Should I worry about my purchase?
Nov 24, 2012 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FusionMK

New Head-Fier
I was lucky enough to nab the Audio-Technica M50 today for $100.  I will admit, I was in the need for some actual, (relatively more) audiophile headphones than the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b noise-cancelling headphones I currently have, and with it being Black Friday and all, I jumped at the deal and made an instinctive purchase.

However, I am starting to regret it a bit.

I am a decently large basshead, listening to my Electronica using Dolby Mobile to get that crazy bass punch (which happens also to shake your head until you're dizzy).  As it turns out, I'm getting a new phone as well, one that won't offer the Dolby Mobile EQ to satisfy my spontaneous basshead cravings.  As a result, I guess that I'm looking for clear, bassy headphones that can be used in a portable fashion.  I run my headphones unamped with my phone, which provides a lot of juice that can make most headphones dangerously loud.

My problem is that, because of my fear of price fluctuations, I never checked any competitors nor reviews, simply relying on my past experience with Head-Fi and the tens of hundreds of reviews lauding the M50 before it was rendered to be more neutral in a design update.  However, I have a feeling that for bassheads like myself, the Ultrasone HFI-580 may have been better suited for my musical tastes, with clearer bass and more refined soundstage.  The price difference is $50 however, which means that the HFI-580 is 150% the price of the M50.

I can always cancel the order, and will do so if I feel justified.  I'm just wondering, at the price point that I got it at, should I stay with the M50s or shell out an extra $50 for the HFI-580s?

Thanks,

Andrew, the OCD King

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Get out while you still can.
biggrin.gif

Having owned the M50 I can say it will not satisfy your bass cravings.

I'm hoping that I can get a nice EQ for my phone.

Desire HD had Dolby Mobile, bassed up my HD 448s, which I found out had a virtually non-existent lower range.  I don't know for the Samsung Galaxy SIII, if it has a comparative EQ.  If it does, then I don't care about bass response anymore
L3000.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 6
One thing is for sure it will sound significantly better than the anc7b. I found those to be a poor sounding HP.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Okay, I officially have 12 hours to choose between the M50s or the HFI-580s.  I will mainly use them for home listening, so portability/isolation isn't a must (but it will be driven by a mobile music player and have a decent amount of isolation for when I do journey outside).  It seems that the M50s are a bit more durable and look a bit better than the HFI-580s.  However, the bass on the HFI-580s seems to be a bit tighter and more pronounced.

Opinions?

My ranking of priorities:

• Clear, noticible bass
  • Sound quality over other frequencies
  • Durability
  • Looks
  • Isolation
  • Portability

Users who are viewing this thread

Back