Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Aug 1, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #151 of 975
Hello,
I have issue when trying to install new Firmware 1.6.

I installed the lastest xmos v1.12 in UAC 2.0 mode but when trying to install firmware 1.6 in UAC 1.0 mode it is written that I have two devices and when I click Yes or No it's written successful but not ... Help please

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_102656.jpg
    IMG_20210801_102656.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210801_102443.jpg
    IMG_20210801_102443.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #152 of 975
Hello,

I installed the lastest xmos v1.12 in UAC 1.0 mode but when trying to install firmware 1.6 in UAC 2.0 mode it is written that I have two devices and when I click Yes or No it's written successful but not ... Help please

You did it backward - XMOS driver needs to be install on UAC2.0 while Firmware 1.6 needs to be installed on UAC1.0.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #153 of 975
I did it properly because I was able to install the xmos driver without any issue. I modified my post.

Because when I try to install firmware with 2.0 it is written that device not found and error. Whereas when I use 1.0 it's saying this message that they are 2 devices

Is there any way to install the lastest firmware?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #154 of 975
MQA support not yet available, will be added through firmware update later.
Why would you keep including a defective codec into new hardware products? MQA has been independently analyzed and measured and shown to produce worse than lossless output, never mind the "studio master quality" it was falsely promising. You could've made your product more affordable if you hadn't integrated this MQA scam into it.

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #155 of 975
Why would you keep including a defective codec into new hardware products? MQA has been independently analyzed and measured and shown to produce worse than lossless output, never mind the "studio master quality" it was falsely promising. You could've made your product more affordable if you hadn't integrated this MQA scam into it.
Well, uuuh, maybe because some of their customers really want it? Give it a rest.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #156 of 975
I did it properly because I was able to install the xmos driver without any issue. I modified my post.

Because when I try to install firmware with 2.0 it is written that device not found and error. Whereas when I use 1.0 it's saying this message that they are 2 devices

Is there any way to install the lastest firmware?

I will suggest you go into your Windows setting's Device Manager and see if you can find two similar devices listed under sound card. If it does, remove them all from Device Manager (or if you are not sure, remove all USB DAC listed inside anyway). Then remove all the USB device connected to your PC and only connect the bare minimum, let Windows reinstall UP5 by itself and try firmware update again.

What people want and what is good for them, unfortunately, are often not the same thing. To be fair to Shanling, the DAC/amp chip they used in UP5 (*which is one of the latest from ESS) already has MQA built into the chip itself. Shanling more or less just made a custom XMOS passthrough firmware to enable it. With AKM being mostly out-of-action in DAC/amp chip market, which ESS is currently dominating and has seem to be quite dead set on bringing MQA to more of its chips, my guess is we will see more and more of MQA whether we like it or not.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #157 of 975
My Samsung TV is made in 2016. Will this device connect to it and allow me to listen via Bluetooth?
Wasn't possible with AP80 Pro.
Well, did you tried with any BT headphones or Bluetooth amplifier before?

@Shanling Are there any updates on General Availability of the UP5 for your U.S. based distributors?
Musicteck should have them sometime in August.

Hello,

I installed the lastest xmos v1.12 in UAC 2.0 mode but when trying to install firmware 1.6 in UAC 1.0 mode it is written that I have two devices and when I click Yes or No it's written successful but not ... Help please
As ClieOS said, please firstly check device manager, how does it show UP5.
Another possibility, software is detecting some other connected device running on similar Qualcomm system, causing confussion.

You can try OTA update through app:

1.Connect UP5 to Android or iOS device and open the Shanling Controller app. Make sure that your app is updated to the latest version and that UP5 is connected with the app.

2.In the app, open side menu (…) and go to “Bluetooth device control”.

3.Tap on the arrow at the Shanling UP5 listing. Start the update and wait until the app downloads and installs new firmware onto your UP5.

In regards to future of MQA support on our devices, we will see how the market evolves. For now it's still highly demanded by Tidal users.
And please keep in mind development cycle of each product, for example UA2 was in development since last summer.

