Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #7,111 of 22,954
The short answer is fantastic. My musical library is almost exclusively progressive and prog metal. From modern prog such as Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Echolyn, Opeth and Big Big Train to classic prog like Genesis, King Crimson and Yes. The 8s truly convey the vocals, imaging and multilayered instruments found in prog rock with authority.

I have a friend with over 5,000 prog albums who I just turned onto the 846 and he is stunned, as I still am, by the synergy between progressive rock and the SE846. One listen to "10,000 Days pt 2" from Tool's last album 10,000 Days and you will understand what I mean.

Thanks.  How do these fair for long listening sessions?  I listen at work (with breaks) so talking about 5-6 hour days.  I don't suppose you are familiar with bands such as Magnum, Mostly autumn and so on are you?

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7,112 of 22,954
thanks man!

I knew i needed the se846 when Warrior1975 kindly loaned me his set, just seriously was like WOW, so much clearer then Ref 1's, the bass is ALOT better defined, mids are are upfront and lush (ref 1 is recessed a little). Ref 1 sounds a little bloated and not as clear, a little muffled in comparison. Ofcourse this is my own opinion, but se846 upfront sound is much more dynamic and fun to listen to.

It's so interesting how we all hear different things... Or perhaps I hear what I want to hear...That's probably the case Pete, I just want to love my Ref 1. Not that I don't love my 8s...although yesterday was a particularly frustrating day with my one monitor cutting in and out due to the cable coming loose. It's the first time I found myself wanting the 8s over my Ref 1.

I have to say, I'm beyond happy to have both. For my lifestyle, they compliment each other very well. They both get their fair share of listening... Not so much my asg g2 anymore though, sadly.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #7,113 of 22,954
It's so interesting how we all hear different things... Or perhaps I hear what I want to hear...That's probably the case Pete, I just want to love my Ref 1. Not that I don't love my 8s...although yesterday was a particularly frustrating day with my one monitor cutting in and out due to the cable coming loose. It's the first time I found myself wanting the 8s over my Ref 1.

I have to say, I'm beyond happy to have both. For my lifestyle, they compliment each other very well. They both get their fair share of listening... Not so much my asg g2 anymore though, sadly.

hehe I think it does boil down to taste aswell, also the style of music would be a massive deciding factor - electronic, dubstep, trance just sounds flat out amazing with the se846!! Ashame about the cable, you got a spare stock cable around?

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #7,115 of 22,954
Question to anyone who is using the Silver Litz cables, what effect do they have on the bass versus the stock cables? Is there any loss in bass versus stock? Also what DAP are using your setup with? Anyone running the AK240? What are your thoughts on it? I'm considering buying this cable right now.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #7,116 of 22,954
Thanks.  How do these fair for long listening sessions?  I listen at work (with breaks) so talking about 5-6 hour days.  I don't suppose you are familiar with bands such as Magnum, Mostly autumn and so on are you?

Thanks.

I wear mine for extended periods of 3-4 hours at night while reading without really feeling them. The key is finding the right tips that fit or failing that looking into the custom sleeves by Sensaphonics.

As for Magnum and Mostly Autumn. I am very familiar with Mostly Autumn (I have two or three of their albums) not as much with Magnum. Do you listen to more male or female vocal prog bands?

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #7,117 of 22,954
Do the MMCX connectors on Ted silver cables wiggle inside the 8's at all?

My 93spec silver cable is cutting out so I'll be returning or swapping it. The MMCX connectors have a bit of a wiggle inside the 8's.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #7,118 of 22,954
I wear mine for extended periods of 3-4 hours at night while reading without really feeling them. The key is finding the right tips that fit or failing that looking into the custom sleeves by Sensaphonics.

As for Magnum and Mostly Autumn. I am very familiar with Mostly Autumn (I have two or three of their albums) not as much with Magnum. Do you listen to more male or female vocal prog bands?

