Small Objective 2 Review
Sep 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 69
Quote:
 Wish the amp were smaller. 

That's about its biggest weakness.  It can't really be made much smaller without sacrificing most of its performance or changing everything to surface mount and being a lot harder to build.

Maybe if we're lucky it will get popular enough for a company to copy the basic design but make it smaller by using surface mount components and probably a lithium battery with DC-DC bipolar converter for the power supply, presumably verifying the performance with Lord Voldermort to comply with license.

That's probably just wishful thinking though...

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 69
Beats me - while the CLAS stack is held at the pinnacle of transportable audio, I dont see this as 'too big'. I'd prefer a small pricetag and a large enclosure than the other way around - just my 2 cents worth.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 69
Everytime I see this I want one. Someone needs to start carrying these boards in stock
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:
Beats me - while the CLAS stack is held at the pinnacle of transportable audio, I dont see this as 'too big'. I'd prefer a small pricetag and a large enclosure than the other way around - just my 2 cents worth.

So would I, but I don't bother with a portable amp so I'm not part of the same market.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:
Did someone try o2 with k701/2? any opinion?

It has easily enough power for them, so should sound great. I will be using them with my amp build, which has just flown through testing with flying colours. Watch this space!

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 69

Quote:
So would I, but I don't bother with a portable amp so I'm not part of the same market.

Hi HI

I don't think there will be an audible difference between the portable version and the desktop version.

I really don't need a portable since I'll be running it off AC, but, hey, if it runs on batteries too, what the heck....
beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 69
I mostly want the desktop version for it to be a more proper size/layout for desktop use. Portables tend to have all the controls and plugs jammed together.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 69
Got the answers I was after from Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics - eagerly looking forward to my amp. Found some photos with the 'recommended enclosure' on a Hong Kong forum, but I expect that they have already been posted. FWIR, it seems that the stock opamps are the way to go, at least if you want the same results nwavguy published.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 69
Very nice, vizzle - next to large cans like the AKGs, it doesnt look as 'huge' as some had earlier complained the Objective2 was for a 'portable' amp.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #29 of 69

Quote:

I concur. We need a review where someone can actually hear differences between other amps. Sorry but I don't agree that all amps sound the same. . . although I am really starting to think of myself as an objectivist, I cannot accept this view. 

The Objectivist argument isn't that all amps sound the same. It's that all GOOD amps sound the same - because they're supposed to reproduce the original sound and the more exactly they do that, the better they are. To me this is inarguable. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #30 of 69

Quote:

The Objectivist argument isn't that all amps sound the same. It's that all GOOD amps sound the same - because they're supposed to reproduce the original sound and the more exactly they do that, the better they are. To me this is inarguable. 

In theory that is true, but in reality, over time, one develops preferences for one amp over another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back