If you have any beef with MQA and their promises, please contact them directly.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #159 of 975
To be fair to Shanling, the DAC/amp chip they used in UP5 (*which is one of the latest from ESS) already has MQA built into the chip itself. Shanling more or less just made a custom XMOS passthrough firmware to enable it. With AKM being mostly out-of-action in DAC/amp chip market, which ESS is currently dominating and has seem to be quite dead set on bringing MQA to more of its chips, my guess is we will see more and more of MQA whether we like it or not.
Ah, my bad then, barking up the wrong tree. :) I thought this was in the hands of source device manufacturers, but it's with the chip people. I guess it's the likes of ESS I should be poking with a stick. (MQA or Tidal can't be expected to react honestly to this, so there's no point in contacting them directly.)

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #161 of 975
Chord Mojo, and Chord Hugo 2 did connect to my TVs Bluetooth without problem.
It's a Samsung 32 inch LED TV.

How do you get Mojo itself to connect to anything via BT? Poly?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #162 of 975
Well, did you tried with any BT headphones or Bluetooth amplifier before?

Musicteck should have them sometime in August.

As ClieOS said, please firstly check device manager, how does it show UP5.
Another possibility, software is detecting some other connected device running on similar Qualcomm system, causing confussion.

You can try OTA update through app:

1.Connect UP5 to Android or iOS device and open the Shanling Controller app. Make sure that your app is updated to the latest version and that UP5 is connected with the app.

2.In the app, open side menu (…) and go to “Bluetooth device control”.

3.Tap on the arrow at the Shanling UP5 listing. Start the update and wait until the app downloads and installs new firmware onto your UP5.

In regards to future of MQA support on our devices, we will see how the market evolves. For now it's still highly demanded by Tidal users.
And please keep in mind development cycle of each product, for example UA2 was in development since last summer.

If you have any beef with MQA and their promises, please contact them directly.
Thanks I am trying to upload via the app Shanling from my phone but it seems it's never ending and when I try to return it's written "firmware update in progress. Please wait" but since one hour same status despite good connection.

Any other ideas ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-02-12-42-15-588_com.shanling.shanlingcontroller.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-02-12-42-15-588_com.shanling.shanlingcontroller.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021-08-02-12-42-11-478_com.shanling.shanlingcontroller.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-02-12-42-11-478_com.shanling.shanlingcontroller.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021-08-02-12-42-07-891_com.shanling.shanlingcontroller.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-02-12-42-07-891_com.shanling.shanlingcontroller.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #163 of 975
Ah, my bad then, barking up the wrong tree. :) I thought this was in the hands of source device manufacturers, but it's with the chip people. I guess it's the likes of ESS I should be poking with a stick. (MQA or Tidal can't be expected to react honestly to this, so there's no point in contacting them directly.)

Realistically no one is gonna stop supporting MQA until it is no longer financially viable, i.e. until consumers don't want MQA support. These are all commercial decisions. ESS doesn't care if the technical claims about MQA are true, they only care whether or not MQA support helps them sell chips.

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #164 of 975
Introducing Shanling UP5

New flagship model of our portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP line. Building upon our popular UP4, but with a few key improvements, making it not only a better Bluetooth device, but also a better USB DAC/AMP.
  • New Bluetooth chip Qualcomm QCC5120
  • Upgraded to ESS Sabre ES9219C DAC/AMPs
  • Three outputs – 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm
  • Small OLED screens for easy access to settings and playback information
  • XMOS USB input, allowing UP5 to function as a proper USB DAC/AMP
  • MQA Support
  • Car mode
MSRP 179 USD/Euro

up5.png

DAC/AMP: 2X ESS Sabre ES9219C
Outputs: 3.5mm Single ended, 2.5mm & 4.4mm Balanced
Bluetooth Chip: Qualcomm QCC5120
Bluetooth version: 5.0
Bluetooth codec: LDAC, LHDC, aptX HD, aptX LL, aptX, AAC, SBC
Output power:

• Single ended, single DAC – 90 mW@32ohm
  • Single ended, dual DAC – 112 mW@32ohm
  • Balanced – 240 mW@32ohm
Battery life: Up to 15 hours (Single ended, Single DAC) / Up to 11 hours (Balanced)
Battery: 680 mAh
Size: 68 x 39 x 14.5mm
Weight: 50g
Received the UP5 today. Using the Radio Paradise MQA source on my Blusound Node (2021) BT output Aptx HD using 4.4mm balanced output from the UP5 to my Focal Radiance 300ohm cans. Unbelievable sound quality......very pleased as compared to Qudelix-5K I was using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back