Hi

I'd say it's an even split, but I tend to listen to prog more than prog metal.  I was just curious about how the shures handled the relatively limited recordings of the bands mentioned.  The shures are on the top of my budget right now (more so with tips included).  If I did get the shures then I would be looking to ACS as I am in the uk.  My listening sessions go something like 9:15ish headphones on till around 10:30 or so depending on length of album or if I'm interrupted (which happens less these days thankfully:p). Tea break at 11 till for 15 minutes, then I'll stick headphones on about 11:30 till around 12:45 (again it's not set in stone) Lunch from one till half past, so headphones go on around 2 till 3 give or take.  Then it's last tea break at 3:15 for another quarter of an hour.  Then depending on how I feel, what the noise level is like in the office I'll stick them on until home time at 4:30.  Sometimes I don't bother with the last hour.  That's the general routine though I do vary it.

The main reason I am a bit wary of it is that I tried the 215's out about a year ago.  I know they are not comparable sound wise, but the prong of the cable relief was preventing me getting a decent seal.  I am just concerned with the same thing happening here.  Oh and fwiw, Magnum use Shure 535's as monitoring iems :p

Thanks

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #7,119 of 22,954
  Do the MMCX connectors on Ted Himself silver cables wiggle inside the 8's at all?

My 93spec silver cable is cutting out so I'll be returning or swapping it. The MMCX connectors have a bit of a wiggle inside the 8's.

No. Connectors on Ted's cable do not dangle inside the 8's. The fit as snug as the stock connectors, but don't rotate as freely.
The cables I bought from eBay had a loose MMCX connector. It was way too easy to pop the 8's out, eventually it started developing connection dropouts. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #7,120 of 22,954
  Do the MMCX connectors on Ted Himself silver cables wiggle inside the 8's at all?

I've had some issues with loose connections with my Silver Litz from Ted.  Not ordinarily a problem as my fit is very secure and there's not much movement.  But I can certainly make a connection drop out.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7,122 of 22,954

thanks man!

I knew i needed the se846 when Warrior1975 kindly loaned me his set, just seriously was like WOW, so much clearer then Ref 1's, the bass is ALOT better defined, mids are are upfront and lush (ref 1 is recessed a little). Ref 1 sounds a little bloated and not as clear, a little muffled in comparison. Ofcourse this is my own opinion, but se846 upfront sound is much more dynamic and fun to listen to.

Your impressions regarding the Ref. 1 mirrors my impressions of the Ref. 1 compared to the SE846 - glad to know that someone who has listened to both the Ref. 1 and SE846 has similar perceived opinions regarding the two.  I would further say that in my opinion, once you have your favorite filters (or modded black filters like I use) installed, and use great fitting and sealing sizes-fit-all tips or the SCS, the advantages that the SE846 have over the Ref. 1 (and most, if not all IEMS and most CIEMS) becomes unfortunately "unfair" to compare.

Quote:

I've had some issues with loose connections with my Silver Litz from Ted.  Not ordinarily a problem as my fit is very secure and there's not much movement.  But I can certainly make a connection drop out.

When did you purchase your Silver Litz?  Do you know specifically which MMCX connectors you have?  I am aware that the newer ones (within the last few months at least) use the Tri-Metal MMCX connectors, which are stronger/tighter than the stock SE846 MMCX connectors.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #7,123 of 22,954
I just spoke to Ted and he informed me the following:

-"deoxit red cleaner then gold conditioner clears up 95% of mmcx connector issues"
-"I ordered 1,000 new tri-plated mmcx and have been having great success but keep in mind all mmcx connectors need cleaning periodically"
-"the earphones mmcx connectors are oval and for whatever reason aftermarket mmcx males are generally looser than stock (mostly on se846 they are bigger because of extra plating)"

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7,125 of 22,954
I think I need to issue an apology to the SE846... I've been struggling to overcome what I perceived as a harshness or edge in the upper mids / treble from the SE846s, but I've played around with some different recordings and I think the issue is that I'm allergic to compression (in a recording / mastering sense) and the 8s are so clean and transparent that the compression is very noticeable with them.

For example, Sting's Brand New Day album sounds sublime with the SE846, but Joss Stone's Colour Me Free is harsh and edgy. Hopefully compression is the culprit and I can just weed out highly compressed masters from my portable collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back