Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #1,051 of 2,447
@Shanling
Will a "recently added" function be added somewhen? I for one would appreciate that a lot since I often update my library and would of course like to be able to listen to the new stuff in particular.
Therefore it would be fantastic to have a possibility to display folders in order of date. Even better would be the opportunity to then select various folders as a source for endless playback by chance (which of course no app I know of is capable atm).

Looking forward to my new toy (M3X) btw and how it will match with the IE900...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,052 of 2,447
Couldn't resist. ZX507 in middle. Yes, I have too many DAPs. I blame COVID.

Left to right:

Sony A105, Hiby R5, Sony ZX507, Shanling M3x and FiiO M11 Pro

Hi ! sorry for disturbing you but your advice is needed. Sony NW-A105 and Shanling M3X,
Is Shanling much better than this Sony model?
I know there is a balanced output and better autonomy, but the M3X has old Android and Bluetooth.
I've been using ipods and walkmanы all my life, and I don't know if I should try a Chinese manufacturer.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,053 of 2,447
Hi ! sorry for disturbing you but your advice is needed. Sony NW-A105 and Shanling M3X,
I know there is a balanced output and better autonomy, but the M3X has old Android and Bluetooth.
I've been using ipods and walkmanы all my life, and I don't know if I should try a Chinese manufacturer.
Have you been reading this thread? The M3X is a stunning value. Forget about the version of Android. You're getting this for music playback which is exceptional and Tidal, Spotify, QBuz all work perfectly on this thing. Bluetooth at 4.2 is vry stable and the LDAC transmission / receiving is stellar

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #1,054 of 2,447
Have you been reading this thread? The M3X is a stunning value. Forget about the version of Android. You're getting this for music playback which is exceptional and Tidal, Spotify, QBuz all work perfectly on this thing. Bluetooth at 4.2 is vry stable and the LDAC transmission / receiving is stellar
Yes my friend and thanks for reply :)
That's why I wrote that I had not used Chinese players before. A year ago I was thinking of buying a Hiby R5, but the bloated batteries stopped me, and after that I got prejudiced about the quality of Chinese manufacturers.
Why I'm worried about Android, I wouldn't mind using Apple Music on it when they add Hi-Res support to it, and I'm worried if this Android version will support this update.
Again, thanks for the answer. :)

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #1,055 of 2,447
@Shanling
Will a "recently added" function be added somewhen? I for one would appreciate that a lot since I often update my library and would of course like to be able to listen to the new stuff in particular.
Therefore it would be fantastic to have a possibility to display folders in order of date. Even better would be the opportunity to then select various folders as a source for endless playback by chance (which of course no app I know of is capable atm).

Looking forward to my new toy (M3X) btw and how it will match with the IE900...

Recently added is on one of the features we had in MTouch, but didn't made it into our app yet. Can't tell when it might make it.

Yes my friend and thanks for reply :)
That's why I wrote that I had not used Chinese players before. A year ago I was thinking of buying a Hiby R5, but the bloated batteries stopped me, and after that I got prejudiced about the quality of Chinese manufacturers.
Why I'm worried about Android, I wouldn't mind using Apple Music on it when they add Hi-Res support to it, and I'm worried if this Android version will support this update.
Again, thanks for the answer. :)

We are testing Apple music on our players these days, seems it's happily running at 24/192 (Pictured M6, but it's same system as M3X)

59f0e6ab67f701fd5e3f7e4293bba5e_resized.jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 15, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,056 of 2,447
Hi everyone. I got the M3X . All I can say is I an really loving it! (and this is only by using the 3.5SE so far!) It is definitely an upgrade from my iPad.

The Shanling M3X is actually my first DAP, so I can’t make comparisons with other DAP regarding the performance sound-wise, but all your inputs and feedbacks really helped. It gave me a perspective on how this lil monster compares to other DAPs out there, wether in the same price range or beyond. Thank you for that.

I have read from all of you, especially @holsen that balanced output will give you the best sound. Currently the 3.5mm SE is enough to drive my Blessing 2, but I want to try a balanced 4.4mm cable to see any improvements. Can you suggest any good cable for me to purchase?

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #1,057 of 2,447
Hi everyone. I got the M3X . All I can say is I an really loving it! (and this is only by using the 3.5SE so far!) It is definitely an upgrade from my iPad.

The Shanling M3X is actually my first DAP, so I can’t make comparisons with other DAP regarding the performance sound-wise, but all your inputs and feedbacks really helped. It gave me a perspective on how this lil monster compares to other DAPs out there, wether in the same price range or beyond. Thank you for that.

