Smooth sounding headphones with great bass.
Apr 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know what constitutes great bass for you Manonthemoon but I will say that my AKG K550s have a smoothing influence on sounds of the instruments. The bass seems good to me in terms of volume and definition, but I am certainly not a bass-head and I suspect that more bass can be had with other headphones, however other people with a greater experience of currently available headphones will know about this.

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 6
UNDER $300...

DT880/990
K701/2
Q701
Mad Dog T50RP

You'll have to define "decent bass" though, the above are my opinions which of course others will dispute.

Amp / source them sufficiently and you will be rewarded.  A little EQ goes a long way too.

FR is only part of the equation IMHO, but for starters, the DT990 is the most bass-bloated of my recommendations.  The DT880 I have always found has a more "dry-cold" upper midrange presentation than the K701, and the FR graph illustrates this from 2-4khz.  FWIW I add a 3db boost at 32Hz on the iTunes EQ with my K701. That paired with a good amp gets me the bass I am looking for... smooth extension, accuracy and detail revealing.  Its a pleasant diversion from Grado bass which is much more "pointy-spikey sounding" by comparison.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 6
You'll have to define "decent bass" though, the above are my opinions which of course others will dispute.

Agreed. And what do you mean by smooth sounding? People's preferences for smooth sounding and decent bass can be quite different.

Can you let us know about a couple of headphones that you have heard, and how or why you liked them (or not)? Then people will have a better idea of what to recommend to you.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 6
The Sony MA900 is also a headphone you should consider.  I have never personally heard one, but I dont think I have ever heard/read anyone on HF call it bright, harsh or bass-shy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back