Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 8, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,501 of 2,497
@Shanling I just got my M5s. Love how the device sound. I can hear the upgrade from my M2s and M0 that I own. I have a question regarding the Hiby Link feature. As far as I understood parsing through and search the thread mTouch OS replaced the Hiby OS in M0 and M5s, so the Hiby Link feature has been dropped off. I really love the Hiby Link feature in my M2s, will there be an App to interface with the M5s the same way?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #1,502 of 2,497
Is anyone else having issues charging the m5s while Bluetooth is active and connected to a phone as the source?

Hi, what problem exactly are you facing?

I'm now testing my M5s, using as BT receiver connected to phone over LDAC, connected to standard 1A charger and it shows as charging and slowly charging up.

@Shanling I just got my M5s. Love how the device sound. I can hear the upgrade from my M2s and M0 that I own. I have a question regarding the Hiby Link feature. As far as I understood parsing through and search the thread mTouch OS replaced the Hiby OS in M0 and M5s, so the Hiby Link feature has been dropped off. I really love the Hiby Link feature in my M2s, will there be an App to interface with the M5s the same way?

Our Android app is now in early Beta on Chinese market and it will bring similar function.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,503 of 2,497
Hi, what problem exactly are you facing?

I'm now testing my M5s, using as BT receiver connected to phone over LDAC, connected to standard 1A charger and it shows as charging and slowly charging up.

Our Android app is now in early Beta on Chinese market and it will bring similar function.

I have a Note 9 connected over LDAC Bluetooth. With my M5s connected to my Samsung charger, it will not charge. If I disconnect the Bluetooth connection and then turn off bluetooth on the m5s, it will then start charging fine. If I then, reconnect the Bluetooth to my phone (m5s still on the charger), the charging indicator goes off, on the m5s. Maybe I need a 1A wall charger?

Pretty impressed on the fast response. Your service team is amazing.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,504 of 2,497
I have a Note 9 connected over LDAC Bluetooth. With my M5s connected to my Samsung charger, it will not charge. If I disconnect the Bluetooth connection and then turn off bluetooth on the m5s, it will then start charging fine. If I then, reconnect the Bluetooth to my phone (m5s still on the charger), the charging indicator goes off, on the m5s. Maybe I need a 1A wall charger?

I would recommend to try different charger.

I will try to run around office and try other chargers myself.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,505 of 2,497

rather good information, pls inform your updates

Oki, waiting sometimes also means being happy:smirk:... What is your portable music player now? A DAP or smartphone ? If you are upgrading from any below 500 USD DAPs to Shanling M5s, I would say you will be more than happy ...

BTW, I have just read in the Hiby R6 thread, many people seem to have some problems with Android FW updates

im using a heavily modded Zishan DSD. Because it modded to my request and preferences, the sound quality is significantly better than AK100ii, cleaner and more detailed than Hiby R6. thats why im looking for other player with different sound signature

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #1,506 of 2,497
it has been awhile since I played with the mojo but, I didnt think it had enough power to really handle my Beyer's (600 Ohm) or HD650s at 300 Ohms. To me the Mojo did its best work when paired with 150 Ohm or less headphones which was a lot of the reason I didn't keep it around. If you are running it using low impedance IEMs, I can see where it would be superior to those I mentioned.
What dap around 500usd more or less would you choose to drive such powerful headphones instead of Mojo?

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #1,507 of 2,497
what do you think about pairing the M5S with Mojo (or other same-level similar portable dac/amp)

1.- Mojo is a 600 $US dedicated Dac/Amp... of course it improves the sound compared to the direct out of M5S
2.- Mojo is a side-grade for the M5s
3.- Mojo is a sidegrade compared to the balanced out of M5s
4.- Mojo is an upgrade compared to SE of M5s, but a downgrade to the balanced out
5.- Mojo is equivalent to the SE of M5s
6.- M5s doesn't need Mojo, as is ok, or superior, without it

I had Cayin N3 and for using with Beyer's Amiron Home I used with Mojo... now Im wondering if it worth the mojo with the M5s

what do you think?

I think you would waste some money.

If you pair with Mojo you hear the Mojo. And it doesn't matter what the source is. If you want use Mojo you can use the M0 as transport.
You are feeding a digital signal in the Mojo and that is the same regardless of the source.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,508 of 2,497
I think you would waste some money.

If you pair with Mojo you hear the Mojo. And it doesn't matter what the source is. If you want use Mojo you can use the M0 as transport.
You are feeding a digital signal in the Mojo and that is the same regardless of the source.
My exact thoughts. If pairing something with Mojo it would make more sense to me to use a device which adds streaming abilities too (the only things I miss on M5s like DLNA, Qobuz, Bandcamp etc support). A simple mobile would do fine in that respect.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,509 of 2,497

I can somewhat confirm that. I was able to reproduce this problem only once though, on the first try lol. The charging icon didn't come up when i plugged my charger while M5s was playing music in LDAC Bluetooth when connected to my Mi Mix 2S. It was a QC3.0 LeEco charger, I then tried to plug it to a regular 1A charger and a QC2.0 FiiO X5III charger and the icon didn't show up either. When I disconnected M5s from my phone (bluetooth was still enabled) the charging icon appeared immediately. Since then, it's working with no issues and I was not able to reproduce the problem anymore. Weird.

