Shure SRH840 earpad mod.
Aug 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #31 of 47
I find my 840s are hot - as in my ears feel like they will burst in to flame after 1/2 hour or so.  With the increased room inside and the layer of sock between your head and the pleather, does this help with heat?

Also, the cardstock ring is folded over to double thick and jammed in the earpad with its edge perpendicular to the can itself?  As in the the top/bottom edges on these brackets?  [ ]

Thanks for the mod idea - can I wait to get socks or do I raid the orphan drawer...

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #32 of 47
We really need a better pad mod. I cut the cloth that protects the driver out of the cushion, and while it's nowhere near as comfortable the detail is just that much better.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd die for some real leather pads that fit.

Cut the felt out, twist the pads so the pads make a circular fit. Holy good god this sounds good, well okay it's not perfect but I really think somebody who does the pads business (*cough* jmoney *cough*) needs to take a gander at the SRH840 because they got a lot of room for improvement.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #37 of 47
What a crazy idea! But I gotta say, it worked on my 750DJs - they don't look quite as good as the 840s do with the mod, but still not bad, and the comfort is a different world. Soundstage is possibly a bit wider, but very little audible change that I could hear. Thanks!

May 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #38 of 47
i've done it to my srh840,, and i think this mod really make mine sounds and fit better!!

i like how the bass and the sound stage improve.. but i decide not to put the cardboard as i think it makes the earpad stiffer and press harder to my head,, it also make vocal sounds dryer.. i just slip the socks in a gap between the earpad and housing...  the cons is that i cant find a good looking socks in my home so my shure looks ugly with  blue-grey lined color socks earpad  
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #41 of 47

Quote:
Are shure srh840 earpads deeper than the shure srh440 earpads? this is because the incredibly shallow 440 earpads make me so uncomfortable

Absolutely!  The 840's earpads are softer, larger and deeper.  In fact, with the 840's earpads on the 440 you'll find a nice increase in bass with the high frequencies tamed a bit.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #44 of 47
can somebody make a video on how to do this? im trying to mod my srh 440's because they kill my ears after 45 minutes. I've messed up a number of times trying to do this. thanks.

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #45 of 47
What an interesting and simple mod.  It worked so well with my Shure 840s I had to try it with a pair of Superlux 681s I have that have a cheap vinyl earpad.  I am happy to say it worked just as well with these cans.  The comfort is greatly improved with both the 840s and the HD681s without any change in the soundstage that I can notice.  A bit more base is noticed on both phones, but personally for me that is not a bad thing.  Thanks for a simple, cost effective, and excellent mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back