Should I buy the Philips SHP9500 for $120, wait, or get another pair of headphones?
Oct 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Maxwell10206

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a new set of open headphones since my Custom One Pros just don't satisfy me anymore. I was looking for a headphone that has well balanced sound, a wide sound stage, and comfortable like most Sennheiser headphones such as the HD598 and HD600. Today, I started watching review from a youtuber known as Z Reviews, and came upon a review for the Philips shp9500. He was all excited about how these $60 headphones were better than his HD600. I was astounded. I went to go buy them on Amazon but I noticed the price literally doubled in the past month from $60 to now $120. damn! Should I still buy them, wait awhile until the price drops around the holidays (I'm not in a hurry), or find another pair of headphones around $150 or below? Thanks.

EDIT:
I just want a pair of headphones that have these qualities.

-Comfortable enough so I can just lay my head back on a chair and listen for hours. My Custom One Pros were too bulky and would press up against the back of my chair :frowning2:
-I listen to all genres of music so I just want to hear all frequencies like the artist intended for me to hear his song as.
-A good sound stage so it sounds like I'm listening to speakers instead of headphones.

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 20
I was able to score the SHP9500 for $50 and they are a good value at $50.
but at $120 is a little high (bass is a little crude).
I prefer the sound of my HD558 and they swill sell used for $85.

At $150, I would say to check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X.
Several used on for sale on eBay, should sell for well under $150

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 20

I prefer the sound of my HD558 and they swill sell used for $85.

At $150, I would say to check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X.

I'll argue the other side since I think the SHP9500 equals (or beats) the AD900x and destroys the HD558 not only in sound but in build quality and comfort.  Did I say "destroy?"  Maybe that's a little harsh.  maybe.  
biggrin.gif

I could argue reasons why the AD900x might be preferred, but I just listened to my HD558 again yesterday because I was asking myself if it really deserves the dislike I have for it.  Yep, still deserves it. 

The hype train has only recently pulled out of the station on the SHP9500, so I wouldn't expect any big sales on them, assuming they even still make them. 

The OP might want to clarify what he means by "wide" soundstage since they're all "good," but the AD900x is in a different class of soundstage compared to the other ones.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 20
What I meant by wide sound stage was that I want a pair of headphones with a "good" sound stage. I've heard reviews knock down headphones cause they said it had little to no sound stage like the M50s, which they are closed so I understand it probably has a bad sound stage.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 20
I just want a pair of headphones that have these qualities.

-Comfortable enough so I can just lay my head back on a chair and listen for hours. My Custom One Pros were too bulky and would press up against the back of my chair :frowning2:
-I listen to all genres of music so I just want to hear all frequencies like the artist intended for me to hear his song as.
-A good sound stage so it sounds like I'm listening to speakers instead of headphones.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 20
The SHP9500 is supremely comfortable, has an airy sound with decent bass, and the sound quality can be improved significantly with the Magick Man mod. All headphones have tiny soundstage compared to the real thing, so don't expect it to be like speakers filling a room with sound. (The SHP9500's soundstage is more expansive than closed headphones, at least.) If you want by far the best sound in that price range, look into used STAX systems. You'd have to get an electret, though, since full-fledged electrostats are much more expensive, and the electret I owned was not comfortable. "As the artist intended" is meaningless because artists intend all sorts of things. Some of them mix their music to be heard on bassy headphones, for example.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 20
  Are the HD558 more or less comfortable than the ATH-AD900X?

The HD558 are slightly tighter grip (but i can easily still wear them for hours on end), which helps hold the headphones in place.
The AD900X will have a loser grip (basing this on the A900X I own).

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 20
  What I meant by wide sound stage was that I want a pair of headphones with a "good" sound stage. I've heard reviews knock down headphones cause they said it had little to no sound stage like the M50s, which they are closed so I understand it probably has a bad sound stage.

Both the Audio Technica 9XX series and Sennheiser HD5XX series seem to work well for FPS gaming, so i do not think you would have any issues with their sound stage.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 20
  Maybe I don't care about soundstage as much as I thought. I'm kind of interested in the Bose SoundTrue Headphones.

Oh, closed headphones are okay? My favorite closed headphone is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. $399 MSRP, at one point sold for $150, discontinued and now sells for $250, but can be found used for $100 or so if you're lucky. Never heard the SoundTrue, but owned the QC15 for years. It's capable of much better sound than people realize. You just have to use a normal headphone cable instead of the stock cables. It was originally $300 but can also be found used for under $100. You'll always get better value from the used market. The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is good as well. I'm actually listening to the M30x right now. (I don't like the M50x because it has overwhelming bass.)

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Yes closed headphones are fine. How are the ATH-MXX series in comfort-ability? I've heard the M50s are somewhat uncomfortable to wear. I'm not interested in the QC15 since they use batteries, I don't like maintaining headphones. Is it a good idea to buy used headphones?

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 20
  Yes closed headphones are fine. How are the ATH-MXX series in comfort-ability? I've heard the M50s are somewhat uncomfortable to wear. I'm not interested in the QC15 since they use batteries, I don't like maintaining headphones. Is it a good idea to buy used headphones?

Comfort is acceptable, but nowhere near as comfortable as the SHP9500. Depends on the size and shape of your ears, ultimately.

As long as you don't require a return policy and don't mind having to sell or trade it yourself if you decide not to keep it.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 20
I think I'm a little lost and all over the place with headphones. I'm going to stop by Guitar Center this weekend and test out some known headphones and write down my thoughts and figure out what I want haha.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 20
  I think I'm a little lost and all over the place with headphones. I'm going to stop by Guitar Center this weekend and test out some known headphones and write down my thoughts and figure out what I want haha.

Sounds like a plan! Definitely more efficient than buying so many headphones before hearing them like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back