EDIT: Rebooting M5s made the issue come back. The problem seems inconsistent, but most of the time the device doesn't charge when connected to LDAC Bluetooth. Reconnecting in SBC mode makes the device charge again.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #1,510 of 2,497
Got my M5s about an hour ago. The build quality is really nice, feels like a true premium device. I briefly tried all it’s functions and found two issues:

1. Couldn’t update it through Wifi as it always shows “Failed to get version info” message. Had to do it manually with TF card. This is weird...

2. Not sure how is the lyrics support but it doesn’t show any lyrics with any of my Bandcamp album with embedded lyrics.

Besides these two I haven’t found any other issue yet. Will let it burn in for a while and listen later.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,511 of 2,497
What dap around 500usd more or less would you choose to drive such powerful headphones instead of Mojo?

The least expensive DAP that I feel really does that job justice is the iBasso DX150 with Amp8 and it is over your $500 price point by $200 for the amp module. Most inexpensive DAPs tend to compromise on output power in order to have better battery life and I have not found one short of something like the DX150 and its replacable amp modules that really targets high impedance over-ears. I think if I had $500 to work with, I'd pair a DAP to an external amp rather than look for a DAP to do it all. The Amps I mentioned, along with the Aune B1s would be my choices at the price point paired with something like the Cayin N3 or Shanling M0 as DAP.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,512 of 2,497
The least expensive DAP that I feel really does that job justice is the iBasso DX150 with Amp8 and it is over your $500 price point by $200 for the amp module. Most inexpensive DAPs tend to compromise on output power in order to have better battery life and I have not found one short of something like the DX150 and its replacable amp modules that really targets high impedance over-ears. I think if I had $500 to work with, I'd pair a DAP to an external amp rather than look for a DAP to do it all. The Amps I mentioned, along with the Aune B1s would be my choices at the price point paired with something like the Cayin N3 or Shanling M0 as DAP.

Hi, are you sure that Amp8 module is the right one for driving hungry High impedance (300 ohm, 600 ohm) open headphones with enough power? I have read about it, that it should be the opposite - to drive hungry Low impedance iems instead. I am looking for a dap that can drive my brighter sounding vintage Sennheisers, and its sound must be a bit warmer, bassier and more robust to compensate bright character of my headphones and add some amount of bass and body to their sound. From what I read, both M5s and DX150 have such tonality. I like sound of my Shanling M0 with them, I just need to get a little closer to the ideal power-wise and also quality-wise than with M0. My Chord Mojo is on another quality level than M0 but it is much brighter in tonality which does not suit them well. So the question is, if both DAPs are suitable tonality wise, is DX150 (possibly with Amp8 module or any other suitable module) significantly more powerfull and therefore could it drive my headphones a lot better than M5s? And what about its sound quality? Could it be similar to that of M5s? If I use balanced outputs, maybe M5s could be good enough upgrade from M0, or not so much?

/edit now I read user review where someone said, that DX150 has brighter tonality which matches darker sound of Sennheiser HD650 well. But I need the opposite - warmer tonality (may be a bit dark) with more robust sound body and higher amount of bass, but definitelly not brighter tonality, as Mojo has it. So I guess M5s is the DAP, that I should try.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,513 of 2,497
Hi, are you sure that Amp8 module is the right one for driving hungry High impedance (300 ohm, 600 ohm) open headphones with enough power? I have read about it, that it should be the opposite - to drive hungry Low impedance iems instead. I am looking for a dap that can drive my brighter sounding vintage Sennheisers, and its sound must be a bit warmer, bassier and more robust to compensate bright character of my headphones and add some amount of bass and body to their sound. From what I read, both M5s and DX150 have such tonality. I like sound of my Shanling M0 with them, I just need to get a little closer to the ideal power-wise and also quality-wise than with M0. My Chord Mojo is on another quality level than M0 but it is much brighter in tonality which does not suit them well. So the question is, if both DAPs are suitable tonality wise, is DX150 (possibly with Amp8 module or any other suitable module) significantly more powerfull and therefore could it drive my headphones a lot better than M5s? And what about its sound quality? Could it be similar to that of M5s? If I use balanced outputs, maybe M5s could be good enough upgrade from M0, or not so much?

Here are the numbers from Shanling on the M5s: (Copied from intro thread)

Output power:
Single ended - 240 mW @ 16 Ohm, 130 mW @ 32 Ohm, 13 mW @ 300 Ohm
Balanced - 540 mW @ 16 Ohm, 300 mW @ 32 Ohm, 29 mW @ 300 Ohm

As you can see, it drops off pretty big above about 150 Ohm and anything over that needs a bit of additional power to really open up. The DX150 with amp 8 will definitely push more power to higher impedance cans, but it is a jump up in price too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back