Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #15,181 of 22,954
You know, if you're on a budget for HP's the ATH-M50X are a steal at their current price of $115.  I have two pair here that the grandkids use, and they sound quite good for the price.  I haven't tried them with metal music...again FWIW.  

May 3, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #15,182 of 22,954
  I personally think open are terrible for electronic music. Basing my experience on trying out hifiman models up to 1000€, audeze up to 2000€. I also owned HD600 for some time. The air in the sound just kills it for me personally, but like the other posters said best if you try them out, My personal recommendations goes to the DT1770, I feels like they perform good on electronic music while doing really great on pop/rock/metal.

I never had so much fun with headphones as I am having with the DT1770. They might not be the most expensive ones nor I am sure how well they perform for the price, but I love them so that is all that matters for my experience.

Thank you so much, looks like I'll have to stay away from open back cans. Because most of my music is techno and minimal and other flavors of electronic music. The se846 were nice for it. But now with my new budget and no mojo... Looks like oppo pm3 or the dt1770 as mentioned above...

I think it is a colossal mistake to rule out all open-back headphones for electronic music. Electronic music sounds amazing on my LCD-X; the bass slam and extension is well suited to the genre. With your ears coming from the SE846, you're going to be looking for that bass.

Looking closer to the price range you're looking at, there are very good headphones to select from. I just did a fresh comparison of my mid-fi headphones to see which ones were more suitable to the genre.

HD650
Plenty of bass, precise transitions, slightly dark compared to the others.

HE-400i
Brighter presentation, bass is present, but lacks the slam of the others.

AKG K7XX
Absolutely brilliant in this genre. Bass extends deep and wide, there is nothing missing. The signature is neither dark nor bright. There is plenty in extension in the treble as well.

My recommendation is the AKG K7XX followed by the HD650. In terms of price, it's no contest: The K7XX is $199 (well under priced in my opinion), but the catch is you'll have to wait for Massdrop to make it available (which they do regularly) or pick it up on the used market. The HD650 can be had in the $300 to $400 range both new and used, depending on sales that may be running.

If you want to know more about any of the above, let me know.

Good luck.

May 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #15,183 of 22,954
I agree not to rule them out before you try them. Personally I have tried HD650 and HE-400i, but I made the choice personally not ever use open can for hardcore techno, just did not sound right. Go and compare and pick which suits you. I'd pick DT1770 over PM3, because they do not have the best comfort and I felt it lacked something.

May 3, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #15,184 of 22,954
  I just switched to black filter from white on my 846 and I'm probably going to switch back to white. The bass with the black filter is tremendous but I wonder, do I need that much. It still has detail but I feel like it's missing something up top. I want to give the black filter at least a week and then I'll switch between white and blue again to hopefully settle. What I want is black bass but white treble. Is there any mod for that? Blue is too close to black in the treble and white in the bass. They need a gray filter.

Your post motivated me to try out the white filter. God. Such an improvement. Thank you. I updated my review above.

Maybe you'd be better off going back to white filters and eq-ing from your phone/whatever instead. It seems to me that the foam in the blue and black filters distorts the high end as it eq's it down. Cymbals seem a lot cleaner with the white (empty) filters. To get your black bass, you could try the eq on your phone/source. It might introduce less distortion than foam does, get you the exact levels you want in each band.

While we're on the topic, why do people mod the blue filter by pulling the filters out? My white filter is already empty of foam. Am I missing something?

May 3, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #15,185 of 22,954

Got the se 846 yesterday, must say this is a big stepup from my ie80s, sound is very much detailed and vocals are amazing and instruments have great separation, my senns never sounded good right away from unboxing, but these are spot on, still on the stock blue filters, and using only my iPhone, also the bass is so soothing rather than my senns, build quality is awesome tremendous ahead of ie800 as well.

May 3, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #15,186 of 22,954
Got the se 846 yesterday, must say this is a big stepup from my ie80s, sound is very much detailed and vocals are amazing and instruments have great separation, my senns never sounded good right away from unboxing, but these are spot on, still on the stock blue filters, and using only my iPhone, also the bass is so soothing rather than my senns, build quality is awesome tremendous ahead of ie800 as well.

