Shure SRH144 & SRH145
Oct 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Saoshyant

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it seems Shure had decided to come out with headphones that appear to be competition for headphones similar to Sennheiser's PX100 & PX200. For $40, you can either get the SRH144 which is open or the SRH145 which is closed, the latter having a version with a mic&remote for $50. Anyone have any better information on these?

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 21
Couldnt find much info on them but they look interesting so I just decided to order a pair and try them out. Amazon only has the SRH144 available to Australia so thats what I ordered. Gonna be a bit of a wait till they arrive but I'll post my impressions when I get them.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 21
Much appreciated, I'll start looking myself for impressions, or maybe I'll order the closed version to compare to the px200. I know Shure has a rather solid reputation, so hopefully these turn out worthwhile.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 21
Much appreciated, I'll start looking myself for impressions, or maybe I'll order the closed version to compare to the px200. I know Shure has a rather solid reputation, so hopefully these turn out worthwhile.

Yes knowing Shure they won't disappoint. I've never heard the px200 but I was using the koss porta pro up until recently when my nephew broke them. These look like a good replacement and It should be interesting to see how they compare.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 21
I just bought a SRH144 couldn't pass them up new for $20. Semi-open for a better stage size most likely and the 145 treble is rated to 18,000 while the 144 is 20,000. More airy and probably more balance and extension on the high side made them the right choice for me.

Hopefully get them by week's end and be able to give my first impression and a few pics. I have had many of the other notables like AKG(K450/430/422), Koss(Sporta/Porta/and KSC75), Senn PX95/PX90/PX100-II/PX200-II, Mikros 90, etc. Only have the Koss UR55 modded, Sony MDR-027, and MDR-CD666 modded on hand currently though. CD66 is a classic Sony with the evaporated Tianium coated drivers and put better pads on it, if the SRH144 can run with it I'll be surprised and happy as they are easily as good as the Mikros! All I really hope for though is a decent amount of airiness, a little less treble roll off than usual for the $50 segment, some hint of the Shure mids, comfort, and an enjoyable sound signature.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Yeah, sorry it was a one pair deal. I would have shared and posted a link if it was available. Didn't mean to get people's hopes up
normal_smile .gif

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #9 of 21
Ordered a SRH145 for $27, was the only one available. Here's hoping Shure made a competitive headphone for a good cost.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 21
Well, it arrived today, and I was surprised I got the 145m+, thought I had bid on a standard 145, gotta love those little bonuses life gives you.

First off, the aesthetics... The outer band is a brushed metalic look although I severely doubt its actually metal or this price. It's nearly a mirror finish which I find to be a nice touch. The padding on top is roughly 1/4" thick and is fairly soft. The cable is Y shaped which is a nice touch, and is rather thin which I could see some disliking. As for the pads, I'm a little surprised that instead of part of the overall headband moving for adjustments, its the earpads themselves on a slider on the inside, allowing for a continuous solid looking headband. It collapses down nicely, but nowhere close to the size of an ultraportable like the Senn PX200. The earpads themselves are alright for comfort, but might cause some issues with prolonged wear given I can certainly feel some pressure.

Just starting to get initial sound impressions, but so far it feels like both the mids and treble are not as forward as I'm used to, with bass very noticeably being the prominent feature of this can. And while I'm not a good judge of sound stage, it does feel all inside my head, or maybe just slightly beyond. I'm wary of even trying out something complicated like Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, but it might handle fast paced classical better than I expect.

Another note: just got a call and only had audio on the left side. No issues with that on music though.

Yet another note: initial impressions done on Kogan, will test with X5 later.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Got my SRH144 a little while ago. I think they are a competitive product in the sub-$50 range. Not sure they set themselves apart much though.

These take 65mm pads and I think they may benefit from a pad swap. Open out the back but a decent seal in the front. Comfy as well. Just a quick playing around with the pads shows a little more air and detail may come from other pads. Have to burn them in first just to see if they change any before exploring that.

I compared them to my UR55(rear screens and mesh fabric removed) and they sound nearly the same. Good that the Shure sounds almost as big since that Koss has an even more open back nature. The Shure treble does sound a tiny more refined but the Koss low and mids may be a little cleaner. Again, may change with burn in. Happy I bought these cause I don't want any less treble amount or extension and pretty sure the 145 won't sound as open as these either. Also if the 145 closed nature seals in more bass then that is more than I want. The 144 has enough for my tastes. The extension is okay, atm. Sub-bass reach isn't the greatest but fine for this segment. A little layering out with some run in that makes the sub-bass show itself would be very welcome.

