Shure SRH440 vs ATH-M50
Mar 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TF2

Head-Fier
I want headphones and decided between these two because they look to be good for the price. I listen to Metal, Rock, Classic Rock, Trance, Techno, & House. Which of the two do you think would be better?

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 24
ATH-M50 for sure, I'm very satisfied with mine. I got it for $90 from ebay (best offer). You should burn the headphones in for a few days, the sound quality just improves tremendously (to me, not trying to start a burn-in argument
smily_headphones1.gif
so YMMV)

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 24
The SH440 does not have little bass. They may seem like it if you are using a phone with emphasized bass as a reference point, though any phones will really.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really worth $45 more for the Audio Technica ones? You can buy 1.5 Shure headphones for the price of the ATH-M50s...

That price difference only exists if you buy the M50s from a store; get them from an Audio Technica authorized dealer on ebay. You can usually get them for $90 there. Meanwhile the Shures are new enough that they haven't really dropped below MSRP.

I have never heard the Shures myself, but based on my research, I decided on the M50, and I'm happy with my choice.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Is it really worth $45 more for the Audio Technica ones? You can buy 1.5 Shure headphones for the price of the ATH-M50s...

lol

I don't think M50 is worth any extra money at all. I think they are in the same league. SRH440 is more neutral, whereas the M50 has a V-shaped response with emphasized low/mid bass and upper treble. I would get the SRH440 for portable/unamped use because it is easier to drive. ATH-M50 really need an amp to sound controlled in the bass. M50 does have more low end rumble. SRH440 begins to roll off a little early. If you want a more balanced sound, I would check out SRH750DJ - should be the best of both worlds. Oh and isolation is better on the SRH440.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

For mainly techno/house/trance and rock you would recommend the Shures more?

I think for those types of music, you should check out SRH750 DJ first. Save up a little if you need to. They should have better bass extension than the SRH440 and better control than the M50.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 24
How weak is the bass in the SRH440, is it terrible? I haven't had prior experience with a good set of headphones before so I probably wouldn't notice unless it is extremely weak.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

How weak is the bass in the SRH440, is it terrible? I haven't had prior experience with a good set of headphones before so I probably wouldn't notice unless it is extremely weak.

It's by no means terrible, but the low bass (below 60 Hz or so) rolls off quite rapidly. What this means is that you will not hear the lowest end rumble that you will with better extended headphones. The bass that is there, however, is of very good quality - it is quite tight and punchy. I say try SRH440 first and if you will think the bass is too light for you, then go with the SRH750DJ - those will give plenty of bass from what I've read.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Yeah I will probably buy the 440s since I don't have enough for the ATH-M50s yet, then save up for better ones, maybe those Shures you recommended. I don't need overpowering bass, just enough to make it sound balanced.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Yeah I will probably buy the 440s since I don't have enough for the ATH-M50s yet, then save up for better ones, maybe those Shures you recommended. I don't need overpowering bass, just enough to make it sound balanced.

BTW, there's an SRH440 on sale right now in the for sale/trade section of the forum. Not sure if that's a good deal, but check it out:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/sh...y-left-478368/

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 24
For what it's worth, I found the SRH440 to have incredibly shallow cups, and my ears would hit the plastic driver screen. Not comfortable.

The M50 was alright though, and definitely had more bass.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 24
I found the M50 just fine w/o an amp from my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back