smsl su-8 dac?
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #256 of 463
I will say the sh-8/su-8 combo makes for a very very flat sound. The sh-8 does have a sound option called SDB which really gives it a nice bump in bass and treble. With that feature on it got close to the crystal clear sound of the jds atom on some headphones. Some headphones I have didn’t need the colored sound option but it’s a nice option to have. I will have to do a review of the sh-8 soon since I haven’t seen any yet on here.
D94E72A0-E016-4E4F-B103-3F86813B0657.jpeg

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #257 of 463
I will say the sh-8/su-8 combo makes for a very very flat sound. The sh-8 does have a sound option called SDB which really gives it a nice bump in bass and treble. With that feature on it got close to the crystal clear sound of the jds atom on some headphones. Some headphones I have didn’t need the colored sound option but it’s a nice option to have. I will have to do a review of the sh-8 soon since I haven’t seen any yet on here.

Sure is a very pretty stack.

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #258 of 463
i received my SU-8 V2 from mass drop over weekend.
I am running it balanced with my Liquid Platinum and HD800s. So far so good.
However i hear a pop everytime there is a change in sample rate. If i go from 44.1Khz to 96Khz i hear a pop in my headphone.
it is just annoying. Anyone else had similar experience.
I just got the SU-8 on Friday from Amazon. I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but when the track changes on Tidal, I will usually (though not always) get some kind of pop or momentary hiccup in the first second of the new track. This is within the same album, so the sampling rate should not be changing (unless the pause between tracks changes the rate momentarily?). Another oddity--I've been comparing the SU-8 with and without the Schiit Eitr, and the hiccup does not appear to occur when using the Eitr. (However, in limited comparisons it does seem to me that the Eitr, which definitely improved things with Mimby, has a negative effect with the SU-8. It introduces obvious harshness on some tracks.)

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #259 of 463
I just got the SU-8 on Friday from Amazon. I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but when the track changes on Tidal, I will usually (though not always) get some kind of pop or momentary hiccup in the first second of the new track. This is within the same album, so the sampling rate should not be changing (unless the pause between tracks changes the rate momentarily?). Another oddity--I've been comparing the SU-8 with and without the Schiit Eitr, and the hiccup does not appear to occur when using the Eitr. (However, in limited comparisons it does seem to me that the Eitr, which definitely improved things with Mimby, has a negative effect with the SU-8. It introduces obvious harshness on some tracks.)
Interesting you found the eitr to make it sound worse. I can't remember if I ever used my eitr with the su-8, but it definately makes my topping D50 and SMSL M9 better than the stock usb. I'll have to try my su-8 when I get a chance. I've got version 1, so maybe there is an issue with version 2 that got introduced when they tweaked it? Fixed one thing and broke another?

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #260 of 463
THis is the link to the SU-8 thesycon driver. Prob wont work on anything but the su8, so you are prob out of luck if you are using a different dac

http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp?p=2

That is the one that I downloaded. I don't have the SU-8 yet due to Massdrop's almost two week shipping time, so I don't know how the driver is labeled once installed.
Anyway, thanks for the response

BTW, I just mentioned that I have another XMOS driver installed as I wonder whether I will need to uninstall it. I guess I will find out Friday, if USPS does not misplace the unit during the handoff from FedEx.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #261 of 463
That is the one that I downloaded. I don't have the SU-8 yet due to Massdrop's almost two week shipping time, so I don't know how the driver is labeled once installed.
Anyway, thanks for the response

BTW, I just mentioned that I have another XMOS driver installed as I wonder whether I will need to uninstall it. I guess I will find out Friday, if USPS does not misplace the unit during the handoff from FedEx.
You might want to uninstall it if its not required for any of your current equipment. Its better to avoid any potential driver conflicts. If you already have other xmos dacs, then don't worry about it.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #262 of 463

My MD Grace m9XX uses an XMOS driver which was not usable for the SU-8,. The SU-8 driver is a quick download and easy install.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #263 of 463
My MD Grace m9XX uses an XMOS driver which was not usable for the SU-8,. The SU-8 driver is a quick download and easy install.
Thanks for that. Though I did not envision using the M9XX nor the Burson XMOS drivers for the SU-8. (both of which are already installed on the laptop I want to use with the SU-8). I noticed that some people mentioned having driver problems. I also had problems with the Burson XMOS drivers when installed on a machine that already had the Grace drivers installed (along with a couple of other drivers for XMOS devices). So I wondered if I will need to uninstall all versions of XMOS drivers to get the SU-8 drivers to work. Knowing this ahead of time would be good. I had one laptop that I had to completely give up on getting the Burson drivers to work on after installing over the M9XX divers. I have to use a different machine for the Conductor V2+ now.

Time will tell. I will post about my experience so others will know.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #264 of 463
I'm planning on ordering an SU-8 this week to pair its balanced outputs with my THX 789. I'm currently using a Mimby with an Eitr. The Eitr noticeably improves audio with the Mimby, which apparently has a mediocre (or worse) USB input. However, the SU-8 has XMOS USB along with other tech claimed to clean up its USB input. Is it necessary or helpful (or at least not harmful) to use the Eitr to feed the SU-8's coaxial input? (I read the SU-8 thread on ASR and the guy who runs that site stated that the Eitr was unnecessary with the SU-8, but was wondering if anyone here has an opinion.)

Initial impressions via Cavalli tube hybrid and hd 600 are showing that the eitr still brings a greater clarity to orchestral instruments that otherwise sound slightly muffled and less true to their real timbres. They are still distinguishable without the eitr of course, but the eitr improves clarity to me in my 15 minutes of comparison.

SU-8 has much better control over the low end than the sdac, incredible actually how indeterminate the location of those lower frequencies are with the Sdac.
Overal it sounds amazing, great control over dynamics and space, I couldn't be more happy at the moment.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #266 of 463
Feb 27, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #267 of 463
I will have to do a review of the sh-8 soon since I haven’t seen any yet on here.
Yes please. Looking for an amp to pair with the SU-8 and the 789 is always sold out. Would you know how it compares to a Massdrop LCX?

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #270 of 463
Yes please. Looking for an amp to pair with the SU-8 and the 789 is always sold out. Would you know how it compares to a Massdrop LCX?
I don't know about the LCX but I had a friend bring over the massdrop CTH and I did like the way the hybrid tube sounded through it. If you need pure power then the LCX will do since I know it pushes alot out. My most demanding headphones are probably my zmf classics(maybe hd600?) and the SH-8 powers those just fine at least via xlr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back