I have read from all of you, especially @holsen that balanced output will give you the best sound. Currently the 3.5mm SE is enough to drive my Blessing 2, but I want to try a balanced 4.4mm cable to see any improvements. Can you suggest any good cable for me to purchase?
So I would suggest this... You don't want to match the cable to the DAP, you want to match the cable to the IEM. There are 2 primary materials; silver and Copper. Many oem cables are silver plated copper but they come in varying degrees of purity. There are of course other materials like graphene and gold and we could go on and on.

Pure copper (UPOCC or 4N, 5N etc) are known to be a little warmer in terms of what they bring to the sound. Pure silver are known to be a little brighter in terms of what it brings to the sound signature.
These are generalities of course but copper will not make a bright iem warm and silver will not make a warm iem bright, these are subtle shades.

I don't know what your budget is but I've spent a fair number of dollars on cables and iems but one of the best value cables that I've ever bought is a Pure Silver Cable I got from XINHS on Ali Express. I can pair it with anything (I got both mmcx and 2 pin versions) I think I paid $20 for a 4 core version and $40 something for an 8 core. The 8 core is heavy. What I like about The Xin pure Silver is that it keeps the bass nice and tight but adds or clarifies the sparkle up top with out adding sibilance or thinning out the mids. So it's a very good cable and excellent value. That will give you a taste of cable upgrade without a large spend.

Others might tell you to get a pure copper as your first upgrade. I say silver... Cables are hotly debated but that's what I would do. If you want to see the difference, get one of each and. A B them but Just changing your source (M3X) will elevate the sound experience.... The cable will bring it up from there, it will open it up just a little more.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #1,059 of 2,447
Can someone please give me an idea as to the driving power of this DAP? Will it be a good investment if I plan to buy TOTL IEMs somewhere down the line, ones such as CFA Andromeda?

Also, does YouTube work well on this DAP? Or is it too battery consuming? Also, how's the battery with Spotify?

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #1,060 of 2,447
Can someone please give me an idea as to the driving power of this DAP? Will it be a good investment if I plan to buy TOTL IEMs somewhere down the line, ones such as CFA Andromeda?

Also, does YouTube work well on this DAP? Or is it too battery consuming? Also, how's the battery with Spotify?
@gadgetgod please advise. You tested andro with M3X, right?

Jun 16, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #1,061 of 2,447

In my opinion you have no problem with power. I have ca vega 2020. In the past i had a shanling m6 pro that i have sold. Now i drive the vega with an ibasso dc04. So i really curious about m3x. 150 mwatt are good for an iem

Jun 16, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,062 of 2,447

Yes, if I had to choose between the A105 and M3X, I would keep the M3X. It's simply more capable and powerful at a similar price. The only real advantages to the Sony is its' small size which unfortunately limits the battery runtime. Both are fine DAPs, but the M3X is a better value and can drive more power hungry devices.

Edit:
I just noticed that the A105 is currently on sale ($100 off) which might change things if price is a major concern. It's a darn good device for $250. I suppose it's possible that the sale prices might indicate a new device coming soon...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,063 of 2,447
After spending a little more time with the M3x I may have rushed my judgement when comparing it to the DX160. Now I feel that the DX160 is a cleaner sound and also picks up details better than the M3x. Don’t get me wrong they both sound good with my Mest MK2’s but I now believe that the DX160 sounds better or my preferences. However, I’ll be keeping the M3x for convenience and battery life. It’s a great portable player for work with my speaker. Like I said before the battery life in the DX160 is not great.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #1,064 of 2,447
Yes, if I had to choose between the A105 and M3X, I would keep the M3X. It's simply more capable and powerful at a similar price. The only real advantages to the Sony is its' small size which unfortunately limits the battery runtime. Both are fine DAPs, but the M3X is a better value and can drive more power hungry devices.

Edit:
I just noticed that the A105 is currently on sale ($100 off) which might change things if price is a major concern. It's a darn good device for $250. I suppose it's possible that the sale prices might indicate a new device coming soon...
Where are a that sale?

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,065 of 2,447
they're not in stock but they're still available to order if you're in the US. Amazon and Crutchfield both have it at $248:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NW-A105-Hi-Res-Player/dp/B082PMB7BQ
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-AHj2qCffXGv/p_158NWA105B/Sony-NW-A105-Walkman.html

FWIW I haven't tried the M3X yet (I preordered the silver one) but I really like Sony walkman's app UI/UX and the versatility of full android for ease of streaming apps and such on my ZX507. The portability is also really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back