Smart use of a 4 GB Nano iPod.
Sep 12, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually its the other way around. If you recharge the battery without discharging it as much as possible the battery will get a memory that will show a low charge after a shorter time than it should.

The memory problem only applies to NiCD batteries, and to a certain extend NiMH batteries. The iPods use LiIon batteries. They don't have memory problems, and in fact, the recommendation is to charge them frequently, and NOT to deplete the battery.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep my whole library in 320 aac and even with good equipment I can not reliably tell the difference between this and losless. Going from 196 to 320 I could most of the time tell the difference but again not all the time, especially not on the road nor on the Nano.

Same with me. If you are not anal, EAC and lossless is not required. just do vbr or 256+aac... difference between 256 and 320 is very subtle.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Actually its the other way around. If you recharge the battery without discharging it as much as possible the battery will get a memory that will show a low charge after a shorter time than it should.

Completely and utterly incorrent information.

Lithium Ion ans Lithium Polymer batteries (the types of batteries found in DAPs/PMP's and laptops) don not like being fully discharged, doing so greatly degrades their overall capacity and would likely reduce the battery life quite significantly within the first year.

These sorts of batteries like to be charged frequently to get the maximum performance out of them. It is good practice to fully discharge the battery maybe once every month and a half to recalibrate the battery meter as it can sometimes go out of whack.

To learn more about proper battery care check out the battery universe website.

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 23
This thread is like the blind leading the deaf.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Maybe he was joking? Let's at least give him the benefit of the doubt.
tongue.gif
Kidding...kidding.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrobotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I should just use the 320 option in iTunes? How much worse is that than lossless? Would some say that it's not noticeable?

MANY would say its not noticeable. Of course I don't wanna spark that debate again, but my ears can't tell the difference, and there is nothing wrong with them at all. You are safe with 320.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Larson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is like the blind leading the deaf.
biggrin.gif

I lol'd at that.

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MANY would say its not noticeable. Of course I don't wanna spark that debate again, but my ears can't tell the difference, and there is nothing wrong with them at all. You are safe with 320.

Of course, he's also probably "safe" (in terms of not being able to hear a noticeable difference between the compressed file and the original) at 256, 192, and likely even lower. Which means that if he uses 320kbps, he's going to substantially reduce the number of files he can fit on his Nano for no appreciable benefit compared to those lower bitrate settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back