Shure 846 help/upgrade
Jul 22, 2020 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Inearwilly

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a Shure 846 in the hopes to get a big upgrade from the shure 215 i owned for a couple of years. I was happy with them but I looked for a big improvement in sound.

I drive my shures via Samsung S7 and Fiio X3. (with Flac/wav/320kbps files)

When the 846 arrived I was very dissapointed. There wasn't the 'wow' factor I was looking for.

I tried all filters and tips that came with it and they did not really change that much...

I listened to them alot but I come to the conclusion that they are just about 15% better than my shure 215's and that's just ridiculous given the price of up to 900 bucks for the 846s.

My question is:

Is the fiio x3 not good enough to drive the shure 846s, so should i upgrade to something higher like fiio m11 or is the sound difference not worth it?

I think I need another In-Ear.

I almost exclusively listen to Hip-Hop and Dubstep, but sometimes also to Raggae and Pop.

I love bass and the shure 846 did not quite have enough of it to my liking.

A little bit more and a little deeper bass would be great even though I know the 846s are already supposed to have alot bass in general.

I was looking at the campfire atlas/ solaris or 64audio ut12. (Even though I would like to avoid buying them for their crazy price)

I am looking for a comfortable IEM which I can wear anywhere and not just at home.

So if the Solaris are an option I would take the smaller 2020 version

I am looking to get the 'WOW' factor when listening to music, just like i got the 'WOW' factor when switching from cheap 20$ in ears to the shure 215 and using the fiio x3.

I know of the law of diminishing returns but I just can't believe that the Shure 846 is worth it's price. People saying it's worth 1K is just unbelievable to me, but maybe that's just because the fiio x3 is too weak?

Please help me out 😊

Thank you!!!

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 30
I think the problem is that to a large extent a lot of other IEM companies have caught up with and even surpassed the Shure 846. I bought a pair of these and sold them after a few months because they just didn’t give me the feel I wanted. They are good, but there is just more choice now and sound technology keeps moving forward.

I tried out the Campfire Solaris, and they certainly had the wow factor. I recall listening to them with my Shure 846 sitting next to me. Pumping bass and big highs is what I recall, and I think I did actually say wow. The problem for me though was that after about 10 minutes I was feeling a bit fatigued. I found them to be really full on and in your face, and although they did definitely make an impression, I thought they were too lively for me personally. Definitely worth an audition though as they may fit the bill for what you want.

You mentioned the 64 Audio U12 as a contender. After I’d tried the Solaris I then tried the 64 Audio Trio. This had everything I wanted, quality bass, smooth highs, nice layered mids and a good soundstage. I went ahead and bought them and I’ve not been disappointed. They are not the same as the U12 but they are similar’ish. There is also the new IEM from 64 Audio called the Nio which may suit you. It only recently launched though and so still commands full price. The U12 and Trio though can be picked up here for good second hand prices.

You mentioned your music tastes and possibly an IEM you would like is the Empire Ears Legend X. For genres like Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Garage, EDM and Reggae it is superb. It is known as the king of bass and I can tell you it does not disappoint. The price new is quite hefty but you can pick them up on the classifieds here every so often at a good used price. That is how I got mine.

Anyway, I hope that is of some use to you.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 30
I think the problem is that to a large extent a lot of other IEM companies have caught up with and even surpassed the Shure 846. I bought a pair of these and sold them after a few months because they just didn’t give me the feel I wanted. They are good, but there is just more choice now and sound technology keeps moving forward.

I tried out the Campfire Solaris, and they certainly had the wow factor. I recall listening to them with my Shure 846 sitting next to me. Pumping bass and big highs is what I recall, and I think I did actually say wow. The problem for me though was that after about 10 minutes I was feeling a bit fatigued. I found them to be really full on and in your face, and although they did definitely make an impression, I thought they were too lively for me personally. Definitely worth an audition though as they may fit the bill for what you want.

You mentioned the 64 Audio U12 as a contender. After I’d tried the Solaris I then tried the 64 Audio Trio. This had everything I wanted, quality bass, smooth highs, nice layered mids and a good soundstage. I went ahead and bought them and I’ve not been disappointed. They are not the same as the U12 but they are similar’ish. There is also the new IEM from 64 Audio called the Nio which may suit you. It only recently launched though and so still commands full price. The U12 and Trio though can be picked up here for good second hand prices.

You mentioned your music tastes and possibly an IEM you would like is the Empire Ears Legend X. For genres like Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Garage, EDM and Reggae it is superb. It is known as the king of bass and I can tell you it does not disappoint. The price new is quite hefty but you can pick them up on the classifieds here every so often at a good used price. That is how I got mine.

Anyway, I hope that is of some use to you.

Hi, Thank you so much for your answer, I thought nobody would reply 😂.

Did you try the u12t? And what is the difference compared to the the trio?

I also had the legend x in mind but the price is insane and I don't want to blind buy them.

I could try them though travelling across the country and I think I will!

What do you think about driving the shures via the fiio x3?

Was it enough power to see the potential of the 846s?

