Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #481 of 6,082

Moon Audio is showing mid-November.

Also, here is a post from @Marshall Banana who listened to it at the Tokyo Headphone Festival:

1. Marshal Banana -The Shure KSE1500 let me just speachless. It's a significant improvement from every other hiigh end IEM out there, period.
 ​
(Above) @Marshall Banana listening to Shure KSE1500. (Photo by @Currawong)

it already sounds like an super enhanced electrostatic(don't know what to.call it)piece of recording therefore the efect was there with lets say AK100ii, no extra amp.or dac.
So my point is, if a not so amazing recording sounds better than other equipment on these new Shures, then thats another matter perhaps worth considering splashing over 2k for:beers::wink:

Jude/Marshal-   Any response to soundblast75 comments?

I'm on the fence about this currently - so any views from people who have heard these as well as many top tier IEMs would be appreciated. Thanks

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #482 of 6,082
After reading all these pages, I will be skipping til the next version.  I agree that the amp/DAC seems a little outdated, only going up to 96/24, no DoP (AFAIK) for DSD.  Most DACs nowadays can do at least 192/24 + DSD256.

My suggestions are:
1) Either a) have an amp-only option, or b) more modern DAC
2) Detachable cable between the amp and the IEM. 

For 1 b) since Chord's Mojo is getting so many rave comments, may be they should have a joint venture to develop a module just for this IEM. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #483 of 6,082
I actually think 24/96 is enough in use. !92 is usually not the limiting factor in portable but the need to convert files to play digitally is a bit off putting. Of course analog through solves that issue for me but I'm not a carry a brick sort of guy. I think this will be a great device for live sound recording, home use and for those that are willing to brick it. I just have this image of a 1/2" thick amp stuck to a similarly sized ak100 sans case, dig out and still fitting in a pocket.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #484 of 6,082
I don't view the attached cable as a deal breaker for this IEM. Sure, many IEMs nowadays come with detachable cables, but none that I know of are using a cable that's the first of its kind. As Jude mentioned in the video, this cable was specifically designed to handle the needs of an e-stat. It makes sense that Shure would deny aftermarket cables for their brand new offering. Plus, designing a detachable cable would most likely require a new or modified type of connector and that would only add to the cost. Maybe we'll see a detachable cable in a future revision/new model, and if it's a requirement for you then waiting is the only option.

As for the DAC's 24/96 limitation, I can see that not being enough for some listeners. For me, it's a non-issue. I imagine that a $2,999 system wouldn't be designed without testing various DACs and how they sound once implemented into the amp. Shure chose the DAC for a reason. If you do need/want a higher resolution DAC then you can simply add one in front of the amp and call it a day. Grab your DAP/source of choice and run line-out into the KSE1500's amp. Easy peasy.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #485 of 6,082
  I actually think 24/96 is enough in use. !92 is usually not the limiting factor in portable but the need to convert files to play digitally is a bit off putting. Of course analog through solves that issue for me but I'm not a carry a brick sort of guy. I think this will be a great device for live sound recording, home use and for those that are willing to brick it. I just have this image of a 1/2" thick amp stuck to a similarly sized ak100 sans case, dig out and still fitting in a pocket.

I think shure envisioned that most of these will be stacked with a phone. It says made for iphone, etc., and there's an iphone in the ad. Probably not by happenstance, since apple users spend more money on average.

So, maybe the form factor is made with idevices in mind, many of which it will fit nicely (though not the iphone 6). I wonder if when the iphone 6 was revealed this thing was in a too advanced stage of development to change the form factor without delaying the launch too much.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #486 of 6,082
I agree about the DAC. On a $4K product, you shouldn't have to daisy chain devices to get DSD, etc.

It makes you scratch your head a bit.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #487 of 6,082
I agree about the DAC. On a $4K product, you shouldn't have to daisy chain devices to get DSD, etc.

It makes you scratch your head a bit.

Having said that most people buying this are OC anyway so it means anything short of SOTA in dacs are not going to satisfy anyway - Shure might as well stick to phones...

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #488 of 6,082

I think shure envisioned that most of these will be stacked with a phone. It says made for iphone, etc., and there's an iphone in the ad. Probably not by happenstance, since apple users spend more money on average.

So, maybe the form factor is made with idevices in mind, many of which it will fit nicely (though not the iphone 6). I wonder if when the iphone 6 was revealed this thing was in a too advanced stage of development to change the form factor without delaying the launch too much.

If so, I think it's a bit self defeating and market limiting. The market is admittedly small for a $3k IEM plus amp combo. Price needs to be high to make it viable for Shure but that's high enough to up the ante and also cost effective as it will bring enough more customers to amortize the R&D and production cost increases.While I may at some point buy it anyway, I think they cut the baby in half on this one.by not accommodating all formats or alternately making the amp smaller and analog only to skirt the dig format issue altogether.That said, goodness trumps all and why it's still a consideration.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #490 of 6,082
  For those that are in Australia the kse1500 RRP is $5299!!!, I call it extortion.

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system

Yep, that is a bit steep - the exchange rate does not help though. That said, i was expecting a sub $5000 price...

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #491 of 6,082
  For those that are in Australia the kse1500 RRP is $5299!!!, I call it extortion.

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system

sounds like a great system to bring with you to Australia in your suitcase (a few perhaps) and sell to pay for the trip :wink:  I love that it plugs direct into iPhone giving you the best of both worlds, audio of course as well as music collection organization and control.  I have to seriously consider this piece of kit and will def be interested in seeing where it goes from here.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #492 of 6,082
... i also appreciate that by this being a single electro-stat driver it should offer a much more coherent sound than the many 10+ driver iems otherwise on top.  for the price though i do agree it would be nice to see it with a better battery life and a better dac.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #494 of 6,082
  I don't view the attached cable as a deal breaker for this IEM. Sure, many IEMs nowadays come with detachable cables, but none that I know of are using a cable that's the first of its kind. As Jude mentioned in the video, this cable was specifically designed to handle the needs of an e-stat. It makes sense that Shure would deny aftermarket cables for their brand new offering. Plus, designing a detachable cable would most likely require a new or modified type of connector and that would only add to the cost. Maybe we'll see a detachable cable in a future revision/new model, and if it's a requirement for you then waiting is the only option.

As for the DAC's 24/96 limitation, I can see that not being enough for some listeners. For me, it's a non-issue. I imagine that a $2,999 system wouldn't be designed without testing various DACs and how they sound once implemented into the amp. Shure chose the DAC for a reason. If you do need/want a higher resolution DAC then you can simply add one in front of the amp and call it a day. Grab your DAP/source of choice and run line-out into the KSE1500's amp. Easy peasy.

mmmm......+1 however, as some have already pointed out the detachable cable makes it much easier to replace the stock cable in case it malfunctions. Think of the hassle of sending back your entire unit to Shure through your dealer  just to have the cable replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back