Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #511 of 1,671

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #515 of 1,671
Happy holidays.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #516 of 1,671
I hope you're all enjoying your holidays as much as I do.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #517 of 1,671
I'm a little late to this party, but better late than never I guess. 
Next round of beers to my fellow objectivist audiophiles and music lovers here on Head-Fi is on me! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #518 of 1,671
I'm a little late to this party, but better late than never I guess. 
Next round of beers to my fellow objectivist audiophiles and music lovers here on Head-Fi is on me! :beerchug:  

Shame they have to be virtual beers. Cheers!

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #519 of 1,671
Subbed.

So, what happened to the 'cable myth' thread?  I just visited and it's all locked up.  I guess mentioning Blackb*dy was not a great idea after all (first heard of that product through an add on this site...so...)

Anyhow, glad to find this thread - now I'm off to hunt for interesting articles within.

Best,

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #520 of 1,671
Does anyone know of any relatively easy-to-understand resources for how op-amps work? In my electronics courses, the professor just told us it's a "magic black box." XD

I only know of how to set one up on paper with block diagrams (the triangle symbol) and in a circuit board when given the pin numbers/functions.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #521 of 1,671
Does anyone know of any relatively easy-to-understand resources for how op-amps work? In my electronics courses, the professor just told us it's a "magic black box." XD

I only know of how to set one up on paper with block diagrams (the triangle symbol) and in a circuit board when given the pin numbers/functions.

This is the text book I used years ago. Burr Brown's book. Titled Operation Amplifiers-Design and Applicationss by Tobey, Graeme and Huelsman. Published by McGraw Hill.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #522 of 1,671
  Subbed.

So, what happened to the 'cable myth' thread?  I just visited and it's all locked up.  I guess mentioning Blackb*dy was not a great idea after all (first heard of that product through an add on this site...so...)

Anyhow, glad to find this thread - now I'm off to hunt for interesting articles within.

Best,

Only cable appreciation thread can live forever and always on top. Cable bashing thread not so much. Instead of "cable myth", if its title is generic cable appreciation thread, it will probably prosper.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #523 of 1,671

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nW4hZ-PHxo
I saw one really good video but I can't find it now (I'll put a link if I stumble upon it later). anyway this gives if not the perfect "how to", at least an understanding on why it does what it does.
when you have this basic simplified understanding, I found other tutos to become understandable. ^_^

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #524 of 1,671

That's kind of vague. Do you mean how to use them to make amps as what castleofargh linked or what actually goes on inside the triangle?

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #525 of 1,671
http://www.amazon.com/IC-Op-Amp-Cookbook-3rd-Edition/dp/0138896011

This work by Walter Jung was very helpful to me many years ago.  The basics haven't changed. 

I take it you are wanting to know what is in the "black box".

They are usually a handful of basic high gain circuits cascaded for very high gain.  So you use lots of feedback.  Some are bi-polar circuits and some are FET, and some are hybrid. 

Google:

op-amp internal circuit design

then look under images returned for hundreds of circuit diagrams of various op amps. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=op-amp+internal+circuit+design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back