The build is solid. They fold up and open with a good solid click. The headband adjustment clicks in place as well but that is not tight and they will slide up or down if you handle them the wrong way. The plastics used are a good balance between weight and thickness. The faux machined metal look of the headband won't fool a good eye. The plug is a beefy right angle (a bit big actually) the Y sturdy, and the cable is a rubbery and 2mm thick to the cups. The head band padding is not too hick or thin and very well done.

Happy with them so far. Good size and weight, build is solid, looks are decent, and the sound is very enjoyable. I hope with burn in some more detail to shine through and the low to mid-bass tighten up and separate a bit and they will be all I could ask for in sound. I think I got a good deal at $20. 

The mods should move this to the portable forum, btw.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 21
Ok, taking a rougly 75 min walk with the SRH145m+ and a Fiio X5, I have to admit the sound improved over what I was initially hearing on the Kogan.  It could be, and I would not be surprised, that the initial pairing is just a bad match, or perhaps an under-powered pairing.  Using the Pop EQ setting, and listening at a volume that was appropriate for the vocals (for me and the album anyways), it feels like the treble was not nearly as far in the background (or faint) as it was on my initial out of box listening.  The bass which before felt boomy and somewhat uncontrolled, almost like a lesser take on the XB500 bass, felt quite a bit cleaner and more controlled.  It still wasn't a perfect pairing, but this second impression makes me want to continue giving it a bit of a try.

And yes, sorry for the early impressions, I know they're typically not the most accurate for anyone looking for serious information.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 21
  Ok, taking a rougly 75 min walk with the SRH145m+ and a Fiio X5, I have to admit the sound improved over what I was initially hearing on the Kogan.  It could be, and I would not be surprised, that the initial pairing is just a bad match, or perhaps an under-powered pairing.  Using the Pop EQ setting, and listening at a volume that was appropriate for the vocals (for me and the album anyways), it feels like the treble was not nearly as far in the background (or faint) as it was on my initial out of box listening.  The bass which before felt boomy and somewhat uncontrolled, almost like a lesser take on the XB500 bass, felt quite a bit cleaner and more controlled.  It still wasn't a perfect pairing, but this second impression makes me want to continue giving it a bit of a try.

And yes, sorry for the early impressions, I know they're typically not the most accurate for anyone looking for serious information.

We both put them out there and they can be valuable to some and those who don't care for first or "out of box" impressions just don't have to pay them any mind. A few hours on my pair of 144 made a nice difference. The bass tighten up and cleaned up a bit. The bass isn't any lower but more articulate and separated out pretty nicely. The bass isn't as smoothed over and soft as before. Not real impact but punchier than before and the bloom coming off made the low end quicker. Very nice as some cans don't change or change for the worse. The JVC M750 had a real engaging quality in it's bass and it was gone afterward rendering it less fun and enjoyable. The ES55 I had just never lost it's bloom down low and became less cohesive as the treble settled but the bass still had a bit of a blanket over it.

I would have to agree that I am enjoying the Shure more than I did before. It has cleaned up and shows it's detail more, it has a better decay and attack on the notes, the imaging/positioning also really shows now and is quite good. The bloom coming off is also showing more of an improved transparency and truer timbre throughout. Sounded more like a Koss driver before but I'd say that cymbals and drums sound a bit more realistic or accurate than the Koss.

The Shure have on-ear perforated pads similar to cans like the Mikros 90 but they are better in not having that finicky of a sweet spot. They do have a sweet spot for the best sound but R and L don't get too out of balance and the sound doesn't degrade as much as with the Mikros when you miss it. I did notice inside the pads the Mikros foam cut out was circular all the way around and the Shure is horseshoe shape with a straight across cut on the bottom. So, accordingly, after some run-in I would say that I am proven wrong or just less worried about the pads on my 144. Can always roll them and tweak if one wants but I now think but they work well on them and may not be holding them back any as my first impression thought possible.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #15 of 21
Thanks for the early feedback, hopefully they improve even more overtime. I'm still waiting on mine unfortunately, they sound like they are great value for money so i cant wait to hear them personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back