Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #422 of 6,081
Can Shure KSE1500 be connected directly to any music player via the headphone jack?
That will be great,just a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable required.
So does the DAC has a input like auxiliar?

Have a look at this image, posted before.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #423 of 6,081
Hi, this site is advertising them for £2129 which I thought was not bad!

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/media-conversion-equipment/shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bqxGIAkjFG4K0aGVxcTD1cNK8m2QbrVvOz4QD2FmXccgaAlmS8P8HAQ

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #425 of 6,081

The Mojo was fresh out of the box and initially the music sounded a bit narrow, congested and dull from it, very noticeable on the Laylas and the KSE1500 rig. I verified my thoughts about this Saturday before leaving it on overnight playing music. It sounded much better on Sunday morning after that. The AK380 was Jude's and well-used, and sounded much better than the non-burned in Mojo to something like the same degree that the Mojo sounded better (IMO as always) after having been used for a few days. I didn't go into specifics as (which you can see in Anakchan's pictures) I was sitting on the floor of the lobby at the show because my feet hurt at the end of Saturday. 

Thoughts on burned in Mojo vs 380?

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #427 of 6,081
I'm obviously never going to have these, but i think the price is completely fair, considering the already over the top prices in the industry. I think i speak for a lot of people when i say that i don't mind seeing high prices that are associated with innovation and engineering advancement. No, i don't mean shoving more and more drivers in each earpiece.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #428 of 6,081

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/media-conversion-equipment/shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bqxGIAkjFG4K0aGVxcTD1cNK8m2QbrVvOz4QD2FmXccgaAlmS8P8HAQ

I think I would like to listen to it first before I call it a good price, anyone remember Ultrasone Edition 10?  Need I say anymore? 

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #429 of 6,081

Yes, that's a good site.  I bought a Sennheiser HD600 from it a couple of weeks ago for £211.  No problem with the delivery.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #430 of 6,081
  @Jude and @Currawong

I know you are both very busy, but any word on the sub-bass extension of these earphones would be much appreciated. Just how deep do they reach when the music calls for it?

I'm so looking forward to hearing these myself sometime! But, until then, please let us know about the sub-bass, thanks!

@Kunlun, one of my reference albums is Stravinsky's The Firebird (Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra; Reference Recordings), and in that recording there's a lot of energy way down low and way up high (and everywhere in between). (How Keith Johnson from Reference Recordings captures what he does is something I hope to witness some day.)

The presence of low bass--even the physicality (to the rather limited extent that one can reasonably expect from an in-ear)--is very present with the KSE1500. On the other end, there is excellent extension, to my ears, and a lot of natural shimmer. It doesn't quite have the level of sparkle up top that the SR009 gives me, but it's top-tier.

I've confirmed this with a lot of different music now.

In fact, at the Tokyo headphone festival, one of the audio engineers (not for Shure) who gave it an extended listen called it simply "incredible." Another audio company executive I let listen to it at lunch said it was one of the best headphones of any type he'd ever heard.

I will say this: The KSE1500 is, bar none, the best in-ear headphone I've ever heard. It sounds like a high-end electrostatic system to me, and there aren't too many headphones I'd take it out of my ears for. In fact, I'd agree with my lunch mate and say the KSE1500 is one of the best sounding headphones out there right now, period, in my very emphatic opinion.

My main gripe right now is that they sound so fantastic with the foam tips (Shure "olive" type); but, as a guy who's used to custom IEMs, foam tips are a bit of a chore to use. I tried my Westone UM55 custom tips on the KSE1500, and the sibilance region was spotlit. The UM55 tips work great on my Westone univerals, but just didn't pair well with the KSE1500. @fzman said his Sensaphonics soft-gel silicone custom sleeves for the SE846 worked well with the KSE1500 (which I've since re-confirmed with him via PM), so I'll be getting a pair of those to try soon, and will report back with my opinions of them.

If nothing else works, though, then the KSE1500 is the one earphone I'd deal with foamies for.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #431 of 6,081

@Kunlun, one of my reference albums is Stravinsky's The Firebird (Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra; Reference Recordings), and in that recording there's a lot of energy way down low and way up high (and everywhere in between). (How Keith Johnson from Reference Recordings captures what he does is something I hope to witness some day.)

The presence of low bass--even the physicality (to the rather limited extent that one can reasonably expect from an in-ear)--is very present with the KSE1500. On the other end, there is excellent extension, to my ears, and a lot of natural shimmer. It doesn't quite have the level of sparkle up top that the SR009 gives me, but it's top-tier.

I've confirmed this with a lot of different music now.

In fact, at the Tokyo headphone festival, one of the audio engineers (not for Shure) who gave it an extended listen called it simply "incredible." Another audio company executive I let listen to it at lunch said it was one of the best headphones of any type he'd ever heard.

I will say this: The KSE1500 is, bar none, the best in-ear headphone I've ever heard. It sounds like a high-end electrostatic system to me, and there aren't too many headphones I'd take it out of my ears for. In fact, I'd agree with my lunch mate and say the KSE1500 is one of the best sounding headphones out there right now, period, in my very emphatic opinion.

My main gripe right now is that they sound so fantastic with the foam tips (Shure "olive" type); but, as a guy who's used to custom IEMs, foam tips are a bit of a chore to use. I tried my Westone UM55 custom tips on the KSE1500, and the sibilance region was spotlit. The UM55 tips work great on my Westone univerals, but just didn't pair well with the KSE1500. @fzman said his Sensaphonics soft-gel silicone custom sleeves for the SE846 worked well with the KSE1500 (which I've since re-confirmed with him via PM), so I'll be getting a pair of those to try soon, and will report back with my opinions of them.

If nothing else works, though, then the KSE1500 is the one earphone I'd deal with foamies for.

Why, Shure? Why are you doing this to my economy!? You're a monster :D

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #432 of 6,081
@Jude

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with such helpful and detailed impressions!

I appreciate it and now I look forward even more to hearing these earphones with a set of Sensaphonics custom-fit silicone sleeves!

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #433 of 6,081
  (How Keith Johnson from Reference Recordings captures what he does is something I hope to witness some day.)

If that is Keith Johnson of Spectral Audio I can well believe his amazing work, you should try Spectral Audio home system and you will be amazed. Once you have a Spectral Audio’s home CD / Pre / Power amps nothing else will do, I am lucky to have Spectral Audio at home.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #434 of 6,081
Oct 29, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #435 of 6,081
Ugh! 
angry_face.gif
 just when I thought I could move on. 

Interest restored. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back