Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,141 of 2,447
I'm using my M3X with XBA-N3BP on a regular basis and I am quite satisfied overall. It's my main "outside the house" setup with long battery life and non over-the-ear IEM. My ZX507 and M9 pairing is mostly used at home (battery life is not very good and fiddly over-the-ear IEM)...

As far as making decisions on DAPs, I'm the wrong guy to ask... that's why I have too many. :sunglasses:
😂 great answer! thank you for your responses!

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,143 of 2,447
Definitely not as powerful as M3X (with no balanced circuit) although, depending on your headphones/IEMs, it might not matter. When on sale, it is the least expensive full android DAP that I am aware of... And it's a Sony. The dongle suggestion is also a good one for less $$$. What phone and headphone do you have now?
I have an iPhone 7 and JVC HA-FDX1 IEMs.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,144 of 2,447
Hello, i just ordered m3x limited as my first DAP after only using ios for years, i’m using Blessing 2 with Qudelix 5k right now, can’t live without the eq, and B2 and B2Dusk is not just $10-20 in my country
Is there any system wide eq that works with spotify and local player? Thanks

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,145 of 2,447
I have an iPhone 7 and JVC HA-FDX1 IEMs.

That's a pretty decent setup as the iPhone Apple dongle actually measures well. Based on your original question (Spotify source, not really an audiophile), I'm not sure you will get a noticeable improvement with an entry level DAP. If you want to eventually go to high resolution audio, there are several dongle DACs (such as the Hiby FC3) that can get you there without a lot of $$$. Of course, this hobby can be fun, but it can be expensive with diminishing returns as you spend more.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,146 of 2,447
Just chiming in that you might want to consider the Sony NW-A105 which has recently been on sale for $250 (although not currently). It's a fine DAP with all the Sony bells and whistles... And it's really small.
I would advise against this. I bought one and had to return it. Interface was bad and slow, low power output, low volume and the battery lasted 6hours with everything turned off and optimized android. Returned it, got m3x and never looked back.

To people that want a cheap sony and dont need android, go nw-a55 and install mr walkmans firmware. A cheaper Android alternative to m3x would be hiby r3pro saber

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,147 of 2,447
Dear @Shanling ,
My M3X wifi connection seems to have frequent dropouts. All my other devices (phones, laptop) seems to connect to the wifi just fine without any dropouts, hence it’s should not be a router issue.
Do you have any solution for this matter?
Does anyone have the same problem?
If so, how did you guys solve this issue?

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #1,148 of 2,447
@Osiris89 .. I just saw your post .. I just picked up this unit from one of the head-fi members .. it just got to me today and I too am having similar WiFi issues ... my Shanling M5s connects without any issues, so something seems strange that it is happening to M3x. I am on the latest 1.4 firmware. I scanned this thread and everyone confirms very strong WiFi connection. I am going to try a reset and fully charge the device. I saw some prompt on the device on Battery Optimization that can cause WiFi disconnects .. I checked and no battery optimization is enabled on the device in any of the apps.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,149 of 2,447
Dear @Shanling ,
My M3X wifi connection seems to have frequent dropouts. All my other devices (phones, laptop) seems to connect to the wifi just fine without any dropouts, hence it’s should not be a router issue.
Tried a factory reset?

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,150 of 2,447
Our M3X review is now online on Headfonia. An article by @Aerosphere
https://www.headfonia.com/shanling-m3x-review/

Shanling-M3X-00.jpg

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,151 of 2,447
Dear @Shanling ,
check your router settings. if it still uses a 2.4ghz band, set it to just 20mhz then test again. you can also check if you lose connection when you are beside the router or away from it. and by dropout, di you mean that your wifi is getting disconnected or just the speed becoming slow?

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #1,152 of 2,447
hello wanna ask, this M3x have led indicator near on/off button.
is there a way to light on whenever play songs ? i've notice when the device turn on, the lights doesnt light either.
only turn it on for the first time the led indicator lights up white.
sorry for my bad english and thank you
LED is active only when charging, turning on device and when using Bluetooth.

Hi @Shanling -- just got the M3X a week ago, and generally am incredibly happy and impressed with the unit all-around; good job on this one!

I do have one concern, and that is the fairly slow start up time. Without an mSD card, the boot up slowish but it's bearable. After I added a 400G MicroSD Card (genuine SanDisk Ultra) mostly filled with lossless files, the unit takes an additional minute or so after the main boot, sitting on the screen saying "android is starting up...". After this completes, it operates fine without any noticeable delays. Several questions in relation to this, if you'd be so kind as to answer:

1) which filesystem is recommend by Shanling for large capacity cards? FAT32 or exFAT? If exFAT, what sector size -- 32K?
2) anything at all can be done by the user on the system level to speed up/optimize the boot time -- especially that portion after main boot where it says "android is starting"? what is it doing -- some sort of indexing? is it possible to turn it off?
3) is there some sort of a standby/sleep mode that isn't full shutdown, so the unit would wake up quicker -- at the cost of battery life, obviously? I am not finding anything like that in the settings -- only screen sleep and full off...
4) can any of this be improved with future firmware updates?

Thank you for any and all information!
1) We run our cards at Exfat, whatever is default setting in Windows formatting.
2) No way to adjust this, just standard Android thing.
3) M3X is like any other Android phone. There is no standby mode, just make sure you have no hungry app running on background and can keep it turned on
4) Not likely.

Dear @Shanling ,

What exactly are you seeing? That in longer distance from router you are not getting as stable connection with your phone? Or that even when close by to router it drop outs?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #1,153 of 2,447
I would advise against this. I bought one and had to return it. Interface was bad and slow, low power output, low volume and the battery lasted 6hours with everything turned off and optimized android. Returned it, got m3x and never looked back.

To people that want a cheap sony and dont need android, go nw-a55 and install mr walkmans firmware. A cheaper Android alternative to m3x would be hiby r3pro saber
I dont think hiby r3 pro saber is android though

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #1,155 of 2,447
Hi @Shanling -- just got the M3X a week ago, and generally am incredibly happy and impressed with the unit all-around; good job on this one!

I do have one concern, and that is the fairly slow start up time. Without an mSD card, the boot up slowish but it's bearable. After I added a 400G MicroSD Card (genuine SanDisk Ultra) mostly filled with lossless files, the unit takes an additional minute or so after the main boot, sitting on the screen saying "android is starting up...". After this completes, it operates fine without any noticeable delays. Several questions in relation to this, if you'd be so kind as to answer:

1) which filesystem is recommend by Shanling for large capacity cards? FAT32 or exFAT? If exFAT, what sector size -- 32K?
2) anything at all can be done by the user on the system level to speed up/optimize the boot time -- especially that portion after main boot where it says "android is starting"? what is it doing -- some sort of indexing? is it possible to turn it off?
3) is there some sort of a standby/sleep mode that isn't full shutdown, so the unit would wake up quicker -- at the cost of battery life, obviously? I am not finding anything like that in the settings -- only screen sleep and full off...
4) can any of this be improved with future firmware updates?

Thank you for any and all information!
1. exfat so you can still store single files that are more than 4Gb
2. none. how long does your boot time take up? i find boot time on the m3x quite faster than a regular android phone
3. automatic standby mode in android is usually after 5 minutes after the screen turns off. I use Naptime++ from the playstore though so it can trigger Deep Sleep 5 seconds after the screen turns off and it can make idle last a week or more when i am not using it, without having to turn off the device

Users who are viewing this thread

Back