Shaving, gents
Dec 23, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #901 of 943
I use a disposable Bic razor and shave in the shower using soap. I use my hand to cover the beard I want to save and shave up to it so I don't need a mirror.

I never use any aftershave or cologne and can't stand the smell of it on my face.

Every time I shave with soap I get acne. So I pretty much stopped doing it entirely.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #904 of 943
I'm a big de shaver. Recently just offloaded a bunch of fougere gothique to try various saponificio varesino products. My go to razor is a Gillette adjustable on 9 at the moment.

Well that sucks. I would have grabbed a Fougere Gothique aftershave or two from you.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #905 of 943
imageService

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #907 of 943
Switched to double edge but still cut myself almost every other shave. Lathering up is fun but the entire process is just so time consuming.
You should try using oil on your beard before you shave. You can still cut yourself if you're careless, obviously, but otherwise it helps the blade glide over your skin. I use Bevel (they also have a 0.25oz bottle for $6), but you could probably use something like olive oil, too, just make sure it's not rancid. If you really want to get into it, tea tree oil and lavender oil are antimicrobial and menthol oil is anesthetic.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #908 of 943
You should try using oil on your beard before you shave. You can still cut yourself if you're careless, obviously, but otherwise it helps the blade glide over your skin. I use Bevel (they also have a 0.25oz bottle for $6), but you could probably use something like olive oil, too, just make sure it's not rancid. If you really want to get into it, tea tree oil and lavender oil are antimicrobial and menthol oil is anesthetic.

Might give olive oil a try. I think tea tree would be to strong for my skin.

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #909 of 943
Might give olive oil a try. I think tea tree would be to strong for my skin.
Sorry, I meant you could use the essential oils as an additive to the olive oil. You'd only use a drop of essential.

Splash your face with warm water, then apply the oil, then lather. You don't need much oil to do your whole beard-- just a puddle about the size of a nickel or a quarter in your palm.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #910 of 943
Sorry, I meant you could use the essential oils as an additive to the olive oil. You'd only use a drop of essential.

Splash your face with warm water, then apply the oil, then lather. You don't need much oil to do your whole beard-- just a puddle about the size of a nickel or a quarter in your palm.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Actually worked well, but I think what works best is just taking my damn time. Lol

May 7, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #913 of 943
Lately I've been so lazy to shave I just grab my andi's hair T-outliner trimmer and use that as a shaver and gives the right amount of stubble. If I have to go into the office or meet with clients then I'll shave with a boring Gillette power and the ball thing fusion.

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #914 of 943
I actually really like the Supply single edge safety razor - works with standard single edge blades and has three preset depth stops. Takes getting used to (let the blade do the cutting, no pressing) but I get a much smoother shave than I ever did with cartridge razors and above all no irritation. I backed their Kickstarter for their most recent version.

No fussier than a cartridge razor to use and swap blades, better shave, and much cheaper. Big plus from me.

https://getsupply.com/

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #915 of 943
Anyone into high end shaving brushes..? I have a liking for PLISSON High Mountain Badger Hair Brushes by PLISSON of France... Will post pictures shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back