Thank you very much!

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 30
I almost exclusively listen to Hip-Hop and Dubstep, but sometimes also to Raggae and Pop.

I love bass and the shure 846 did not quite have enough of it to my liking.
Those are KEY statements right there. You need an IEM with a dynamic driver. I recommend avoiding all-BA IEMs if primarily listening to those genres. I really like my se846, and while the bass is of very good quality, and quite a lot for BA bass, it cannot produce bass like a DD can. Nowadays, you can get an amazing DD or hybrid IEM for much much less than the se846, but it depends on what your priorities are. What other IEMs have you listened to? Can you list any IEM, headphone, or speaker sound signatures that you like a lot?

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 30
What are your midrange and treble preferences?
How much isolation do you need and what tips did you use with you 215?
I think you would be very impressed with just the $30 Jade Audio EA1.

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 30
Hi, Thank you so much for your answer, I thought nobody would reply 😂.

Did you try the u12t? And what is the difference compared to the the trio?

I also had the legend x in mind but the price is insane and I don't want to blind buy them.

I could try them though travelling across the country and I think I will!

What do you think about driving the shures via the fiio x3?

Was it enough power to see the potential of the 846s?

Thank you very much!
The Trio is a DD whereas I believe the U12t is a BA. I didn’t spend any real time with the U12t so it’s probably not fair for me to compare the two. I am aware though that the U12t is highly regarded.

I did blind buy the Legend X. I read lots of reviews and also read discussions here about it. It is a highly revered IEM and when one came up here on the classifieds in great condition, and at a really good price, I jumped on it.

I’ve never listened to the Fiio x3. I don’t recall the 846 being hard to drive though. I used them with an iPhone 6 and they were fine. I then used them with the Chord Mojo (and that thing could power a nuclear reactor) and I don’t recall any significant difference in what I was hearing. It was better with the Mojo but it was not night and day.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 30
What are your midrange and treble preferences?
How much isolation do you need and what tips did you use with you 215?
I think you would be very impressed with just the $30 Jade Audio EA1.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Thanks for the DD suggestion I think that is very important, I need a Dynamic Driver IEM.

Unfortunately I don't quite get the concept of how to describe mids so I can't comment on that 😂.

The treble should be laid back.

Present but not annoying and peaky.

A bit more treble than the 846 would be good!

I used the medium sized comply foam tips on the SE215.

Apart from the SE215 I have not listened to any higher end iems just some cheap panasonic / sony ones which I don't know the name of.

I also had the bose qc15 but the noise cancellation sound was annoying and the overall sound was ok but nothing special to my ears.

I had the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 for a couple of days but they also did not satisfy me, but I only had an Iphone 4 at the time and I think it did not bring out the best of the 1770 since I had to listen at the volume turned up fully to get a normal volume.

I need a lot of isolation and comfort, I use them on the public transport and sometimes at the gym.

I am looking for the best I can get and it's hard for me to believe the Jade EA1 will do the job 🤔

My eyes are on the LEGEND X right now.

And second contender would be the Campfire Atlas.

Do you have any other recommendations in that area?

Thank you

Sounds like a dream

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 30
The Trio is a DD whereas I believe the U12t is a BA. I didn’t spend any real time with the U12t so it’s probably not fair for me to compare the two. I am aware though that the U12t is highly regarded.

I did blind buy the Legend X. I read lots of reviews and also read discussions here about it. It is a highly revered IEM and when one came up here on the classifieds in great condition, and at a really good price, I jumped on it.

I’ve never listened to the Fiio x3. I don’t recall the 846 being hard to drive though. I used them with an iPhone 6 and they were fine. I then used them with the Chord Mojo (and that thing could power a nuclear reactor) and I don’t recall any significant difference in what I was hearing. It was better with the Mojo but it was not night and day.

Hi, i read alot about the legend x and they seem to be the perfect IEM for me.

But sometimes I read that they are hard to listen to for a longer period of time.

Is that true in your case?

Also do they stay in your ear when you are at the gym for example?

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 30
I’ve listened to the Legend X for hours at a time with no fatigue. I work from home (like many people now) and so I have music on for a good part of the working day. I don’t have them blaring, just a comfortable volume while I work. Although they are known for bass they are actually more than that. They are TOTL and also produce good mids & highs. They are definitely on the warmer side and so you do not get a flat response or anything piercing.

You can alter the sound & bass impact a little by using different ear tips, different cables and different DAPs (like you can with most IEMs).

My LX and Trio never leave the house. When I go to the gym I use my Billie Jean IEM with an iPhone 6.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 30
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Thanks for the DD suggestion I think that is very important, I need a Dynamic Driver IEM.

Unfortunately I don't quite get the concept of how to describe mids so I can't comment on that 😂.

The treble should be laid back.

Present but not annoying and peaky.

A bit more treble than the 846 would be good!

I used the medium sized comply foam tips on the SE215.

Apart from the SE215 I have not listened to any higher end iems just some cheap panasonic / sony ones which I don't know the name of.

