Shure SE535, or something else?
Jun 15, 2020 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jaysound

100+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to Tidal Hi-Def downloads on an Android Samsung S9 phone, mostly classic and soft rock. I've always only used IEMs. A few years ago I went to Bluetooth since exercise is my main usage, and now I'm looking for an upgrade in sound quality.

Shure offers the convertible Bluetooth or wired options I'm also currently seeking, with controls for vol/track and mics for taking a quick phone call.

I just picked up a Shure SE425 and have never heard such open, clear, beautiful mids and highs before in my life, but I find the lows are lacking.

I'm considering the SE535. However, their "applications engineer" rep is advising me against it, saying the SE425 is ideal, is neutral, and to stay with it.

I have an old Shure SE530 that I dug out after sitting in a draw a few years. It's at least 12 years old. The lows are ample (if not overblown a bit, but the mids and highs are sorely lacking, even sounding quite muffled -- especially after listening to the SE425.

I'm using the Shure olives provided with the SE425 (two pair of medium came with it, so I have them on both the SE425 and the SE530 for equal comparisons).

Should I try the SE535? Is it likely to give me the beautiful, open, clear mids and highs I'm getting with the SE425 while adding in more lows? Or should I look elsewhere for something that also offers that Bluetooth and communications cable versatility?

I know there are other options with good quality, even for less money, because I've been reading a lot on this forum. But those Bluetooth-or-wired and controls/communications cable options are important to me. I'm trying to avoid spending more time with trying things, but a strong recommendation here will be taking seriously. I know to honor that. (Because of this forum, I found amazing RBH H2 Bluetooth IEMs years ago that kept me very happy for years -- and still may have to for some time.)

Note that I'm buying directly from Shure and have no problem doing returns for refunds. So, in that sense, trying is easy enough -- just potentially losing time that I can't really spare if I can avoid it.

Thanks so much!

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I think the 535 is an excellent IEM, but the highs are rolled off. The 425 gives much better detain in the upper treble, but still maintains the lows. I prefer the 535 for general listening, but if you want to do some mixing the 425 might be better due to better treble retrieval.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I think the 535 is an excellent IEM, but the highs are rolled off. The 425 gives much better detain in the upper treble, but still maintains the lows. I prefer the 535 for general listening, but if you want to do some mixing the 425 might be better due to better treble retrieval.
Thanks. I'm not a musician or pro. Just listening to music while exercising. It will be tough losing those beautiful highs I hear with the SE425 if I get the SE535. I guess the question is how much it's lost. Hopefully not too much.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 5
I had the SE425 and beautiful highs did not exist in my opinion, they were really rolled off and I sold them after a month or 2 of use.
Proof: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1mth-old-lightly-used-shure-se425s-shipped.648069/

I currently use Fearless Audio S8 Pro and find them to be wonderful all around IEMs. I think there are a ton of iems these days which offer significantly better price performance than the Shures which released about 10 years ago.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks to crinacle's site it's easy to get a quick comparison of sound signature.

If you are willing to branch out into chi-fi, I'd maybe consider the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, Moondrop Starfield or Blessing 2. I haven't heard them personally though.

As far as TWS adapters, I like them. The TRN BT20 is better for higher sensitivity IEM's (lower noise floor/gain) but is AAC/SBC only. The TRN BT20S is better for slightly harder to drive IEM's and will go louder (higher gain/noise floor) and adds APT-X.

There is also the Fiio UTWS1, which is basically version 3 of the BT20/BT20S adding volume control.

Shure has their own TWS adapter as well and lastly the Fostex TM2.

Attachments

• graph (8).png
    graph (8).png
    286.7 KB · Views: 0
  • graph (9).png
    graph (9).png
    289.1 KB · Views: 0
  • graph (10).png
    graph (10).png
    295 KB · Views: 0
  • graph (11).png
    graph (11).png