Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5,731 of 22,954
  Try K10 & K3003i IMO would really work out great if SR009 and HD800 is your preference sound signature. If one is looking at LCD XC, LCD 3 typed of sound, the Shure 846, Roxanne TG334 will be it. Looking for something in the middle, 1p2 will be a great fit - not too much sub bass, more on mid bass and treble extension as high as K10 with vocal recessed for an easy listening session and speakers like sound stage... and if one find not enough mid bass and want more vocal than 1p2,  the UE18 PRO comes in where the mid bass is as strong as its sub bass and vocal more pronounce than 1p2 but still a lot less than SE846, Roxanne and TG334. 

Lots of options... just need to figure out our preferences..
L3000.gif

Audiowood, I bought the SE846 instead of TG334 after hearing the bass on some tracks sound a bit slow / bloated on the TG334s (I listen to a wide range of genres) - other tracks were simply magical on TG334s and better than anything I have ever heard. I am about to buy the K10s as a custom option while keeping the SE846s as a universal option. Do you (or anyone else) think that the K10 and SE846 will make a good complimentary pair? I like to have different options available like my LCD 2 / T1 combo at home, but I like them to be different enough to make sense owning both and similar enough that both will suit my tastes.

I guess I'm worried from some of the last few posts that the K10 is going to be a bit too dry like the HD800 is to my ears. Is that the case?

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #5,732 of 22,954

Audiowood, I bought the SE846 instead of TG334 after hearing the bass on some tracks sound a bit slow / bloated on the TG334s (I listen to a wide range of genres) - other tracks were simply magical on TG334s and better than anything I have ever heard. I am about to buy the K10s as a custom option while keeping the SE846s as a universal option. Do you (or anyone else) think that the K10 and SE846 will make a good complimentary pair? I like to have different options available like my LCD 2 / T1 combo at home, but I like them to be different enough to make sense owning both and similar enough that both will suit my tastes.

I guess I'm worried from some of the last few posts that the K10 is going to be a bit too dry like the HD800 is to my ears. Is that the case?

I would definitely not call the K10 "dry", as they are detailed and musical.  I think the K10 would be a great compliment to the SE846 not only for its sound signature, but more importantly (in my opinion) the K10's highly customizable shell.  Here is a picture (looks much better in person) of the 3D-esque 24k gold flakes on the K10 I demoed:

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #5,733 of 22,954

I would definitely not call the K10 "dry", as they are detailed and musical.  I think the K10 would be a great compliment to the SE846 not only for its sound signature, but more importantly (in my opinion) the K10's highly customizable shell.  Here is a picture (looks much better in person) of the 3D-esque 24k gold flakes on the K10 I demoed:

Thanks moe, that's very comforting to hear as I'm about to send off my impressions and $$$ today!!!

I've gone with the amber shells with gold flake, but with a solid white faceplate and hammered gold-leaf Noble logo - should look sexy, but subtle I hope and be a great alternative to my SE846s which are constantly growing on me... listening to Harry Connick Jr's Smokey Mary album while I work today and the bass from the SE846s is just perfect for the drums and bass in the funky New Orleans grooves on the album - I can't stop bobbing my head and tapping my feet while staring at my client's training database!
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5,734 of 22,954

Thanks moe, that's very comforting to hear as I'm about to send off my impressions and $$$ today!!!

I've gone with the amber shells with gold flake, but with a solid white faceplate and hammered gold-leaf Noble logo - should look sexy, but subtle I hope and be a great alternative to my SE846s which are constantly growing on me... listening to Harry Connick Jr's Smokey Mary album while I work today and the bass from the SE846s is just perfect for the drums and bass in the funky New Orleans grooves on the album - I can't stop bobbing my head and tapping my feet while staring at my client's training database!
wink.gif

No worries, Loquah.  Congrats on your purchase.  Hopefully you'll enjoy them.  The custom IEM version of the K10 should bode a little bit better regarding bass response as opposed to the universal version (obviously).  Look forward to seeing the photos and reading your impressions once you receive them.

Yeah, I have absolutely zero want or need to try to obtain another universal or CIEM after demoing the best of multiple companies' cream of the crop IEMs.  The SE846s continue to wow, in every possible way.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5,735 of 22,954
Anyone have a clue what would cause a left/right imbalance on these? It's driving me absolutely insane. It's not the cable, the filters, or the nozzles. With no nozzles in them at all I hear it clear as day. 

I need to know if I need to return these or if there's something I can do to fix them. Seriously guys, I'm almost sick to my damn stomach here. I drop $1000 on headphones and $200 on custom molds, the molds don't fit and now the headphones are messed up. This is physically painful.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #5,737 of 22,954
Anyone have a clue what would cause a left/right imbalance on these? It's driving me absolutely insane. It's not the cable, the filters, or the nozzles. With no nozzles in them at all I hear it clear as day. 

