Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Dec 28, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #511 of 895
For anyone who has this DAP - had any flagships too? As AK or Sony and how far is it off in terms of sound? I am just curious as I am so close to pulling the trigger on something that’s $3000+ and I just don’t want to regret it. If this is 97%… and unless I use IEM’s that cost $3000 or more I will not hear the difference… see where I am going with this?
I don’t have a ‘flagship’ DAP but I do have a Cayin C9 which I use with my M6u when at home. The combo is phenomenal and whilst I’m very happy with the Shanling on its own, particularly if I’m on the go, the C9 takes it to a different level. The two together are still cheaper than a $3k DAP and the C9, with it’s replaceable batteries, will last you over 10 years, probably through a number of DAP’s.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #512 of 895
Hello I got a new M6U that was set to Chinese out of the box. Are there instructions anywhere for how to change it given I can’t navigate the menu in a language I don’t understand.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #516 of 895
Scroll down system settings, it's the 6th option from the top with a grey icon and a lowercase "I" inside...

first setting is Languages

Click the first option to adjust system language

you might have to hit the + sign and add English.

I get to this point but it won’t actually let me select the language. Maybe a factory reset is necessary (thanks btw)

Attachments

• 8B43DCCE-E62A-45D4-A241-D27947EE4AD6.jpeg
    8B43DCCE-E62A-45D4-A241-D27947EE4AD6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #518 of 895
I have no idea then... 😂

to erase/reset the device go to same grey icon again, bottom option is reset, bottom option is to erase all data.

Factory reset worked…thanks man!

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #520 of 895
The m6 ultra is plenty detailed and balanced, but it does feel slightly more mid and low focused. Big soundstage. I dig it, suits my preferences. Feels more full, and more exciting than the m3x. The m3x grew on me, but at first it felt boring. it’s quite balanced and detailed for its price. The m7 has a little more power and 2 more gb of ram, which makes it slightly more futureproof. Definitely try to listen or get from a place with a good return/exchange policy. At the end of the day you’ll probably be happy with either. Both are a clear step up from the m3x

I don’t know how you feel about brain/burn in. I haven’t done any burn in beyond just listening, but I do feel like the m6u sounds better once it warms up (15-20 minutes of listening). Some folks on the m7 thread report the m7 can be too bright at first, but gets better with use/burn in.

It's funny... I had the same experience with the M3x. At first, boring, but it grew on me a lot. Ill get the M6U soon, I'm hoping to keep the superb detail of the M3x, but with some additional AKM warmth. In any case the M3x really is a good player.

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #521 of 895
Has anyone compared M6U to M8?
The @Shanling account compared them a while back in this thread. Similar tuning, but the detail retrieval/resolution is a clear step up on the m8. Granted you have to deal with an ancient android os, and the m8 is a bit bigger and heavier

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #523 of 895
I'm having Wifi issues, this is crazy 😂. I was going between 'like new' Shanling M8 with great sound but the slow Snapdragon 400 series processor or the modern Shanling M6 Ultra with midrange sound but fast processor. This M6U is pretty much useless, it's getting speeds in realm of 700 kbps, 4mbps, sometimes 30mbps. My iPhone/MacBook result with 800-900 mbps speeds as I have fiber. Streaming apps are so slow to load, they are pretty much unusable.

If I knew M6U wasn't properly engineered, I would've purchased the M8 . How can Shanling such an issue, this needs to be fixed ASAP. It is unacceptable for a modern Android DAP. @Shanling I've sent a PM, get this fixed. This is a system wide issue and NOT acceptable for a modern Android DAP. Streaming is the whole reason people buy this DAP. Waiting 5 minutes to get from opening Apple Music to playing one song is not acceptable. I've tried other streaming apps like Amazon Music, apps don't load quickly either.

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #524 of 895
I'm having Wifi issues, this is crazy 😂. I was going between 'like new' Shanling M8 with great sound but the slow Snapdragon 400 series processor or the modern Shanling M6 Ultra with midrange sound but fast processor. This M6U is pretty much useless, it's getting speeds in realm of 700 kbps, 4mbps, sometimes 30mbps. My iPhone/MacBook result with 800-900 mbps speeds as I have fiber. Streaming apps are so slow to load, they are pretty much unusable.

If I knew M6U wasn't properly engineered, I would've purchased the M8 . How can Shanling such an issue, this needs to be fixed ASAP. It is unacceptable for a modern Android DAP. @Shanling I've sent a PM, get this fixed. This is a system wide issue and NOT acceptable for a modern Android DAP. Streaming is the whole reason people buy this DAP. Waiting 5 minutes to get from opening Apple Music to playing one song is not acceptable. I've tried other streaming apps like Amazon Music, apps don't load quickly either.
It is not a "system wide issue" as my download speeds are 80% of my WiFi connection. I am on Spectrum internet server, using a TP-Link Deco Mesh. And Shanling is aware of the issue with some users experiencing slower download efficiency. They are prompt in replying to PM's, so hopefully they can address your issue.

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #525 of 895
It is not a "system wide issue" as my download speeds are 80% of my WiFi connection. I am on Spectrum internet server, using a TP-Link Deco Mesh. And Shanling is aware of the issue with some users experiencing slower download efficiency. They are prompt in replying to PM's, so hopefully they can address your issue.
When I say system wide, my other streaming apps on M6U don't load either. Running speed test on M6U results speeds which vary from 700 kbps to 40 mpbs, very inconsistent. Shanling M6U itself experiences unusable download speeds, regardless of the app. I am using Amazon Music HD and Apple Music. I notice very slow speeds when downloading apps from APK Pure as well. It took nearly 7 minutes to download Apple Music. I have sent Shanling a PM on this.

Therefore the wifi issues are systemwide on M6U and not app specific.

My router is a Linksys MX4000 Series WiFi 6.

Glad to see your download speeds are 80% of the max speed, you can enjoy streaming apps. For me it's a very different situation. 700 kbps is a fraction of a percent of my 845 mbps and streaming apps will simply not work with such low speeds. Shanling should not ship streaming devices with critical error like this to paying customers with such a flaw. FYI, I support their products. I have purchased many of their stuffs in the past from M6, M6Pro, M8, M30. I understand devices are not perfect at launch, but this is a significant issue.

The sound is good though, no doubting that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back