Should I get an IEM or a full-sized can?
Feb 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers.

It's come to my attention that I may not actually be looking in the correct section for my 'perfect' headphones.
In other words, IEM vs Full-sized

I've went through a few cans that I initially liked, but after a little bit of listening, I feel have lost their luster.
These were:
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
Audio Technica ATH-M30 (I still do like these, but they seem to fail in comparison of similarly priced IEMs)

Now, I've had the Monoprice 8320 for a few months, and I still love them. I think they sound even better than the M30.
But, I've also thought that I may just be trying the wrong full-sized headphones. I'm looking for balanced sound. The only one that really sounded balanced to me was the M30.
I've not had too much experience with IEMs outside of $40 (none at all actually), so I can't really compare the sounds all too well.
I personally think IEMs are much more comfortable than full-sized headphones.

Anyways... ONTO my actual 'requirements'

I listen to a lot of electronic music, but my music tastes are basically everywhere. 
I want a balanced sound. No bass emphasis. 
I'd like it to be detailed. 
Must be portable. 
Detachable cable is a huge plus (I understand IEMs don't often have those, so I'm mainly referring to full-sized ones here, but detachable cable IEM would be great)
Soundstage is somewhat important. I can't stand things with no soundstage. (I think the 8323 has a very good soundstage, just for a reference point. It could be more depthy though)
Budget is around $200. 
Can only buy from Amazon

I've been told that the KRK KNS 8400 would be a good fit for me
I've also been looking at the VSonic GR07 (And 06 for something cheaper). I LOVE the tons of tips included.

Anything else? 

Help me out here, please :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 4
have u considered the Sennheiser IE80? They have a good separation, some (imo enough) bass, nice mids and really good soundstage for in-ears. unfortunately I don't know for how much they go at the moment 

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 4
have u considered the Sennheiser IE80? They have a good separation, some (imo enough) bass, nice mids and really good soundstage for in-ears. unfortunately I don't know for how much they go at the moment 

HEH. Those are wayy out of my price range. They're like $350, unfortunately.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 4
HEH. Those are wayy out of my price range. They're like $350, unfortunately.

OK that sucks! I personally would go for full size but that's just my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back