I need to know if I need to return these or if there's something I can do to fix them. Seriously guys, I'm almost sick to my damn stomach here. I drop $1000 on headphones and $200 on custom molds, the molds don't fit and now the headphones are messed up. This is physically painful.

If you don't have a perfect fit especially around the canal area it won't sound right. I had that problem when I first got my CIEMs and sending it for a refit fixed it.

DIdn't read the whole thread so I don't know the whole situation

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #5,738 of 22,954
So sorry to read this, SGD!

I'm assuming you've tried multiple tracks and sources? (Sorry for asking the obvious)

Don't even need to use music. The pip sound of increasing/decreasing volume on a laptop makes it obvious enough. I even popped everything out of the housing so it was just a hole down into the things and tried it out, both ways around. 

I tried everything possible to eliminate variables to the point of just using sine sweeps.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #5,739 of 22,954
My gut says it is source imbalance.  Have you tried other sources to rule that out?

If you have, then be glad you had a problem with a Shure IEM.  Their customer service is peerless.  I wish you the best!

On a side note, I was playing around with my AK240 which allows you to shift channel balance simply.  After having some fun, mine were dead on.  

Good luck!

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #5,740 of 22,954

Everyone who has responded has valid troubleshooting tips.  If you have exhausted the suggestions and ruled everything else out - looks like it may be time to receive a replacement SE846.  There have been other people on this very thread that have had various issues (which I'm sure you have read) and returning them for a replacement has rectified their issues.  You have read my various inquiries, as well as suggestions regarding the SCS, so I won't regurgitate that info again.  All I can say is you'll be in good hands if all of the ducks are in a row the correct way, and Sensaphonics will make the refits within 30 days of receiving them until they feel perfect.  
Good luck! 
size]
 (root beer in my glass)

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #5,741 of 22,954
When I noticed imbalance with my phones I swapped the headphone cable, then I also considered the pot being not fully balanced so I turned the digital volume down so I could raise the pot up to get more balanced(if the gain is high especially with sensitive phones like 846 imbalanced will be there at low volume), then tried making the track in mono mode in foobar or audacity, then lastly I tried this Youtube sweep test which gives you a visual of the frequency the tone is at so you now where the imbalance is and at what tone either left or right is louder.  I think the sweep works well since you know which frequency the imbalance is at.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #5,742 of 22,954
When I noticed imbalance with my phones I swapped the headphone cable, then I also considered the pot being not fully balanced so I turned the digital volume down so I could raise the pot up to get more balanced(if the gain is high especially with sensitive phones like 846 imbalanced will be there at low volume), then tried making the track in mono mode in foobar or audacity, then lastly I tried this Youtube sweep test which gives you a visual of the frequency the tone is at so you now where the imbalance is and at what tone either left or right is louder.  I think the sweep works well since you know which frequency the imbalance is at.

That's a great earphone test YouTube video. Sensaphonics has something similar - the Audio Seal test - it's to help determine if your earphones (SCS, universals/CIEMs) are correctly inserted. The webpage comes with downloadable and streamable audio files in .mp3 or .wav format. The test is great to find out if you have a correct insertion and proper fit, and can also reveal other issues other than an incomplete and/or poor seal. From the webpage: "The test consists of two brief audio tracks. Both include two sine waves, one at 50 Hz and the other at 500 Hz, played at the same volume. On one track, the two tones are played together. On the other track, the tones alternate in 2-second intervals."

Here's the link: http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,743 of 22,954
It looks as though I will be without my 8s over the weekend. I am not happy whatsoever about the quick turnaround being somewhat oversold. If the whole process takes a week, jaben should say so, now I am being told a week or two?

I usually have nothing but nice things to say about this store, however I was not dealt with professionally today, and it would have been nice to know that the fellow who looks after Shure replacements/repairs is only in on Mon-through-Thurs.

A piddly complaint perhaps, but I am not happy all around at this point. My 846s are my everything; a daily musical experience, security blanket while riding the tram, the only material possession really worth a damn etc. Being without them is starting to get excruciating.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #5,745 of 22,954
It looks as though I will be without my 8s over the weekend. I am not happy whatsoever about the quick turnaround being somewhat oversold. If the whole process takes a week, jaben should say so, now I am being told a week or two?

I usually have nothing but nice things to say about this store, however I was not dealt with professionally today, and it would have been nice to know that the fellow who looks after Shure replacements/repairs is only in on Mon-through-Thurs.

A piddly complaint perhaps, but I am not happy all around at this point. My 846s are my everything; a daily musical experience, security blanket while riding the tram, the only material possession really worth a damn etc. Being without them is starting to get excruciating.

Ask Jaben to give you a replacement IEM till you get back your 846 done LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back