I also had the bose qc15 but the noise cancellation sound was annoying and the overall sound was ok but nothing special to my ears.

I had the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 for a couple of days but they also did not satisfy me, but I only had an Iphone 4 at the time and I think it did not bring out the best of the 1770 since I had to listen at the volume turned up fully to get a normal volume.

I need a lot of isolation and comfort, I use them on the public transport and sometimes at the gym.

I am looking for the best I can get and it's hard for me to believe the Jade EA1 will do the job 🤔

My eyes are on the LEGEND X right now.

And second contender would be the Campfire Atlas.

Do you have any other recommendations in that area?

Thank you

Sounds like a dream
You would be suprised at the quality of sound that one can get for VERY affordable prices now. The law of diminishing returns has never been as significant as it it now. Now, the Legend X is, well, a legend, and is still untouched as a premier bass head IEM (it does more than just bass well, but that is it’s claim to fame), but to go from the 215 straight to the EE LX is just an incredibly massive jump. I can’t imagine roaming about, let alone going to the gym, while using the EE LX. That would be like off-roading with your Maybach sedan.

Probably, my number one recommendation for you right now, would be the iBasso IT00. The tuning is very similar to the se215 SPE, but it is probably significantly superior in all aspects other than perhaps noise isolation (since that is Shure’s forte). For more information on the IT00:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...s-with-one-purpose-to-enjoy-the-music.934980/

I think you will be very satisfied with the IT00. Then, take your time and research/listen to several TOTL IEMs if you want to make a jump to that level. Me personally, I have my eyes set on the 64 Audio Nio or the Sony IER-Z1R.

The Jade Audio EA1 would be something nice to get for variety, and if you destroy it while at the gym, you would not be devastated.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 30
You would be suprised at the quality of sound that one can get for VERY affordable prices now. The law of diminishing returns has never been as significant as it it now. Now, the Legend X is, well, a legend, and is still untouched as a premier bass head IEM (it does more than just bass well, but that is it’s claim to fame), but to go from the 215 straight to the EE LX is just an incredibly massive jump. I can’t imagine roaming about, let alone going to the gym, while using the EE LX. That would be like off-roading with your Maybach sedan.

Probably, my number one recommendation for you right now, would be the iBasso IT00. The tuning is very similar to the se215 SPE, but it is probably significantly superior in all aspects other than perhaps noise isolation (since that is Shure’s forte). For more information on the IT00:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...s-with-one-purpose-to-enjoy-the-music.934980/

I think you will be very satisfied with the IT00. Then, take your time and research/listen to several TOTL IEMs if you want to make a jump to that level. Me personally, I have my eyes set on the 64 Audio Nio or the Sony IER-Z1R.

The Jade Audio EA1 would be something nice to get for variety, and if you destroy it while at the gym, you would not be devastated.
Hi, thank you for your answer.

I will try and look for the ibasso and other cheaper models. Do you know a website where you can return headphones after you tried them?

I think I'd be crazy enough yo wear the legend x anywhere :D

Did you try the campfire atlas?

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 30
Hi, thank you for your answer.

I will try and look for the ibasso and other cheaper models. Do you know a website where you can return headphones after you tried them?

I think I'd be crazy enough yo wear the legend x anywhere :D

Did you try the campfire atlas?
Sorry, I’m not sure where best to get IEMs in Germany, with a good return policy, but I’m sure many other members do. Just try posting on another relevant thread.

I haven’t personally heard the Atlas. Tuning wise, the CA Atlas seems very similar to the Beyerdynamic Xelento, but reportedly they sound quite different. I think the Xelento would be a great IEM for you to try, if you can find it locally.

Just for the record, I’m not trying to steer you away from anything in particular, I just would want you to be able to get the best IEM for your tastes and for your money. BTW, are you able to return the se846?

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 30
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 30
Sorry, I’m not sure where best to get IEMs in Germany, with a good return policy, but I’m sure many other members do. Just try posting on another relevant thread.

I haven’t personally heard the Atlas. Tuning wise, the CA Atlas seems very similar to the Beyerdynamic Xelento, but reportedly they sound quite different. I think the Xelento would be a great IEM for you to try, if you can find it locally.

Just for the record, I’m not trying to steer you away from anything in particular, I just would want you to be able to get the best IEM for your tastes and for your money. BTW, are you able to return the se846?
Hi, thank you for the recommendation on the xelento I also had them in mind but they rarely ranked on the top list of the many reviews I read.

I will go to a store and there you can try all the gear from 64 audio campfire audio Empire ears and much more.

I looked at some reviews of the Ibasso it00 and they look promising. Maybe I will blindbuy a cheaper IEM set to compare them to the expensive models :)

Also I'm looking for a DAP to pair well with IEMS in general.

I got my eyes on the Fiio M11 Pro.

Do you think that's a good DAP in general or can you make a recommendation only based on a specific IEM?

Unfortunately I can't return the SE 846 so I need to sell them.

Just listened to them again and they are just meh.

Worth 300$ max IMO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back