Should I Get an External Dac/Amp?
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Areyn

New Head-Fier
So I'm getting some V-Moda Crossfades soon with 32 Ω. At the moment I use my motherboard for sound and was wondering, would an external DAC/Amp like the E10k improve sound quality or clarity in any noticeable way? Or would it be a waste of money for such low Impedance headphones?

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 10
The V-Moda Crossfade are sensitive enough, an external DAC/Amp isn't really necessary unless your system has issues like noise for example.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 10
our headphones are quite sensitive meaning theyre meant to be driven directly from a mobile device.That being said an amp will not hurt.Typically you will get more overhead in volume and perhaps tighter,more impactful bass.

My suggestion is to see how you like it without an amp and go from there.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 10
So I'm getting some V-Moda Crossfades soon with 32 Ω. At the moment I use my motherboard for sound and was wondering, would an external DAC/Amp like the E10k improve sound quality or clarity in any noticeable way? Or would it be a waste of money for such low Impedance headphones?
Might help to know the make and model of the motherboard?
A $70-$100 USB-DAC/amp should help at least a little.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 10
You shouldn't need one unless you're getting distortion or static from your current setup. A better dac/amp has the potential to add some detail and tighten up the bass, as well as balance the sound a bit better, but your headphones dont need one at all. It would be a small improvement if anything, to add an E10k or Fulla 2. Like suggested, it's best to see how they perform from your sound card and maybe upgrade if you have extra money floating around.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 10
When I owned a V-MODA Crossfade LP, it sounded awful and pretty much the same whether I drove it from the headphone outputs of my laptop or a Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2. The M-100 sounds considerably better, so hopefully you're getting one of their better models. The impedance and sensitivity is roughly the same, so as long as your motherboard is decent, it should be fine, at least to start with. Also get the XL pads. (The stock pads are uncomfortable; painfully so for some.)

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the replies :)

Yeah I'm getting the Crossfade Wireless 2 and plan on using them wired when at my desktop (or wireless when convenient). They're pretty much the M100's with less bass and a little more balanced, though not entirely neutral.

My motherboard is a H97 Pro Gamer and from what i can see pretty standard sound "SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2". I get no distortion or audio issues when driving them through my motherboard, though I've never used a dac/amp before so i have no idea how much of a difference it could make in clarity or even soundstage. I'm using software atm to modify EQ setttings and from what I've heard, an external amp would do a better job at bass boost than any software will.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 10

Yeah I'm getting the Crossfade Wireless 2 and plan on using them wired when at my desktop (or wireless when convenient). They're pretty much the M100's with less bass and a little more balanced, though not entirely neutral.

My motherboard is a H97 Pro Gamer and from what i can see pretty standard sound "SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2". I get no distortion or audio issues when driving them through my motherboard, though I've never used a dac/amp before so i have no idea how much of a difference it could make in clarity or even soundstage. I'm using software atm to modify EQ setttings and from what I've heard, an external amp would do a better job at bass boost than any software will.

Generally, good gaming motherboards will have no issues. Stuff like a cheap laptop are more likely have issues. Even my iPad Pro has a pretty high noise floor but I've never had an issue with my motherboard, however, just make sure to plug it into the motherboard and not the extension on the PC case.

My personal rule of thumb is try it out with whatever system you have first, if it feels anemic, then you can get an amp later. No point in spending money you don't have too in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 10

External amps from reputable companies don't usually include "bass boost" features. The good thing is that you can just use a software EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back