interested in Lotoo PAW 6000 - they're non Android players, sound stellar, have incredible battery life and boot up in seconds. Because they're non android, any time I want Tidal or Spotify for example, i just pump them over via LDAC and for the rest of my listening needs I've got a good chunk of my library on board on a 1TB or 500GB mSD. But I know im in a minority here. Ive been trying to convince @Shanling to produce an MTouch follow up to the M5s and I know it will never happen because the market is demanding Android.

Still I am very interested in this M3X because of it's size and battery life and we've heard it's an upgrade to the M5s in terms of sound, even though its a little less powerful - it should be able to push any of my IEMS. So that leaves me pondering the Android 7 with the highly likely possibility that the OS will not get an upgrade. Still I don't care - (me personally I don't care) As long as they've got the circuitry right and the thing sounds amazing that's all I care about. I don't want to compute with the thing, I want to listen to and stream music with it.

I do understand the concern over the lack of support as apps evolve but the OS does not. As long as I can get the Apps on it that I want now, and they work as intended, then it doesn't matter to me that the OS doesn't update because I will have already installed the apps that I need and want and they'll continue to function through the life of the product.

Let me give you a parallel example. My home is completely wired for sound with B&O, Bryston and Sonos systems everywhere. Within my Sonos system, I've got some Gen 1 product and some gen 2 product. To go along with the Gen 2, Sonos updated their OS and their App but because I've got some gen 1 product that is incompatable with the new OS and App, I cant update any of it - but you know what, I dont care. Everything is still working together and thrilling me the same way it did a year ago and I am perfectly happy, not feeling like I'm missing out on anything.

If I were to buy an Android phone that the Mfg refused to update and support it, that would absolutely piss me off and sever my loyallty, but like I said before, If I'm buying a DAP Im buying it for its ability to give me sensational sound with my in ear devices and as long as it does that without the sound or function degrading from the it original state in which it performed when i first acquired it, I'm totally cool with that. I'm buying a music player not a phone or a tablet.

Just my 2 cents

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #243 of 2,447
Ahh,,, now I get it. I've read the entire thread. So I get it about wanting the latest Android release and support moving forward. I take a different view than many so I what I write here is entirely my perspective, mine alone, and I'm not trying to convince anyone of it.

For me I buy a DAP solely for music playback. The great appeal of Android based DAPS is for their ability to access the play-store and therefore get Tidal, Spotify, etc....
for me personally, I care less about that and am more interested in SQ and Battery life, its why I love my M5S - and am interested in Lotoo PAW 6000 - they're non Android players, sound stellar, have incredible battery life and boot up in seconds. Because they're non android, any time I want Tidal or Spotify for example, i just pump them over via LDAC and for the rest of my listening needs I've got a good chunk of my library on board on a 1TB or 500GB mSD. But I know im in a minority here. Ive been trying to convince @Shanling to produce an MTouch follow up to the M5s and I know it will never happen because the market is demanding Android.

Still I am very interested in this M3X because of it's size and battery life and we've heard it's an upgrade to the M5s in terms of sound, even though its a little less powerful - it should be able to push any of my IEMS. So that leaves me pondering the Android 7 with the highly likely possibility that the OS will not get an upgrade. Still I don't care - (me personally I don't care) As long as they've got the circuitry right and the thing sounds amazing that's all I care about. I don't want to compute with the thing, I want to listen to and stream music with it.

I do understand the concern over the lack of support as apps evolve but the OS does not. As long as I can get the Apps on it that I want now, and they work as intended, then it doesn't matter to me that the OS doesn't update because I will have already installed the apps that I need and want and they'll continue to function through the life of the product.

Let me give you a parallel example. My home is completely wired for sound with B&O, Bryston and Sonos systems everywhere. Within my Sonos system, I've got some Gen 1 product and some gen 2 product. To go along with the Gen 2, Sonos updated their OS and their App but because I've got some gen 1 product that is incompatable with the new OS and App, I cant update any of it - but you know what, I dont care. Everything is still working together and thrilling me the same way it did a year ago and I am perfectly happy, not feeling like I'm missing out on anything.

If I were to buy an Android phone that the Mfg refused to update and support it, that would absolutely piss me off and sever my loyallty, but like I said before, If I'm buying a DAP Im buying it for its ability to give me sensational sound with my in ear devices and as long as it does that without the sound or function degrading from the it original state in which it performed when i first acquired it, I'm totally cool with that. I'm buying a music player not a phone or a tablet.

Just my 2 cents

I feel much the same way you do regarding android DAP's and I only stream (rarely, from my phone). Like you being a Canadian it is also a matter of DAP availability. Shanling does not currently have a Canadian distributor so importing is the only option. You could get the M2X, M5S and M0 in Canada for a time but not anymore. My wife imported my Q1 from shenzenaudio for Christmas. I tried dealing with Musicteck but they charge crazy high shipping rates to Canada. I am not comfortable importing expensive DAP's from China due to the hassle if I want to return a DAP or need warranty coverage. If Until or even if Shanling comes back to Canada I probably won't get any models more expensive than the Q1. Fiio and sometimes Sony (hit and miss) and Hiby now (a few models) you can get in Canada.

