Single Wolfson WM8742 24-bit vs Dual Wolfson WM8740 24bit DAC - Which is Better?
May 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ryder78

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at the specs of the Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 and DACMagic Plus. I prefer the tiny little shoebox of the DACMagic 100 but noticed that it comes with a single Wolfson WM8742 DAC chip whereas the bigger brother comes with dual Wolfson WM8742 DAC chips. On top of that, the DACMagic Plus has digital and analog filters.

It is apparent that the specs are different. I am well aware that all this is subjective and differences may be minimal but would appreciate if someone who has experience with these DACs can advise which unit is capable of a higher level playback.

Any advice appreciated.

May 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 9
May 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 9
The differences between modern, competitive DAC's is very subtle.  Your ancillary equipment will make more of a difference.  Choose a well known brand, in your price range and enjoy.  "Audio Nervosa" is a waste of time, energy and money.

May 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the thought. I am well aware that differences between modern DACs especially in a similar price range can be very subtle, though those tiny little bit of difference can be appreciable and still make a difference. Whether the difference will be an important or useless one is another matter. It will be quite a bit of a task for those in the market for a new DAC as there is a plethora of these devices on the market today to choose from.

I concur that audio nervosa is a waste of time, energy and money but still a choice has to be made. Choosing a well known brand within my price range may sound easy but even at a similar price range there are up to a dozen or more DACs from well-known manufacturers to choose from. Think I might just go with a DAC that looks good apart from looking at specs alone.

Cheers.

May 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Do you have a duplicate thread in Sound Science section?

May 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 9
I am growing weary of the whole "modern dacs sound similar" line of reasoning.
Sure, they all do a respectable job, if that is what you mean. But we must remember that we are listening to headphones, not boomboxes. And even subtle differences in presentation (soundstage, imaging, detail, noise floor) are very easily appreciated. This is the nature of the hobby we have embarked on. :D

May 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 9
More than often you're hearing the amplified signal, not the DAC itself, so comparing DACs is a bit tricky.
The Dual DAC is because they can be paired to create a differential stereo output, which can be used with a differential amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back