Sigh...Searching Again - Closed Back with Felt Pads For Electronic and/or Rock
Sep 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Almost Tactful

Head-Fier
So I looked and looked and decided to give an open back set of cans a try. Went with the AKG K712 Pros and while they sounded good they left me wanting more, to top it off they were way to loud for my office enviro haha. So I'm looking again but need to stay with a closed can this time around. Also, I've noticed a lot of cans have leather or pleather pads, I'm a clean shaven dude and sitting with those pads on my cheeks for 8-14 hours a day won't work so I need felt, suede, or whatever else that breathes. I'm looking for something that can push the bass of electronic or the kick of the beat when it comes to rock. I'm using a Bifrost and a Lyr to push them so impedance doesn't matter...I should be able to push about any can that is under the $500 mark.

I'm currently using my DT770 Pro 250ohm and it's good, but it just not alive enough for me when the beat drops.

Cheers,

AT

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Simple, get the 80 ohm DT770. Problem solved. That version is the bassist of the lot, you won't be able to get much better bass slam than that out of a velour padded headphone.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 8
I tried the 80ohm (A girl here at the studio has a pair) and while they had slightly more kick they really didn't seem to fair much better than my 250's. I'm noticing that just about everyone uses leather pads, so if I were to remove the leather restriction would you have any other suggestions? I picked up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900X's yesterday as they seemed to get good reviews but I'm always open to more cans :)

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 8
oh nice, thanks for that mitsu, I'll have to take a look and put them on the hit list :)

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Recently tried some Shure 1540 cans. Liked them A LOT. Closed back, Alcantara ear pads, good bass, decent mids, nice treble. I'm picking up a pair in the near future.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll be adding these all to my hitlist. I seem to get a pair, give them a go for a month and then sell them for something else if I'm not madly in love with my choice :)

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Ha I've done that plenty of time. That's the good thing about the classifieds here, if you keep the headphones in like-new condition you generally don't lose much money after selling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back