That's awesome! I'm glad you're happy with them. It'll only get better as you pair them with a better DAC and amp. Also, take your time and learn the sound signature before changing out filters. Welcome aboard! :)

May 3, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #15,187 of 22,954
That's awesome! I'm glad you're happy with them. It'll only get better as you pair them with a better DAC and amp. Also, take your time and learn the sound signature before changing out filters. Welcome aboard! :)

Soon will get those, currently i am a little low on money as these took my two months salary, but cheers to the sound quality 
L3000.gif

May 4, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #15,188 of 22,954
I have heavily consideree the hd700, I'm just afraid of it a little due to the unpopularity of it and most people just don't like them for some reason, I liked the se846, but I want something fun and energetic expecially for electronic based music and modern day pop

HD700 definitely won't work for electronic... I had looked headphones for few months, tried nearly everything I could. Ordered stuff and returned them as they did not fit for hardcore techno for me. In the end I settle for DT1770 and absolutely love them with velour earpads (come with velour and pleather). I can definitely recommend them if you want fun cans,

I am amazed you want something better suited for electronic. The 846 definitely works super well for that genre at least for me with shure olives and bright filter.

I've heard the HD700 and they are OK, but I've heard more positive comments about the HD650.  FWIW...

Lots of wrong information being spread about the HD700. Read the HD700 impressions thread yourself to learn about it and be better informed. HD700 is one of the best headphones for EDM I've heard, this is compared to the HD650, HD800, K712, HE-400, HE-400i, X1, T1.

May 4, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #15,189 of 22,954
Do the white filters contain any foam because l went for a filter change from blue to white and when viewed I didn't notice any, but the blue filter contains form as it was dark on the frontend, sound clarity is better in these bright filters and I changed to silicon tips from form ones and am finding considerable increase in sound clarity, bass to be perfect not so too much now as in blue ones, overall much improvement.

May 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #15,190 of 22,954
Do the white filters contain any foam because l went for a filter change from blue to white and when viewed I didn't notice any, but the blue filter contains form as it was dark on the frontend, sound clarity is better in these bright filters and I changed to silicon tips from form ones and am finding considerable increase in sound clarity, bass to be perfect not so too much now as in blue ones, overall much improvement.

No the white filters have no foam. Give them time to see if you continue to feel same.

May 4, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #15,191 of 22,954
Lots of wrong information being spread about the HD700. Read the HD700 impressions thread yourself to learn about it and be better informed. HD700 is one of the best headphones for EDM I've heard, this is compared to the HD650, HD800, K712, HE-400, HE-400i, X1, T1.

Dunno how is it wrong information when I said that this is my personal experience. I tried it out and that was my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Personally I think hd700 was something between 650 and 800. Was terrible sounding and not worth the money.

This is why op should try them out and form his opinion

May 4, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #15,192 of 22,954

Dunno how is it wrong information when I said that this is my personal experience. I tried it out and that was my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Personally I think hd700 was something between 650 and 800. Was terrible sounding and not worth the money.

This is why op should try them out and form his opinion

Again and just another opinion, hd800S provides excellent groove based electronic sq as an open back. Granted I run it with TT and upgraded cables but the sound scape is really quite amazing. Granted I also own closed back th900 and edm and electronic heads swear buy that as well.

May 4, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #15,193 of 22,954
  I just switched to black filter from white on my 846 and I'm probably going to switch back to white. The bass with the black filter is tremendous but I wonder, do I need that much. It still has detail but I feel like it's missing something up top. I want to give the black filter at least a week and then I'll switch between white and blue again to hopefully settle. What I want is black bass but white treble. Is there any mod for that? Blue is too close to black in the treble and white in the bass. They need a gray filter.

My mod will do that for sure. Use the Knowles. I'm settled on the red but all of them are worth hearing. See my other comments.

May 4, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #15,194 of 22,954
Thank you so much, looks like I'll have to stay away from open back cans. Because most of my music is techno and minimal and other flavors of electronic music. The se846 were nice for it. But now with my new budget and no mojo... Looks like oppo pm3 or the dt1770 as mentioned above...

Oppo pm3 very detailed but oh so polite compared with the wow you look for,

May 4, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #15,195 of 22,954
No the white filters have no foam. Give them time to see if you continue to feel same.

Your post motivated me to try out the white filter. God. Such an improvement. Thank you. I updated my review above.

Maybe you'd be better off going back to white filters and eq-ing from your phone/whatever instead. It seems to me that the foam in the blue and black filters distorts the high end as it eq's it down. Cymbals seem a lot cleaner with the white (empty) filters. To get your black bass, you could try the eq on your phone/source. It might introduce less distortion than foam does, get you the exact levels you want in each band.

While we're on the topic, why do people mod the blue filter by pulling the filters out? My white filter is already empty of foam. Am I missing something?

I too the same query, why would people mod the blue filter by pulling the filters out? if the white ones are already empty !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back