Should I consider doing this trade?
Feb 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

PhoebeFairchild

100+ Head-Fier
I have a mint pair of Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones. I am seriously considering to post a for trade classified to trade them for these items:

1. Grado RS-1i

2. Sennheiser HD-650 with Cardas Headphone Replacement cable

3. Westone TrueFit 4 with tips and cleaning kit

If you were me, then what other recommendations would you make for me to consider as a part of my trade?

I don't want to sell my headphones for money. I want to do a trade with no transfer of money.

The reason why I am considering to trade my ATH-W5000 headphones is due to the fact that I always wanted to try out the other headphones or earphone that I listed. I am especially interested in the Grado RS-1i headphones as I have heard them before and I really like the Grado house sound.

Do you think that this would be a fair trade?

Is anyone here willing to consider doing a trade with me? I know that I am a new member here, but I would be willing to provide enough information to make my potential Head-Fi member comfortable in doing a trade with me.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 27
1) go to the headphone "for sale" forum
2) create a new thread
3) call it an 'interest check'
4) copy/paste the same content you have in your OP to this new thread
5) post thread

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 27

The W5000 would be a fair trade somewhat for a Grado GS1000i but not a pair of RS1i's - it's a
$1200 headphone up against a $695 headphone. Why just drop $500 out the window?

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 27

Quote:

The W5000 would be a fair trade somewhat for a Grado GS1000i but not a pair of RS1i's - it's a
$1200 headphone up against a $695 headphone. Why just drop $500 out the window?

Agreed.

Why not sell it and buy something used for that money?

money gives you a lot more options too.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 27
However, the GS1000i has always been extremely disliked among TOTL cans, whereas the RS1i is almost universally praised.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
However, the GS1000i has always been extremely disliked among TOTL cans, whereas the RS1i is almost universally praised.

Just strange to straight swap it for the RS1i and lose $500 - the GS1000i has it's fair share of haters but in some parts
 of the world like England, France, Italy and even Germany - it's considered top notch.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
When I bought my W5000 a few years back, it was around $700. Did it go back up to MSRP?

They're running a special at the moment but you can clearly see the old retail price at Headphone.com

Audio Technica ATH-W5000

Your Price: $999.00 
[size=0.8em]MSRP $1,199.95[/size]

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 27
Maybe you can ask for RS1i + some cash instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 27
For some unknown reason, I can't post a classified in the for sale or trade headphone forum. I joined last month and I have more than 15 posts so I think that I met the posting requirements in the sticky.

How much would a used pair of Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones in mint condition that are less than two years old fetch for? I looked in the for sale and trade forums and all I saw were no prices since the sales were concluded. I am thinking that I could sell mine for about $600 - $650 USD. Are those prices too low? What price range would you suggest?

Do you really believe that I could get a Grado GS-1000i for my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones? I never even considered this to be possible. Who would want to do a trade with me?

Do you think that I should trade or sell my headphones? I know that only I can answer this decision for myself, but why should I keep them any longer? I love their design, but I find that the bass is a little soft for some rock and pop music that I like to listen to. However, they are still quite amazing headphones that few other top of the line headphones can match or surpass.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
For some unknown reason, I can't post a classified in the for sale or trade headphone forum. I joined last month and I have more than 15 posts so I think that I met the posting requirements in the sticky.

How much would a used pair of Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones in mint condition that are less than two years old fetch for? I looked in the for sale and trade forums and all I saw were no prices since the sales were concluded. I am thinking that I could sell mine for about $600 - $650 USD. Are those prices too low? What price range would you suggest?

Do you really believe that I could get a Grado GS-1000i for my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones? I never even considered this to be possible. Who would want to do a trade with me?

Do you think that I should trade or sell my headphones? I know that only I can answer this decision for myself, but why should I keep them any longer? I love their design, but I find that the bass is a little soft for some rock and pop music that I like to listen to. However, they are still quite amazing headphones that few other top of the line headphones can match or surpass.

I vote for 'sell' followed by some scrimping and saving - that way you'll have the best of both worlds - the AT-W5000's whilst loved in a sense will be gone for
 a lump of cash - you should be able to get $650USD for them if they're mint, coupled with a few extra bucks you can opt for either the RS1i or GS1000i.

