Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 8, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #32,761 of 41,148
Just curious - what's customized on your Denafrips Terminator?
He has a buddy in Customs that made sure it slipped through without him paying tax on it :D

May 8, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #32,762 of 41,148
I read an article that said that they couldn't, for some reason, make 1080p work with the plasma screens. And that was the end of plasma. Maybe it just wasn't cost effective.
Sorry to contradict you, but that's not accurate. My 2nd plasma is one of the last top-model Panasonic Viera's to be made. It's full 1080p.

And the 42" and 60" Kuro models that came just after mine were both 1080p (and fabulous looking).

What plasma could not do, however, was scale up to deliver a 4K picture. It just wasn't feasible on technical grounds. And that's too bad, because in my experience, plasma has an organic, smooth, relaxed way of delivering original high-def content (regardless of how detailed you set it to be) that LED/LCD screens just couldn't match.

OLED is a different kind of wonderful. My 77" LG C8 continues to amaze. While it's not quite as relaxed and organic as plasma, the colors and black level, both on native 4K content and upscaled 1K content, are truly spectacular. And it's still far more relaxed and organic than any 4K LED/LCD I've seen.

When my 50" Panny finally bites the biscuit, I'll have to replace it w/a 4K LED/LCD--I can't use an OLED for the cable sports and news content we watch on that 50" screen (it would probably cause ineradicable burn-in).

May 8, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #32,763 of 41,148
I have a Panasonic TC-P55ST30 in my family room that I bought ten years ago. It's 1080P and 3D. Never used that but it still has a great picture. There's a 42 inch Hitachi plasma tv in my bedroom that is from 2008. The picture on that is still good. I think the reason that they stopped making plasmas is that there wasn't enough of a profit margin on them.

May 8, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #32,765 of 41,148
Sorry to contradict you, but that's not accurate. My 2nd plasma is one of the last top-model Panasonic Viera's to be made. It's full 1080p.

And the 42" and 60" Kuro models that came just after mine were both 1080p (and fabulous looking).

What plasma could not do, however, was scale up to deliver a 4K picture. It just wasn't feasible on technical grounds. And that's too bad, because in my experience, plasma has an organic, smooth, relaxed way of delivering original high-def content (regardless of how detailed you set it to be) that LED/LCD screens just couldn't match.

OLED is a different kind of wonderful. My 77" LG C8 continues to amaze. While it's not quite as relaxed and organic as plasma, the colors and black level, both on native 4K content and upscaled 1K content, are truly spectacular. And it's still far more relaxed and organic than any 4K LED/LCD I've seen.

When my 50" Panny finally bites the biscuit, I'll have to replace it w/a 4K LED/LCD--I can't use an OLED for the cable sports and news content we watch on that 50" screen (it would probably cause ineradicable burn-in).
Yes, as I noted earlier, 4K was the big problem for plasma's. I still enjoy my old plasma (720p) although I rarely watch TV in the bedroom anymore. If it was a smart TV I would have it in the living room.

May 8, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #32,766 of 41,148
Yes, as I noted earlier, 4K was the big problem for plasma's. I still enjoy my old plasma (720p) although I rarely watch TV in the bedroom anymore. If it was a smart TV I would have it in the living room.
Sorry--posted my comments before I saw your 2nd post about it.

Nice to meet another plasma-appreciator!

May 8, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #32,767 of 41,148
Sorry--posted my comments before I saw your 2nd post about it.

Nice to meet another plasma-appreciator!
Now that we're talking about them I wish I had a 1080p.:smiley:

May 8, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #32,768 of 41,148
It has all pure silver wiring, upgraded capacitors and the main power supply ✌️
Did Denafrips do it, or done by yourself or a 3rd party? Inquiring minds want to know!

May 8, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #32,769 of 41,148
3DE01F8B-2452-4315-A921-778F00E0C977.jpeg

.…for a while, then….[clue: Latin word for ‘entrance hall’]

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #32,770 of 41,148

It's kinda sad... when they killed plasma, it left all TV enthusiasts holding their breath that their TVs wouldn't break until OLED was finally proven. The 5+ years between plasma and OLED was a dark time. I had a 59" samsung 1080p plasma and still use a 42" panasonic 1080p in the bedroom. The powerboard died on the samsung after 10 years of ownership and decided to replace the TV. Ended up getting a LG CX OLED and did auto-calibration on it. It is an amazing TV and blows the plasmas I had out of the water. I have never seen a Kuro in person, but they were the gold standard for TVs for a very long time. I could never find one when I was searching for a TV.

Also, why are we still making LCD based TVs? They are basically releasing new versions of LCD TVs that have technology in them that tries to sort out their problems rather than making a stellar picture.

May 9, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #32,771 of 41,148
52061155189_6e2e2e573c_k.jpg

moved the study table and short drawer out of the room, and shifted the rig to the corner. I really wanted to have everything tucked in nicely behind the rack, but many thick and unwieldy power cables and interconnects prevented that..

was thinking of changing the AQ1200 to a 3000 or maybe a Puritan block but realized I just don't have the real estate.. well, short of adding another level to the rack.. hmmm

May 9, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #32,773 of 41,148
Well you have some classics there :) Welcome abroad!

May 9, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #32,774 of 41,148
Is that a Kuro?

My first high-def TV was a 720p 42" Kuro. Still have it; the picture is still terrific looking. At that time nothing else came close to plasma IMHO.

To this day the Kuro occasionally pops up in video reviews as a comparator (from the old days) to some newbie OLED or QLED design.

Yes, those old plasma 720p 42” still look good! They quit making them due to cost, not enough profit for manufacturers. I also have a 42” 1080p plasma that I will keep forever!

I agree, the picture on these were fantastic

May 9, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #32,775 of 41,148
52061155189_6e2e2e573c_k.jpg

moved the study table and short drawer out of the room, and shifted the rig to the corner. I really wanted to have everything tucked in nicely behind the rack, but many thick and unwieldy power cables and interconnects prevented that..

was thinking of changing the AQ1200 to a 3000 or maybe a Puritan block but realized I just don't have the real estate.. well, short of adding another level to the rack.. hmmm
Very nice! Where is the comfy seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back