Should I buy Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nadavs2310

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I have HD598SE without an amp and I saw that someone near me is selling this sound card for about 50$ like new and new in my country costs about 90$, Should I buy it? will I feel any diffrence? is it a good sound card in general? and will I feel both the 5.1 and still the soundstage of my headphones?
Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 8
I have HD598SE without an amp and I saw that someone near me is selling this sound card for about 50$ like new and new in my country costs about 90$, Should I buy it? will I feel any diffrence? is it a good sound card in general? and will I feel both the 5.1 and still the soundstage of my headphones?

Hard to tell, product page says it has SBX Pro Studio but doesn't specifically state that it has Virtual Surround.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Hard to tell, product page says it has SBX Pro Studio but doesn't specifically state that it has Virtual Surround.
Hi, I don't know much about audio so I didnt really understand what is the bottom line of what you side. Can the sound card hurt my audio quality? can it improve it? and if i won't feel both the 5.1 and the soundstage will it hurt the soundstage or anything? in the bottom line should I buy it?

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Well just looking at the website it said the headphone and mic connections were great for internet chatting so I don't think this is made for headphone use.

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't game much anymore so I can't say about gaming but is there something you think your missing listening to the way you do now?

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 8

Dude. Time zones. I went to sleep and went to work, and now on lunch break.

Hi, I don't know much about audio so I didnt really understand what is the bottom line of what you side. Can the sound card hurt my audio quality? can it improve it? and if i won't feel both the 5.1 and the soundstage will it hurt the soundstage or anything? in the bottom line should I buy it?

Virtual Surround takes 5.1 or 7.1 audio and remixes it into a 2ch signal so that when you hear it through two physical channels it's filtered across both channels and with some reverb added to simulate the effect of having small surround speakers in a room. Note it can't make your headphones sound exactly like speakers (much less a large home theater) but it's going to make sounds coming from the front to the flanks more accurate in terms of positioning rather than the tendency of headphones to have a strong Left, Center, and Right image but weak between L-C and C-R. Just listen to how a drum roll starts on the right, then kinda weakens, then reappears just as loud in the center, gets weak again, then reappears on the left. This helps immersion in movies and games, but in some cases can do more than simple crossfeed on stereo music as the reverb designed for doing this to a surround signal isn't the same as simple Crossfeed, which is what's designed to do this for 2ch music recorded for playback on speakers (which is anything that isn't labelled "Binaural").

Thanks for the awnser.
In general should I buy a sound card or an amp (a cheap one) for gaming on hd 598se?

An amp will at best eliminate distortion and noise if whatever you were using is producing distortion and noise (if it's being produced by upstream components then it won't remove that either). A soundcard with Virtual Surround will do what I outlined above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back