Should I hear a difference between my old iPhone 3Gs and my Samsung GS3?
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
I did a comparo between the two, using my favorite Pink Floyd Album WYWH.  Needless to say, I know the album by heart.  I did an ab comparo, and really couldn't hear a difference.  On the iPhone, I used the stock player no EQ, and on the SGS3 I used PowerAmp with no EQ.  All I had to do was boost the Tone controls on the SGS3 about an 1/8 of a turn up, and I felt that the sound was very similar.  I've been told the 3Gs is one of the best players for SQ, and the SGS3 leaves something to be desired.  But if all it takes is adjusting the tone controls a little, to get better sound, why not.  The 3Gs had boosted bass and clear highs, and with the adjustment to the SGS3, the output was similar enough that I didn't mind using my SGS3 as a player.  I currently use my 3Gs in the truck to play tunes through my stereo, and use my SGS3 as a portable.

Are the negatives of the SGS3 easily overcome with a little tuning, or is it as bad as I've been led to believe, and I have tin ears?  All testing was done with Audio Technica CKS77 IEM's.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Are you using the international GS3 or the US GS3?  Based on your location in Alberta, I would guess international, which means your GS3 has a Wolfson DAC, so it should sound fantastic.  It would be no surprise to hear that it's comparable to the 3GS. 

It's the US variant of the GS3 that doesn't have the Wolfson DAC and is therefore said to sound inferior. 

Disclaimer: I have never listened to a GS3, but I have a GS2 (non-Wolfson), and the SQ is terrible. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 5
North American version should have a "Qualcomm" sticker on top of the device.

Under Setttings, About: It will display i9300 for the Quad Core Exynos, I-747 for the US ATT S3 and etc... Of course there are many other ways to distinguish, but those are the two obvious I can think off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back