If you're in the US - there's no excuse for not walking, driving, crawling to a Grado dealership for a demo to find out what deserves your pennies to
 replace the Raffinato.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 27
I do have an authorized Grado dealer in the next adjacent town next to mine. He does not stock Grado headphones for demo purposes. They are available by special order only.

I think that I will wind up trading my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones.

I sent a private message to Zanth and Jude asking them why I can not post a classified in the headphone for sale and for trade forum. I hope that they reply soon so that I can figure out why I can not post and I asked them if they could fix the problem so that I can post my first classified.

To be quite honest with the community, I really want the Grado RS-1i. I am not really interested in the Grado GS-1000i. I owned a pair of Grado RS-1 headphones years ago and I regret selling them to another Head-Fi member. They have the most unique Grado house sound that is just so perfect to my ears. They are so intimate and warm with sparkling trebles and deep, tight, punchy bass with a golden honey liquid mid range that is creamy smooth. I love the Grado RS-1i headphones! They are a masterpiece!

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
I do have an authorized Grado dealer in the next adjacent town next to mine. He does not stock Grado headphones for demo purposes. They are available by special order only.

I think that I will wind up selling my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones because I found out that it is much harder to convince someone who has a pair of Grado RS-1i, GS-1000i, or Sennheiser HD-650 with Cardas Headphone Replacement cable to do a trade when they expect to sell their headphones as well.

I sent a private message to Zanth and Jude asking them why I can not post a classified in the headphone for sale and for trade forum. I hope that they reply soon so that I can figure out why I can not post and I asked them if they could fix the problem so that I can post my first classified.

To be quite honest with the community, I really want the Grado RS-1i. I am not really interested in the Grado GS-1000i. I owned a pair of Grado RS-1 headphones years ago and I regret selling them to another Head-Fi member. They have the most unique Grado house sound that is just so perfect to my ears. They are so intimate and warm with sparkling trebles and deep, tight, punchy bass with a golden honey liquid mid range that is creamy smooth. I love the Grado RS-1i headphones! They are a masterpiece!

I'm on that gravy train too, as a certified Grado nutbag - I've got a pair of the RS1i on the way too - figured sooner or later, even if you already have 3 x current
 production Grados in the collection including the flagship - you have to own the RS1i's :)

At least you know what you want now - the W5000 is certainly a very good headphone that appeals to my tastes but I wonder if AT have sabotaged
 their flagship with the W3000ANV - from memory, the W5000 did not leave such a lasting impression - the 50th anniversary W3000 is very nice
 and balanced sounding for a high end woody - bass issues however remain, very much the one shade of impact - it's always been their weakness
 in my book.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 27
I got a private message from a reputable Head-Fi member who is female and she offered her Sennheiser HD-650 headphones and Moon Audio headphone replacement cable for my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones. I told her that I can't do the deal today as I will be seeing my best friend tonight to do some business with him, but I will certainly get back to her private message early next week. It looks to be a fair deal in my opinion. I am also highly interested in the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones with some sort of aftermarket replacement cable. Actually, they would sound more neutral and balanced than the Grado RS-1i albeit in a relaxed and more refined manner of enjoying the music.

I would rather do a trade than to sell my headphones. I just think that it will be easier for me. I'll go edit my earlier post to reflect this change in decision.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 27
The woman with whom I am about to do this trade is a member of Head-Fi with positive feedback from the community. She owns a pair of Grado RS-1i headphones and I proposed that we do a trade for my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones. She asked that I send my headphones to her first and then she will send my headphones to me after she receives delivery of mine. I know that this is a risk, but I am willing to take this risk because she has positive feedback in this community and she has been a member for quite some time. I really do want the Grado RS-1i headphones quite badly and I am willing to take this big risk. Hopefully, she will agree to my latest proposal and she will do her part to close this trade successfully. I realize that I am going to lose about $500.00 USD by doing this trade, but I just don't want to go through the process of selling my headphones to the community unless this deal goes south. I think that the Grado RS-1i headphones are closer to what I really want instead of the Sennheiser HD-650 with the Moon Audio Blue Dragon headphone replacement cable. I owned a pair of the original Grado RS-1 headphones years ago and I fell in love with their unique Grado house sound. I should have never sold them to another Head-Fi member years ago.

Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back