Single Sided Headphones
Sep 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

floydianpsyche

New Head-Fier
I am an audiophile deaf on one ear!. Wondering if there is a great sounding single sided headphone I could buy or have it custom made. I am having a hard time missing whats happening on the left side of my current Grado stereo headphones and hence the search. Your valuable help will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Floydian

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 12
Hmm I don't know of any single sided cans but you might be better off looking for a mixer to channel all the sound into one cup.  You could keep your grado's this way.  Hope this helps!

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Wouldn't running a mono signal through normal headphones have the exact same effect?

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 12
i think there are some dj headphones that can do that, my koss tbse1 (i think its the same model as dj100 and dj200) has the mono mode you can switch to though im not a dj, so i never use it.

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 12
I lost all usable hearing in the right ear almost two years ago. I have posted threads on this forum asking questions similar to yours. If you do a search on my user name you should get several hits. There are several solutions out there. I have an ancient Carver C1 preamp that has a headphone jack and a stereo/mono switch. At the suggestion of one of the forum members here, I am using a modded Fostex T50rp headphone and use it over the good ear only. Gives me the best music listening experience I've had since the hearing loss. Good luck in your search! Vic

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613593/single-headphone#post_8448985

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Pioneer also makes headphones with a mono switch. A number of "DJ" models do, some of them pretty nice.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 12
As I posted earlier I have had no usable hearing in the right ear for the last two years. I use the Scansound MEP-101 single stereo earphone everyday, for TV watching. Works very well for this purpose. However, I don't consider it a really good earphone for music listening. Works ok, but not great. I much prefer the modded Fostex TP50rp for music, at least for home use. For an audiophile I think there are better solutions out there. Vic

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I am an audiophile deaf on one ear!. Wondering if there is a great sounding single sided headphone I could buy or have it custom made. I am having a hard time missing whats happening on the left side of my current Grado stereo headphones and hence the search. Your valuable help will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Floydian

Keep the Grados if you like them. All you need is a stereo to mono plug adapter or cable.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Check out Sensophonic's single ear stereo earphone...pretty steep= $450.00 plus about $30.00 for a audiologist to make a mold of your ear but might be what you are looking for.  I am completely deaf in my left ear from meningitis and was using all the single ear sets from Scansound but I am going to splurge on this one.  Got an appointment with the audio on Thursday next and then we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back