Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 3, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #46 of 4,593
You should get closed cans Jubei. Believe it or now, even the HD 201's I tried in a very busy Apple Store in my country isolated outside noise (110+ db) that well. The Flats and the Technicas will be almost the same IMO.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #47 of 4,593
I suppose circumaural phones do isolate better but the heat would be unbearable over here. Even with the PX100 my ears were sweating with 15 minutes today.

Still, I might need a pair of over-the-head cans for rough use with ear has infection or sore spots. My PX100 has its fair share of problems with disintegrating headband pads and loose plug
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #48 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One non-musical use for the iGrados is as ear mufflers. Seriously, they are pretty warm, necessary for our Wisconsin winters (and maybe not a plus in Florida).

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are not many good closed portables under $50. So it is interesting to see how $100 closed compare to the best $50 open phones.

If Yuin makes a headband version of G2A, with more isolation, maybe it can be an ES7 killer.

Allright, more comparos to come then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess my question is in these types of high level noise, will the JVC Flats or something more pricey like either the ATH-FC700A of ES7 make any worthwhile difference? Or should I just stick to IEMs?

Worthwile difference? Perhaps. Will they isolate as much as IEMs? No way. I think they best-isolating portables I rated (the ATH-ON3 with an artificial seal) are just a bit less isolating than the least-isolating IEMs I've tried (something like the H-D RE2's). I find closed portables to be pretty usable outside but I really can't imagine out streets being 100db loud - that's quite shocking. And yes, the ones that seal well get very, very hot. You'd want some cloth pads instead of pleather.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #49 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get closed cans Jubei. Believe it or now, even the HD 201's I tried in a very busy Apple Store in my country isolated outside noise (110+ db) that well. The Flats and the Technicas will be almost the same IMO.

Do you live on an aircraft carrier?
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #50 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Hong Kong is ridiculous in terms of noise pollution - mind you the noise levels don't even really take into consideration the constant road work noise and flat renovation noise (drilling, demolition etc) that happens every day in Hong Kong and is not avoidable.

At Chinese restaurants, it is common to be in situations where it is so noisy (loud patrons, dish noise, awful background music) one cannot have a decent conversation with friends over a meal.

Honestly, HK is nice place for gadget and PC shopping in general, but living here is unpleasant. Personally, I hate the tropical weather and I can't get any peace and quiet until this ungodly hour - I spend most of my time listening to music after midnight till I get tired.

As for the cans, I think I still might opt for a spare pair of cheap-ish portable closed cans. Price-wise leaning towards JVC Flats but will trial a few more pairs of AT and Denons.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #51 of 4,593
Got it, I did notice even back in the 70s when I visited HK that the construction noise was pretty bad. I can't imagine how it might be now with even more growth. Jackhammers and other equipment going on all day long would get very tiring after a short while.

Good luck in your search.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #52 of 4,593
Quote:

Got it, I did notice even back in the 70s when I visited HK that the construction noise was pretty bad. I can't imagine how it might be now with even more growth. Jackhammers and other equipment going on all day long would get very tiring after a short while.

Good luck in your search.

The worst is renovation work in the apartment upstairs - 1-2 weeks of knocking down walls and stuff, then another 2-3 weeks of assorted drilling and hammering. Normal starts at 8:30 in the morning and lasts to 6-7 at night. Even on Saturdays ....

I live in an apartment block with 6 flats per floor, total of 24 floors = 144 apartments. Hong Kongers love to buy and sell property / apartments, so there is nearly always some bloody renovation going on.

But I digress - will go to Wanchai tomorrow afternoon and go a headphone shopping!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #54 of 4,593
Quote:

biggrin.gif

LOL. Even the malls here in my country reach up to 100+ db in peak hours. We're just that noisy.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #55 of 4,593
I haven't read this thread but I find it funny that the title has a 56K warning in it. Do people still use 56K modems?! I can't imagine how long even the homepage of a site like head-fi.org (or any other modern website) would take to load on that slow of a connection!

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #56 of 4,593
hahaha, (##7) Parts-Express Mini Headphones. I recognized those as soon as I saw them since I bought a couple pairs to use the headband for my ksc75s. I think it's hilarious (in a good way) that someone would review those, and I agree completely with worst sounding headphone I have ever heard. I'm not sure they're marketed for anything but voice/speech, etc., but they even suck for that. thanks, you made my day.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #57 of 4,593
So finally I went to buy myself a pair of portable closed headphones and it was a total disaster ... the intention was to go cheap and get something like JVC Flats, but I ended up spending considerably more in a pair of ATH-ES55.

Phones demoed today included ATH-FC700A, JVC Flats, ATH-ES7, Beyer DT 231 Pro. To be honest, I am not even sure why I ended up buying the ES55 ...

I will say this though, on symphonic black metal, both the ES55 and ES7 did a better job. On the other cans, the aggressive guitars and drums sounded rather muddled. I sort of preferred to ES55 because it was a) cheaper, and b) less bassy (never thought I would say that!).

Maybe it is age - am I hearing less highs theses days? - but while 5-10 years ago nothing had enough bass, these days I find most budget cans lacking in highs. Together with bloated bass, it is not appealing. Still think the JVC Flats are good value for money though.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #58 of 4,593
Excellent reviews of each of those 'phones. It's helped me narrow down my next headphone purchase (KSC75 vs. PX100).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #59 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent reviews of each of those 'phones. It's helped me narrow down my next headphone purchase (KSC75 vs. PX100).
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the koss. They are cheaper than the senns and sound a lot better.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #60 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the koss. They are cheaper than the senns and sound a lot better.

ditto on the Koss, I kept my Senn 100s for about a week, still have several pair of the Koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back