I bought the Fiio M7 and then upgraded to the M9 as I could get them in Canada. But they have stripped down android 7 so no app store support. Very limited hardware (slow to boot and sluggish to use). I was overall disappointed with both and will be sticking with Shanling going forward. The Sony A55 looked interesting but it is getting pretty old and you basically get everything it offers in the Q1 and you get alot more power. If Shanling keeps producing the MTouch OS DAP's I will probably stick with them going forward. Would love to see a Q2, newer amp/DAC ES9219 ideally, slightly larger higher res screen, maybe bluetooth 5.0 (not a deal breaker). The zinc alloy case looks nice but adds alot of weight so hopefully they go back to an aluminium chassis like the M0.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #245 of 2,447
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #246 of 2,447
Why do you keep buying their products if you hate them so much? Life's too short to carry this much anger towards something you don't need to engage with.
1.i can afford to do that in the name of the hobby and my own pleasure 2. Just share different realistic point from wide spread brain washing as other people read and yet spend on their pseudo products = keep them alive . After taking peoples money they MUST provide outstanding warranty / customer support where they fail.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #247 of 2,447
If you don't like Shanling products then don't buy them. But please have the decency to call them by their name Shanling. By constantly insulting their name you are showing your immaturity and lack of intelligence. I have no interest in reading posts from a whiny man-child and will be skipping all your posts in the future. Please just go away and stop posting in the Shanling threads if you don't have anything constructive to say.
i have spend enough money to Shanling "products" since 2004 and no one working properly. No improvement whatsoever. Last i spend on M6pro = currently with swelled battery ........that sponsorship forum are last place for something real constructive to say.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #248 of 2,447
I placed my order last night at about 5:30pm. Looking forward to receiving the player.

I had the FiiO M11, but I sold it as it was way too big and bulky for use as my daily commuter DAP.

I then tried the DX160 due to it's smaller and lighter size and better sound quality. I returned that due to its poor Wifi, Bluetooth and battery performance.

I'm now trying the M3X due it's much smaller size, it's much better battery life, much lower price, and hopefully it's much better Wifi and Bluetooth performance (most Shanling DAPs have solid bluetooth connection). Although it only has Android 7 and 4.2 bluetooth, I don't feel like i'm missing out on much since that's what my original M11 had. Also, this DAP has Prime mode which lets me use it as a standalone DAP which is how I was using the M11 when I had it.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #249 of 2,447
I placed my order last night at about 5:30pm. Looking forward to receiving the player.

I had the FiiO M11, but I sold it as it was way too big and bulky for use as my daily commuter DAP.

I then tried the DX160 due to it's smaller and lighter size and better sound quality. I returned that due to its poor Wifi, Bluetooth and battery performance.

I'm now trying the M3X due it's much smaller size, it's much better battery life, much lower price, and hopefully it's much better Wifi and Bluetooth performance (most Shanling DAPs have solid bluetooth connection). Although it only has Android 7 and 4.2 bluetooth, I don't feel like i'm missing out on much since that's what my original M11 had. Also, this DAP has Prime mode which lets me use it as a standalone DAP which is how I was using the M11 when I had it.
I also have DX160. WiFi and BT is pretty bad but sound performance is really great and has more power. Let me know how does it compare.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #250 of 2,447
1.i can afford to do that in the name of the hobby and my own pleasure 2. Just share different realistic point from wide spread brain washing as other people read and yet spend on their pseudo products = keep them alive . After taking peoples money they MUST provide outstanding warranty / customer support where they fail.
You've been buying products for 16 years from a manufacturer who you say can't make anything good and you're doing all this so you can share a different point of view with people who like them and for your own pleasure? LOL. I smell a huge heap of BS.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #251 of 2,447
i have spend enough money to Shanling "products" since 2004 and no one working properly. No improvement whatsoever. Last i spend on M6pro = currently with swelled battery ........that sponsorship forum are last place for something real constructive to say.
I love civiliity. I'm all about mutual respect. I stand on truth, trust and integrity. But I think we need to treat you as I treated my little sister when I was 8 and she was 5 trying incessantly to annoy me ..... when i simply ignored her, she eventually went away. Your ranting, choice of language and utter inchoherance says more about you than it does about any product, manufacturer or other member on this site.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #252 of 2,447
You've been buying products for 16 years from a manufacturer who you say can't make anything good and you're doing all this so you can share a different point of view with people who like them and for your own pleasure? LOL. I smell a huge heap of BS.
All i says to andorids like you ......Every single product i have from Shanling 2000usd -425usd = currently fail and not working. Clearly Shanling not improving and yet QC issues

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #253 of 2,447
I love civiliity. I'm all about mutual respect. I stand on truth, trust and integrity. But I think we need to treat you as I treated my little sister when I was 8 and she was 5 trying incessantly to annoy me ..... when i simply ignored her, she eventually went away. Your ranting, choice of language and utter inchoherance says more about you than it does about any product, manufacturer or other member on this site.
hope u make enough money to sponsor and feed Shanling ....

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #254 of 2,447
All i says to andorids like you ......Every single product i have from Shanling 2000usd -425usd = currently fail and not working. Clearly Shanling not improving and yet QC issues
I don’t understand why you would buy so many products if they keep failing . If I bought one product from a company and it had a problem but I liked it, I would be willing to buy another product from that manufacturer and put it down to a one off fault. If the second product then developed a fault I wouldn’t bother buying their products again .
If you’re not going to buy the M3X why do you keep writing incoherent rubbish on this thread. I’m sure everyone else who is following this thread feels the same.
I for one am interested in this product and would like to find out people’s opinion on it.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #255 of 2,447
I don’t understand why you would buy so many products if they keep failing . If I bought one product from a company and it had a problem but I liked it, I would be willing to buy another product from that manufacturer and put it down to a one off fault. If the second product then developed a fault I wouldn’t bother buying their products again .
If you’re not going to buy the M3X why do you keep writing incoherent rubbish on this thread. I’m sure everyone else who is following this thread feels the same.
I for one am interested in this product and would like to find out people’s opinion on it.
Ignore him or her. He or she is trying to bait reactions..... quit encouraging them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back