Smyth Research Realiser A16 Speaker Edition
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #106 of 139
Thanks a lot for posting here. It’s also quite difficult for me to write and speak in French and that’s why I use google translate. Last December when I received my Realiser A16 unit converted to Realiser A16 SE, I also received a hard copy of Guide utilisateur français provisoire (v. 0.8), pour le firmware 2.12 or Provisional English (translated from French) user guide (v. 0.8), for firmware 2.12. Is the version of the guide you’ve recently got higher than v. 0.8?

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #108 of 139
It's clearer to me now. By comparing presets from your previous message:
Preset 1= speaker mode 9.1.6 with "spectacular" effects
Preset 2= speaker mode 9.1.6 with "natural" effects
Preset 3 = speaker mode 2.0 to be used with TV or YouTube audio source
Preset 4 = HP mode 9.1.6 to be used with a stereo jazz source
Preset 5 = HP mode 9.1.6 to be used with a stereo voice source

with those from v. 08:
Preset 1 (default): rendered Dolby/DTS multichannel on stereo speakers.
Preset 2: enlarged rendering of source (e.g., sound TV) on stereo speakers.
Preset 3: hi-fi listening of jazz type stereo source on headphones.
Preset 4: hi-fi listening of voice type stereo source on headphones.
Preset 5 to 16: (programmed or no) multi-channel listening through headphones.

it turns out that Preset 2= speaker mode 9.1.6 with "natural" effects is a novelty.

Most likely “spectacular” refers to Dolby/DTS/Auro-3D multichannel on stereo speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #111 of 139
And with these files, we will no longer be blocked for A16 firmware updates that need a factory reset.
You can also customize them to restore a full setup.
I use John's amazing PRIRs for my headphone listening and it will be much faster to rebuild everything in case of full factory reset

May 1, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #112 of 139
After carrying out my personal update to move to V2.0, I’ve got 2 new listening modes 9.1.6 with 2 speakers: “spectacular” and “natural” as seen in the attached screen captures #01 and #02. There are also 3 default users called Speaker 20^, Speaker 45^ and Speaker 60^, as seen in the attached screen capture #03. As I preferred to use an equilateral triangle between me at the top and the 2 speakers, I switched to the user Speaker 60^ and while I played back some Dolby Atmos file, the screen looked as in the attached screen capture #04.

Actually, my Realiser A16 SE was provided with v2.0 software when sent back to me, but I think that was a preliminary version. The current software version is more complex and flexible. In terms of how it sounds, there’s indeed a better audio separation among channels.

Attachments

• 01. Realiser A16SE v2.0 P1 45.jpg
    01. Realiser A16SE v2.0 P1 45.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 02. Realiser A16SE v2.0 P2 45.jpg
    02. Realiser A16SE v2.0 P2 45.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.Realiser A16 SE v2.0 Users.jpg
    03.Realiser A16 SE v2.0 Users.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 04. Realiser A16SE v2.0 P1 60.jpg
    04. Realiser A16SE v2.0 P1 60.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
May 14, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #115 of 139
Maybe you’ve also read that there are various opinions about how this new version of The Dark Side of The Moon sounds. Even if Pink Floyd had no way to record their songs with the most modern recording technique of today, I still think that the Dolby Atmos mix sounds decent.

I borrowed the Dolby Atmos Blu-ray audio disc and as you can see from the attached pictures the menus look stunning. I’d like that prospective buyers to be able to purchase only certain items of the anniversary edition box set, such as the Blu-ray audio disc with the Dolby Atmos mix.

May 14, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #116 of 139
Maybe you’ve also read that there are various opinions about how this new version of The Dark Side of The Moon sounds. Even if Pink Floyd had no way to record their songs with the most modern recording technique of today, I still think that the Dolby Atmos mix sounds decent.

I borrowed the Dolby Atmos Blu-ray audio disc and as you can see from the attached pictures the menus look stunning. I’d like that prospective buyers to be able to purchase only certain items of the anniversary edition box set, such as the Blu-ray audio disc with the Dolby Atmos mix.
I totally agree with you regarding preferred options re: purchasing. I have experience with DSOTM in 4.0 and 5.1, and I am enjoying the crap out of the Dolby Atmos version.

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #117 of 139
As I’ve recently got an Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer, which can bitstream multi-channel DSD and PCM audio signals (up to 5.1) via HDMI cable, then a supposition needs to be tested. Can Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer even be used for immersive audio playback?

To get an answer to the above-mentioned question, I’ve connected the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer to my Realiser A16 SE unit via an HDMI cable. There has been one more condition: the use of some Auro-3D files (embedded in 5.1 FLAC) to be bitstreamed by the streamer to the processor/decoder (Realiser A16 SE). The result is shown in the two attached screenshots: multi-channel flac file (PCM 96 KHz output from Eversolo DMP-A6 rendered as Auro-3D (PCM 5.1) by my Realiser A16 SE unit. I have to specify that the Auromatic upmixer wasn’t activated.

At present, the Realiser A16 SE works on firmware 2.12 and is provided with only two presets for rendering Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio signals. However, Realiser A16 SE can render Auro-3D audio signals using the default Auro-3D listening rooms.

To conclude, an Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer and a Realiser A16 SE can be used together to playback a certain flavour of immersive audio, which is Auro-3D embedded in 5.1 FLAC.
01.jpg
02.jpg

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #119 of 139
Does the A16 automatically detect Auro, or do you have to activate it manually?
Under firmware 2.12, to use Auro-3D decoding on the concerned titles, Auro-3D option has to be activated following “Settings”, System”, “Misc settings”, “Auro-3D” and activation with ADJ+/-.

As part of my tests, the Auromatic upmixer wasn’t activated as on the "Auro listening mode" line, the setting from "AURO-3D" was set to "native".

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #120 of 139
Under firmware 2.12, to use Auro-3D decoding on the concerned titles, Auro-3D option has to be activated following “Settings”, System”, “Misc settings”, “Auro-3D” and activation with ADJ+/-.

As part of my tests, the Auromatic upmixer wasn’t activated as on the "Auro listening mode" line, the setting from "AURO-3D" was set to "native".
Can you use the Auromatic mixer to create vitual Auro set up in speaker mode for conventional 2 and 5.1 channel PCM material? If so, how does it sound to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back