Should I get some HD201s?
Feb 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BPRJam

100+ Head-Fier
I'd primarily be using these on a plane, so moderate isolation is nice. I already have the HD280, and I like them. They're well powered out of my portable, they offer good isolation, and they sound pretty good. My only gripe is that they are bass-shy and bulky. I'm thinking about getting the HD201, but I'm concerned that people say they are not very efficient. I can't really take an amp on the plane. I've been questioned about my MINT by the TSA too many times for me to feel comfortable taking any of my amps on the plane anymore.

So, is the HD201 worth getting over the HD280 provided they won't be amped?

(Note: I don't like to "collect" headphones, so saying "They're only $20, get them and see what you think" isn't really an answer I'll pay any attention to.)

As a side note, (I'm hijaking my own thread here), has anyone compared the HD201 to the Phillips HP170? I kinda like the 170...

BPRJam

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 12
These don't provide any noise reduction.

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't think they will be significantly different from your HD280. The HD201 are also kind of bass shy, and I found they really do need an amp to bloom. Having said that, I love them.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree with what everyone here is saying...but I haven't heard anything get close to them for the same money. IEM are the only close alternative and most cost more...if you want headphones then this is the ticket in this price range. I too own the 201's and the 280's...very similar sonic signature.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexs
i guess bose quiet comfort 2 is the answer here

That seems like it should never be the answer.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
That seems like it should never be the answer.

That made me chuckle.

In any case, I know the limitations of active noise cancellation technology, and I even worked on some prototypes back in college for noise reduction when sleeping (e.g., drowning out your roomates, or a spouses snoring, etc.). Cheap noise reduction has nothing on passive noise reduction methods.

Well, sounds like I should stick with my HD280s. One day I might go for some IEMs, but right now I really don't see a need for them.

BPRJam

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 12
I agree with those who say skip it. The 201 isolates a lot less than your 280. You'll lose a little bit of bulk and weight, but you won't gain bass.

I agree with the recommendation of IEMs for plane travel. But the good ones do seem to start around $100. (It seems to me that for a while I was seeing Shure E2's for around $65, but it doesn't seem to be the case any more.)

But if you'd like a headphone instead, something bassy that is more portable than the 280, and not too expensive, then have a look at the ATH-FC7. This is portable, low-profile, and bassy. It doesn't isolate as much as the HD280, but it isolates a lot more than the HD201. Prices vary, check both AudioCubes (sponsor) and BlueTin.

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 12
IMHO HD201 phones suck so bad. My friend just bought a pair. Compared to hd202 they are lifeless and thin. Puny, bad bass.

This is my oppionion but I would avoid them.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Man, I don't know what kind of music the people listen to that say the HD201's don't have bass?
confused.gif
I like bass in my music and find the HD201's to have nice bass.
confused.gif
I would not recommend them for a flight though. I don't think they could isolate you enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back