Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #15,168 of 22,954
I use my 846 with the Pioneer XDP100R and have no hiss whatsoever. I also use it with my Pioneer XPA700 amp, balanced and unbalanced with no hiss.

Good to know the XDP100R performs well with the SE846. That bodes well for its bigger brother, the Onkyo DP-X1. I've been staring at it for some time now. I'm waiting for it to officially get to the US and I'll hopefully get to hear it soon.

May 3, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #15,170 of 22,954
My se846 were stolen, I just don't have $ to buy that again... Or a mojo.

I have a dx80 right now, with some 10$ buds. How does the he400i or oppo pm3 or hd650 or hd700 sound compared to the se846

(I know... Different realms, but plz help) I got 400 to about 550 to spend... I don't mind buying used. Please help, looking for a fun dynamic sound in a full sized headphones closed or open

May 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #15,171 of 22,954
My se846 were stolen, I just don't have $ to buy that again... Or a mojo.

I have a dx80 right now, with some 10$ buds. How does the he400i or oppo pm3 or hd650 or hd700 sound compared to the se846

(I know... Different realms, but plz help) I got 400 to about 550 to spend... I don't mind buying used. Please help, looking for a fun dynamic sound in a full sized headphones closed or open

The HD700 is an amazingly fun full size headphone. I would recommend it to anyone who likes quality bass, don't mind a bit of treble, and want to wear the most comfortable headphone ever to grace my head, with superb imaging. You can get a used one easily for 300-350 these days, new ones was going on Amazon recently for $425 too. After I sold it after getting my HD800 I still try to relive the days of HD700 nostalgia.

May 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #15,172 of 22,954
The HD700 is an amazingly fun full size headphone. I would recommend it to anyone who likes quality bass, don't mind a bit of treble, and want to wear the most comfortable headphone ever to grace my head, with superb imaging. You can get a used one easily for 300-350 these days, new ones was going on Amazon recently for $425 too. After I sold it after getting my HD800 I still try to relive the days of HD700 nostalgia.

I have heavily consideree the hd700, I'm just afraid of it a little due to the unpopularity of it and most people just don't like them for some reason, I liked the se846, but I want something fun and energetic expecially for electronic based music and modern day pop

May 3, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #15,173 of 22,954
I have heavily consideree the hd700, I'm just afraid of it a little due to the unpopularity of it and most people just don't like them for some reason, I liked the se846, but I want something fun and energetic expecially for electronic based music and modern day pop

HD700 definitely won't work for electronic... I had looked headphones for few months, tried nearly everything I could. Ordered stuff and returned them as they did not fit for hardcore techno for me. In the end I settle for DT1770 and absolutely love them with velour earpads (come with velour and pleather). I can definitely recommend them if you want fun cans,

I am amazed you want something better suited for electronic. The 846 definitely works super well for that genre at least for me with shure olives and bright filter.

May 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #15,174 of 22,954
HD700 definitely won't work for electronic... I had looked headphones for few months, tried nearly everything I could. Ordered stuff and returned them as they did not fit for hardcore techno for me. In the end I settle for DT1770 and absolutely love them with velour earpads (come with velour and pleather). I can definitely recommend them if you want fun cans,

I am amazed you want something better suited for electronic. The 846 definitely works super well for that genre at least for me with shure olives and bright filter.

Thabks for your guidance, I will definitely look into that model... Well I just done have thst much $ to spend. Se846 are pricy... But good, yet to me lacked a little slam of fun. But I loved them

May 3, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #15,175 of 22,954
I've heard the HD700 and they are OK, but I've heard more positive comments about the HD650.  FWIW...

May 3, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #15,177 of 22,954
Any others you recommend for my genres and price range? Of no more than 600

I think the HE400i may be a good option (and the HD650) but I've not heard the HE400i.  Just commenting off of other's comments, so risky.  Try to listen before you buy, if possible.

As always, enjoy your music!
RCB

May 3, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #15,178 of 22,954
I personally think open are terrible for electronic music. Basing my experience on trying out hifiman models up to 1000€, audeze up to 2000€. I also owned HD600 for some time. The air in the sound just kills it for me personally, but like the other posters said best if you try them out, My personal recommendations goes to the DT1770, I feels like they perform good on electronic music while doing really great on pop/rock/metal.

I never had so much fun with headphones as I am having with the DT1770. They might not be the most expensive ones nor I am sure how well they perform for the price, but I love them so that is all that matters for my experience.

May 3, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #15,179 of 22,954
I personally think open are terrible for electronic music. Basing my experience on trying out hifiman models up to 1000€, audeze up to 2000€. I also owned HD600 for some time. The air in the sound just kills it for me personally, but like the other posters said best if you try them out, My personal recommendations goes to the DT1770, I feels like they perform good on electronic music while doing really great on pop/rock/metal.

I never had so much fun with headphones as I am having with the DT1770. They might not be the most expensive ones nor I am sure how well they perform for the price, but I love them so that is all that matters for my experience.

While I understand the anti open hp concept for electronic, hd800S with proper dac amp can drive quite well. The low end is sufficient the clarity of the Mids do the sound effects justice in the sound scape. I do appreciate the thump of closed like th900 with this genre, I thought it couldn't be beat for that Marshall stack in your head feeling, but I'm good with open as well.

May 3, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #15,180 of 22,954

Thank you so much, looks like I'll have to stay away from open back cans. Because most of my music is techno and minimal and other flavors of electronic music. The se846 were nice for it. But now with my new budget and no mojo... Looks like oppo pm3 or the dt1770 as mentioned above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back