Shure SRH1840 - a few thoughts
May 15, 2021 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to post a few comments regarding the Shure SRH1840, vs writing a review.

This gear is certainly worth a review, but i thought i would just make a few remarks about it, instead.

This gear was created and first appeared in 2012.

It does not receive a lot of chatter on forums because the world has moved on and for the most part audiophile headphone listeners have been led into the idea that "if its not a Planar, its somehow less".
Well, the 1840 was originally created to be a reference studio monitor along with the 1540 and 840. However, it also functions nicely as an Audiophile experience, in my opinion.

Its comfy, its light, and its nicely crafted.
On the head it feels like a more comfortable version of the recent Sennheiser HD560S.
Its pretty easy to drive, and sounds good played quietly or loudly, and in general does not fatigue.

What does it sound like?

It somewhat sounds like a Hifiman, more or less.
Has that airy overall tonality that many like and prefer.
The Shure 1840 is mildly analytical, has nice bass., tho not a huge low end.
Vocals sound good without being too forward. Cymbals, drums, acoustic guitars, sound natural and present.
Treble is quite present.
The soundstage is all around you, vs being in your face or only in the front.
Instrument separation, dynamics and resolution, are all good.

Check it out if you have the opportunity.
-
522816-28acdbb9-shure_srh1840_headphones.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 22
Hey, thanks for your post! I'm considering buying the Shure's. How do you find them in comparison with Sennheiser 560S? Have you ever heard HD600's, and if you did, how does it compare to SRH1840's?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 22
A few years ago I briefly owned an SRH 1540 (the closed back). I did not like it at all. The bass was so boomy and bloated, and the mids were horribly recessed. In my opinion, the 1540 is a terrible sounding headphone. A little while back, I ended up hearing an SRH 1840, and I agree with the original poster's assessment. It is neutral, clean, detailed, yet not sibilant. One of the reasons the SRH 1840 sounds so good is because it has an almost flat frequency response. There is no mid bass bloat on the headphone at all, and the mids are correctly presented.

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 22
I think SRH1840 is an etheral sounding headphone. You feel it rather than hearing. What dac and amp do you use to drive them to get that feeling? I really enjoyed the sounds of "Baki" anime series with it.

Mar 9, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 22
A few years ago I briefly owned an SRH 1540 (the closed back). I did not like it at all. The bass was so boomy and bloated, and the mids were horribly recessed. In my opinion, the 1540 is a terrible sounding headphone. A little while back, I ended up hearing an SRH 1840, and I agree with the original poster's assessment. It is neutral, clean, detailed, yet not sibilant. One of the reasons the SRH 1840 sounds so good is because it has an almost flat frequency response. There is no mid bass bloat on the headphone at all, and the mids are correctly presented.
With the right source, SRH1540 headphones sound amazing. I use Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z.

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 22
I need a desktop setup. By the way What about soundstage with those dap's?
The Sony NW-WM1Z soundstage is deep and fairly wide. Paw Gold Touch is also decent, but the Sony stage is bigger.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 22
SRH1540 is best with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and SRH1840 is best with Sony NW-WM1Z. I like warmer, but HATE bass blaster headphones; they're cheesy.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 22
How did you find sound quality, comparing k812?
The K812 had more bass, and slightly wider stage. At low to moderate listening levels, SRH1840 IS 97% of way there. K812 can be cranked up more, but no balanced. I got a great deal on a mint SRH1840. I am still burning them in. It has been my experience that all of my favorite headphones seem to be midfi. Meze Empyrean didn't impress me. Love K812s. I hear that with burn in, SRH1840 bass improves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back